Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

1 edit

Name Game

Premium Member

Convert >scr to avi

From 2007 I have the Ultimate Christmas Scenic Reflections Screensaver on my PC. It seems the company is no longer in business and I would love to have it changed to an .avi so my 94 year old father can run it on his picture frame.

It has 80 beautiful Christmas Scenes and some high quality CD music playing in the background. Is this possible?

ht tp://udm4.com/Windows/Ultimate_Christmas_S-340263

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion

MVM

I don't have a program.. if you don't here from anyone here.. this mentions a few programs you can do it with: »www.ehow.com/how_6322603 ··· avi.html

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

dolphins to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
Careful!

The screensaver tries to install Babylon toolbar and a few other nasties even if you uncheck them during install.

As for converting scr to avi or to any other video format, no video converter will work since they can't read scr format. There's a lot misinformation on the web claiming they will work.

You need to record it in real time with something like Camstudio which I did here...
~temp-201211···8_41.avi
25593344 bytes

EDIT: The above attachment is not the full screensaver and has no sound.

Camstudio records all screen activity in real time and converts it to video. Camstudio is free> »camstudio.org/

For some reason the audio and video failed to interlace so they were split into 2 separate files? Probably can be fixed in settings?

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

2 edits

2 recommendations

vaxvms to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
I was going to make an attempt to make you an avi file but the installation procedure for the screensaver was so nasty (tried to install adware, tried to change my homepage, tried to install a browser toolbar, tried to do other other nasties) I used Revo to uninstall all of it asap (the uninstall procedure opened a browser tab to a website offering to download a beach themed screensaver).

edit: It installed it's toolbar even tho I said no. It also tried to change my default search engine. BEWARE!

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
Westville, NJ

1 recommendation

dolphins

Premium Member

Run SuperAntiSpyware or Malwarebytes to clean up your machine. Then run CCleaner.

Avast stopped the installation of all the crapware and I was able to block it all from phoning home with my firewall.

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

1 edit

1 recommendation

Name Game to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

I was going to make an attempt to make you an avi file but the installation procedure for the screensaver was so nasty (tried to install adware, tried to change my homepage, tried to install a browser toolbar, tried to do other other nasties) I used Revo to uninstall all of it asap (the uninstall procedure opened a browser tab to a website offering to download a beach themed screensaver).

edit: It installed it's toolbar even tho I said no. It also tried to change my default search engine. BEWARE!

Thanks vax guy.

Fully aware of all that..it is tricky even thought one takes out the the check marks on the pre-install..there is one last screen that pops up to say it is all finished..but then on that screen you have to again take out two more check marks for the two things you mentioned to make sure that is not installed. When one does that all you do then get is the .scr installed in the Windows folder and nothing else. And of course it is that .scr that I would like to change into an .avi.
Name Game

Name Game to dolphins

Premium Member

to dolphins
Hey Buddie,
long time no chat..thanks..I have also come to the same conclusion that nothing out there that claims they can do scr to avi will really work smoothly for this one..and your way might be the best try at a solution using a real time record.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
said by Name Game:

Fully aware of all that..it is tricky even thought one takes out the the check marks on the pre-install..there is one last screen that pops up to say it is all finished..but then on that screen you have to again take out two more check marks for the two things you mentioned to make sure that is not installed. One one does that all you do then get is the .scr installed in the Windows folder and nothing else. And of course it is that .scr that I would like to change into an .avi.

thank's for the heads up in your OP

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
Westville, NJ

dolphins to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
How have you been, my friend? I don't frequent the security forums like I used to and I don't help out with malware removal forums anymore either. I guess I got tired of repeat offenders?

If you read the supported file formats in each of the video converters mentioned on websites claiming they can convert .scr files you'll see that none of them include .scr format.

You may want to truncate the url so your link is not clickable?

Edit: I see you already did so.