Premium
join:2003-01-02
Alexandria, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits

Want to sell laptop | Build PC

2 parter!

1) I want to sell my laptop. It's a Sony VAIO i7 with a GT 540 M and 6 GB of RAM. It's served me well but I just think I want a desktop.

Anyone have any ideas on how best to sell it? Ebay? Craigslist? Some other website? Do you think it's possible to get around 700-800 for it?

2) Building off of Question #1, I want to build a desktop. It'll be used primarily for just random web surfing but it'll also be used for WoW and some other semi-graphic intensive games (CoD, for example). I'd like to only spend about $2-300 of my own money so if you think I can get the 700-800, can you build me a good system with $1000ish?

The $1000 should include everything. Monitor, keyboard, mouse included. I have an SSD already and an external. I barely use them up so, for now, you can exclude a HD from the cost of the machine.

Thanks in advance!

Rifleman
Premium
join:2004-02-09
p1a
Be prepared to take a large hit when you try to sell it. I had an MSI with the I7 and GTX 570M. I paid 1700 with taxes in March and just sold it for 750. I had it listed for a long time. My models still sells in the 1200 range plus tax.

eve
Premium
Alexandria, VA
reply to eve
I purchased it in the $1200 range. And, yeah. I was expecting to take a large hit. I believe I got an offer on some website for $700 a month or two ago.

And, I edited the first post. I think the max cost I'd like to spend is $1000.

eve
Premium
Alexandria, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to eve
I came up with this build: »pcpartpicker.com/p/pe0b

I do have a quick question. Can I simply take the SSD currently in my laptop and hook it up to the new built PC and it'll work just like that?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
said by eve:

I do have a quick question. Can I simply take the SSD currently in my laptop and hook it up to the new built PC and it'll work just like that?

Yep. You might want to do a quick format on it (do NOT do a full-zero write) and install a fresh copy of windows.

Thoughts on the build: Overall it looks good. You picked generally good components, but I do have some comments:

• Do you want any data drive? I doubt 1 SSD will be enough for all your storage needs. I'd grab at least a 1TB WD Caviar Black (7200rpm, 64MB cache, SATA 3).

• Personal preference here, but I would go with a better PSU (I like my PSUs at silver/gold rating and modular). My favorite brands, based on quality and reputation, are Corsair, Seasonic, and Rosewill. Not saying Antec is bad, but I would not buy any "eco"/"green" PSU to be powering my gaming rig. Get something highly-rated (in efficiency) and modular (I have had a power cable just up and die on me, so swapping it out vs. the whole unit is a plus).

• If you want an alternative to Nvidia, I'd go for a Radeon 7950 for $300, which comes with the following four games free: Far Cry 3, Hitman, Sleeping Dogs, Medal of Honor: Warfighter. That's about $160 worth of free games. The 660Ti is a fantastic card, and EVGA puts out great products (myself having bought two of their mobos and three of their GPUs), but I wanted to give you an alternative. AMD seems to scale better at higher resolutions and in multi-card situations, but Nvidia can offer more power straight-up. Both are fairly equal this iteration, and both companies have driver issues.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

eve
Premium
Alexandria, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to eve
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll stick with the 660 Ti. I have no preference between AMD/NVIDIA but I'll take the cheaper card especially since I have no desire to play any of those games (ha).

For now, I don't have a desire to get a data drive. My 256 GB SSD is barely half full and I've got all the programs I need on it already. External is 3 TB. It's certainly not the most efficient way but if I run out space on the SSD, I can just install stuff on there. I'll get a HD eventually, of course, maybe 3-6 months after building it.

eve
Premium
Alexandria, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to eve
Will I be able to tell the difference between an i3-3220 and a i5-3570K?

Most of what I'll be doing is WoW on "Good" settings. I don't need nor desire Ultra or whatever the highest is.

Follow up: Would I tell the difference between a HD 7950 and a HD 7870? Changing the MoBo to a Gigabyte GA-Z66-D3H drops the price of the system by $200 and from some cursory reading, the differences between the two systems won't be realized by a user like me.

The "life span" of this particular system would ideally be about a year to a year and a half before I upgrade it.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
The 7950 and 7870 sit on either side of the GTX 660 Ti in terms of performance.

How does switching mobos drop the price by $200? Both of them are the same in price.

I would go for an i5-3450/3550/3570 (non-K). K is only for overclocking or a faster integrated GPU (neither of which you will be using). The i3 is dual core, but the i5 is quad-core.

With that GPU, you should be running WoW on Ultra settings regardless of the CPU.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

eve
Premium
Alexandria, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to eve
Hmm. I thought the MoBo was less. I meant that changing the CPU, GPU and MoBo dropped it by $200. Might have changed something else though.

/shrug

3570K seems to be worth the possibility of OCing in the future. It's +/- $10 from the three other options you mentioned so might as well spring for it.

eve
Premium
Alexandria, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

said by eve:

Yep. You might want to do a quick format on it (do NOT do a full-zero write) and install a fresh copy of windows.

Could you clue me in on what this entails? I tried googling and it wasn't exactly helpful.

eve
Premium
Alexandria, VA
reply to eve
Also, after much deliberation, I purchased these items the past two days. Setting it up this weekend.

»pcpartpicker.com/p/pOfu

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to eve
You realize you'll get a CPU heatsink/fan with your CPU, right? I mean, yeah, an aftermarket will get you slightly cooler and a bit quieter but save the $30 and get yourself a better power supply. And don't forget your mouse.

eve
Premium
Alexandria, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to eve
Yeah. I plan to do some OCing so I figured I'd spring for a separate cooler. And, I think the PSU will be fine. It got decent enough reviews. Maybe I should've spent an extra $30-$50 for a +100W and 80 Plus Gold or something but I think I'll be fine.