pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb

Premium Member

[Tablet] 4.1.x vs 4.2.x what's the difference?

arent both of these considered Jelly bean or am I reading it wrong?

I have a Xoom with ICS 4.0.4 and I'm cool with it, I actually like it alot, but some people have their BVD's in a bunch because it's not getting JB, well for the Verizon version it's delayed or it wont get 4.2 but i thought i read it will get 4.1. What's the big difference with the versions? What will I be missing?

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 recommendation

dib22

4.2 is a "new flavor of Jelly Bean"

Check this link for the changes:

»www.android.com/whatsnew/

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

4 edits

Hayward0 to pcdebb

Premium Member

to pcdebb
I'm pretty hard pressed to see any real functional differens between 4.0 ICS, and 4.1 Jellybean.

Supposedly more efficient and fluid as the big thing.... but moved from a Tegra 2 to Tegra 3 processor at the same time so hard to say how much of the improvement is OS and how much is the processor.
Definitely though between the two much snappier.

Appearance wise ICS and Jellybean are near identical. Some new things in settings but that's about it.

Haven't seen 4.2 yet

Personally I'm looking forward to 4.3 which is rumored to be called Key Lime Pie Given where I am. What else would work for a K flavor... well suppose could be Kiwi but can't think of anything else... Ketchup would be just disgusting

(Doubt though it will be major enough to be called 5.0)

3.0 Honeycomb was an odd ball sort of a pre 4.0 released only for tablets, and then ICS brought that stuff to phones as well which was a major change from 2.3 Jellybean is nothing like that, mostly the supposed speed improvements, probably most noticeable on lesser processors.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

1 recommendation

lordpuffer to pcdebb

Premium Member

to pcdebb
I can tell you that my Galaxy Nexus (GSM, non-Verizon) came with 4.0.x. However, the day I set it up, 4.1 was offered through it. 4.1 seemed snappier than 4.0.x.

I liked 4.1 (the original Jelly Bean), and then about one week ago 4.2 (I guess different flavor beans ) was offered and I updated to that.

The differences do not seem that great between 4.1 and 4.2. Some additional functionality options. I do notice the 'lock' screen to be different for it stays on longer and offers some additional options that I haven't messed with yet. Also, many people (including myself) are complaining that 4.2 broke bluetooth and is missing the month of December, so we are now waiting for 4.2.1 which should fix these issues, which is rumored to come out any day now.

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium Member
join:2001-04-07
Summerville, SC

mm to pcdebb

Premium Member

to pcdebb
I like the right side pull down to control your settings. It works like the notification pull down, just swipe on the right side instead of the center. That came with 4.2 OTA on my Nexus 7.

The email app was also enhanced to allow pinching (zoom). It's off by default though which I found kinda odd.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to Hayward0

Premium Member

to Hayward0
said by Hayward0:

I'm pretty hard pressed to see any real functional differens between 4.0 ICS, and 4.1 Jellybean.

True... really not much difference. Google was really pushing "Buttery Smooth" as being the big difference (screens are smoother as they load quicker) but on my S3 they were smooth already so I don't see _any_ difference. IMHO the main difference between 4.0 and 4.1 is Google Now. But to be honest, it's really not very useful. Yes it's cool that it places notifications on the phone about sports scores, nearby locations, travel times, etc. But to me it's more of a novelty. It was cool when someone added a entry to my calendar for a Google+ Event and awhile before the event Now told me I needed to leave at 7:02 to get there at 7:30. I do want to see 4.2 as I like the Sphere addition to the camera. Many people are posting them on Google+. It's a 360 photo of the area that you can make. I think with this ability being built into Android we will be seeing more and more cameras running Android.

VegasMan
Living the Vegas life.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Las Vegas, NV
·CenturyLink

1 recommendation

VegasMan to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
said by lordpuffer:

many people (including myself) are complaining that 4.2 is missing the month of December, so we are now waiting for 4.2.1 which should fix these issues, which is rumored to come out any day now.

