Premium Member
join:2000-10-21
Kailua Kona, HI
·Hawaiian Telcom

Konaguy to Dampier

Premium Member

to Dampier

Re: Time Warner Boosting Standard Speed to 15Mbps

Norman Santos, Oceanic Time Warner Cable's V.P of Network Operations, told me the standard tier speed upgrade won't happen in Hawaii until the end of the first quarter of 2013. They have to reallocate additional analog bandwidth to make this happen.

Most, if not all, the island's cable systems have been upgraded to 750Mhz.

Oceanic did an across the board speed upgrade about a year and half ago. They raised the Standard tier from 5Mbps to 10Mbps and the Turbo tier from 8Mbps to 15Mbps. That upgrade didn't go so well. I ended up dropping back to the standard tier for a few months until they resolved all the network issues.

I'm afraid we'll have a repeat of this fiasco and the one in 2005, if TWC forces Oceanic to roll out this speed upgrade before they're ready.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Konaguy:

Norman Santos, Oceanic Time Warner Cable's V.P of Network Operations, told me the standard tier speed upgrade won't happen in Hawaii until the end of the first quarter of 2013. They have to reallocate additional analog bandwidth to make this happen.

Most, if not all, the island's cable systems have been upgraded to 750Mhz.

Oceanic did an across the board speed upgrade about a year and half ago. They raised the Standard tier from 5Mbps to 10Mbps and the Turbo tier from 8Mbps to 15Mbps. That upgrade didn't go so well. I ended up dropping back to the standard tier for a few months until they resolved all the network issues.

I'm afraid we'll have a repeat of this fiasco and the one in 2005, if TWC forces Oceanic to roll out this speed upgrade before they're ready.

I think TWC has been doing an upgrade if they are moving these to 134.x and 135.x for QAM listings:

On Maui, on or about 12/18/12, Akaku: Access will move from Ch. 52 to Ch. 55 on the analog and digital lineup. UH Maui College/MCTV which is currently available to customers in both analog and digital format as part of our Basic Service tier will be made available in a digital format only on Ch. 354. This channel will remain in the Basic and/or Standard Service tier, as it will continue to be available in a digital format that can be viewed using digital cable equipment, such as a digital cable set-top box or a CableCARD-equipped Unidirectional Digital Cable Product (UDCP). This channel will continue to be viewable on digital TVs and other devices that include a QAM tuner on QAM Ch. 27.54.

Statewide, on or about 12/19/12, the following channels will have new QAM channel numbers: CSPAN Ch. 134.3, CSPAN2 Ch. 134.8, KKEA Ch. 134.11, Antenna TV Ch. 134.13, and Olelo: FOCUS Ch. 134.49. These changes apply to digital TVs without a digital set-top box. Please refer to your TV manual to auto-tune your digital TV channels. Exact channel numbers may vary.

For Oahu military bases on or about 12/19/12, channel 53 BET will be viewable only with a digital set-top box. BET no longer will be viewable on analog TVs, VCRs, DVD recorders or similar devices plugged directly into your cable line. This will not affect TVs you currently have connected to a digital set-top box. Note: BET is on digital channel 908 or 598. Also during this time, the following channels will have new QAM channel numbers: Command Channel (Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force) Ch. 135.4, Education Channel/CNN (Air Force) Ch. 135.5, MWR4/Flight Info (Army Navy, Air Force) Ch. 135.7. Please refer to your TV manual to auto-tune your digital TV channels. These QAM channel changes apply to digital TVs without a digital set-top box. Exact channel numbers may vary.

to have channels on 134.x (855MHz) your system has to be either 860MHz or 1GHz and I believe TWC has probably been doing upgrades if they are moving channels that high because you can't get away with having digital channels past 123 (789MHz) on a 750MHz due to roll off issues in the amplifier cascades not to mention the equipment can't handle it.

I know that: Lahaina/Molokai/Lanai was a 550MHz system that was upgraded in the second half of the 2000-2009 decade to at least 860MHz because that gear was cheap enough and the only gear made at the time besides 1GHz gear. I remember when they had a pretty small digital lineup on that system.

The upgrades that you were told about are 8 channel bonding which I believe that Oceanic has already reclaimed four more slots for and not to mention if they fixing to go all the way to 860MHz that would mean they could start bonding on december 19th if they wanted to if that is when they are firing up QAM modulators for frequencies above 122 (783MHz).

Konaguy
Live From Hawaii
Premium Member
join:2000-10-21
Kailua Kona, HI
·Hawaiian Telcom

Konaguy

Premium Member

said by motorola870:

The upgrades that you were told about are 8 channel bonding which I believe that Oceanic has already reclaimed four more slots for and not to mention if they fixing to go all the way to 860MHz that would mean they could start bonding on December 19th if they wanted to if that is when they are firing up QAM modulators for frequencies above 122 (783MHz).

I spoke to Norman Santos again and mentioned what you told me. He said they're unsure if they can reclaim enough analog bandwidth to make this speed upgrade possible in Hawaii.