I'm not complaining, I'd be happy to skip December.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

1 edit

Hayward0 to tcope

Premium Member

to tcope
said by tcope:

I do want to see 4.2 as I like the Sphere addition to the camera. Many people are posting them on Google+. It's a 360 photo of the area that you can make. I think with this ability being built into Android we will be seeing more and more cameras running Android.

4.1 Already has a panorama function on the camera that is kinda so so in my experimentation (Seen Apps that do it better) Or do you mean a 3D 360 deg? Can't see how you could do that with a simple lens.
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

It is different then that. It's an all around view and you pan. Search on Google plus for sphere. Really amazing.

Sandman37
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Strafford, MO

Sandman37 to mm

Premium Member

to mm
said by mm:

I like the right side pull down to control your settings. It works like the notification pull down, just swipe on the right side instead of the center. That came with 4.2 OTA on my Nexus 7.

Cool. I didn't know about that.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL

pcdebb

Premium Member

ok, well, I will just enjoy what I have. If I get it fine, if not oh well. If i really want it I can just find a ROM out there. I've already rooted it.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

1 edit

Hayward0 to tcope

Premium Member

to tcope
said by tcope:

It is different then that. It's an all around view and you pan. Search on Google plus for sphere. Really amazing.

Ok an interesting feature but rather impractical. Requires taking a bazillion (relatively speaking) properly overlapped pix... and the demos I saw were not really full spheres, more like 180 with just more vertical and scroll zoom.
And really only suitable for static subjects with nothing moving around.

VS real ones that are full spheres, done in a single shot with a very pricey lens system.
Hayward0

Hayward0 to pcdebb

Premium Member

to pcdebb
said by pcdebb:

Yeah not sure why they went to 4.2 vs 4.1x... yes both are considered Jellybean.
Hayward0

1 edit

Hayward0 to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
said by lordpuffer:

I can tell you that my Galaxy Nexus (GSM, non-Verizon) came with 4.0.x. However, the day I set it up, 4.1 was offered through it. 4.1 seemed snappier than 4.0.x.

Again that probably largely depends on the device processor. My guess is (and some here have said as much on the high end devices not seeing much difference) probably most significant noticeable on lesser processor/ram devices.

I changed devices and from Tegra2 to (used)Tegra3 and it had already been upgraded to Jellybean, so very hard to say how much is the OS improvement... but overall much snappier and better able to do processor intensive multi task with out temp freezing or crashing, between the two changes.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
Netgear R7000
Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

nekkidtruth to Hayward0

Premium Member

to Hayward0
said by Hayward0:

said by pcdebb:

Yeah not sure why they went to 4.2 vs 4.1x... yes both are considered Jellybean.

Not sure, that is rather odd.

Also as a side note, there is significant difference between ICS (4.0) and Jelly Bean (4.1). The entire OS gained a very large boost in terms of smoothness and speed. The difference between Jelly Bean 4.1 and 4.2 however, isn't significantly large. It's mostly tweaks with a few added features.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by nekkidtruth:

said by Hayward0:

said by pcdebb:

Not sure, that is rather odd.

Also as a side note, there is significant difference between ICS (4.0) and Jelly Bean (4.1). The entire OS gained a very large boost in terms of smoothness and speed.

Well again that has been largely open to debate here... those with high end devices seem to have seen very little difference... but those with lower grade processors/ram probably (particularly low end phones vs high end ) have seen much more improvement from the supposed efficiency improvements.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
London, ON
Netgear R7000
Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

nekkidtruth

Premium Member

said by Hayward0:

Well again that has been largely open to debate here... those with high end devices seem to have seen very little difference... but those with lower grade processors/ram probably (particularly low end phones vs high end ) have seen much more improvement from the supposed efficiency improvements.

I own an S3, and there was significant difference between 4.0 and 4.1. Yes my S3 was very quick before moving to 4.1, but the jump after going to 4.1 was very noticeable. Same across multiple high end devices I have access to. Not sure what to tell you.

Would you mind pointing me to some discussions or debates going on about not seeing a significant difference? I'm interested to see what's being said.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

4 edits

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by nekkidtruth:

said by Hayward0:

I own an S3, and there was significant difference between 4.0 and 4.1. Yes my S3 was very quick before moving to 4.1, but the jump after going to 4.1 was very noticeable. Same across multiple high end devices I have access to. Not sure what to tell you.

Would you mind pointing me to some discussions or debates going on about not seeing a significant difference? I'm interested to see what's being said.

Welll look up in this thread a S3 person saying they saw no real difference. Maybe yours lower or theirs OS ram difference not real sure on their specs.

And again me changing gen Tegra processor 2-3 already updated to JB at the same time can't really speak to that factor.

Was it ith processor or OS??? but seems significant of lower processors and ram JB did make a difference as they claimed....high end devices not so much.
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope to Hayward0

Premium Member

to Hayward0
said by Hayward0:

Ok an interesting feature but rather impractical. Requires taking a bazillion (relatively speaking) properly overlapped pix... and the demos I saw were not really full spheres, more like 180 with just more vertical and scroll zoom.
And really only suitable for static subjects with nothing moving around.

VS real ones that are full spheres, done in a single shot with a very pricey lens system.

It's really pretty quick (taking the photos). As with pano pictures, you can move pretty quickly without having to stop. I have a friend that takes quite a few:

»plus.google.com/u/1/1081 ··· 20/posts

Some of his earlier ones are much better as they are day shots. I do a lot of backpacking and one of the things I always tell people is that a photos does not really do the scene justice. Pano is much better because it gives you a slightly better perspective (I usually take panos that are around 120 degrees so they don't distort). But with sphere shots people will be able to look all around at the view, up and down even.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
USA

Lone Wolf to pcdebb

Premium Member

to pcdebb
said by pcdebb:

What's the big difference with the versions? What will I be missing?

There are no BIG differences between them, only small ones.

I'm rooted and fully modded but appreciated the finer changes on 4.2.

Better Settings.
Better Camera.
Daydream is useful.
Faster and smoother.

See »developer.android.com/ab ··· ean.html

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
London, ON
Netgear R7000
Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

nekkidtruth to Hayward0

Premium Member

to Hayward0
said by Hayward0:

Welll look up in this thread a S3 person saying they saw no real difference. Maybe yours lower or theirs OS ram difference not real sure on their specs.

And again me changing gen Tegra processor 2-3 already updated to JB at the same time can't really speak to that factor.

Was it ith processor or OS??? but seems significant of lower processors and ram JB did make a difference as they claimed....high end devices not so much.

Ok so one person?

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

mromero to nekkidtruth

Premium Member

to nekkidtruth
own a s3, huge difference between 4.0 ics touchwiz and AOKP JB and CyanogenMod JB.
mromero

2 edits

mromero to pcdebb

Premium Member

to pcdebb
from what i've read
*Lock Screen Widgets
*Pinch to Zoom in GMail
*Two Finger Pull Down Quick Settings
*Redesigned Camera App with PhotoSphere (at the moment you can only post those to G+)
*Google's own version of Swype Keyboard
*Daydream Screensaver
*Multiple User Account Support

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· tYXIlUV4

CyanogenMod and AOKP should have some features baked in within a few weeks from what i've read if you wanna play. Verizon will have Jelly Bean out by the time the Mayans say its the end of the world.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to pcdebb

MVM

to pcdebb
Jellybean does run more efficiently than ICS, but if your tablet performs well now, then I'd lose no sleep over it.

I do like the new Swype-style keyboard that is stock with JB 4.2, and the ability to add individual users to the device may come in handy for some (not for me, as my tablet is only for my personal use).