share rss forum feed

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5

Warrnambool (Victoria, Australia) exchange fire

Looks messy. Wonder what happened to the fire suppression system(s)?

»www.flickr.com/photos/telstra-co···0114026/

Voodoo288
Common Sense Dictates
Premium
join:2002-08-19
Richmond, VA
Possibly started in a room outside the system? The worst location appears to be a storage room.
--
"...But if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you.”

battleop

join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

reply to TomS_
BLAZING FAST INTERNET!!!!

What was the cause of the fire?

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
London, UK
Not sure yet. Havent come across any news articles that give any hints.

Very interested to hear what caused it though...!

rhys9

@bigpond.net.au
That looks of similar age to the exchange where i live and it built the same way there is f*#k all in the way of fire suppression equipment!

Haven't heard what cause this fire.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
London, UK
reply to TomS_
Mayor wants answers:

»www.standard.net.au/story/114495···n/?cs=12

Unfortunately he wants more reliance on wireless and satellite (?!?!?) technologies.

I dont disagree, but it needs to be done in the right way.

I posted a reply to the article because one person suggested duplicating each copper phone line to another exchange. That kind of approach is simply unfeasible.

The copper network is in managed decline, with the Governments fibre network (love it or hate it) the likely successor. In any case, one or many fibre networks are the future, not upgrades to the copper network.

IMO what needs to happen is decentralisation of the customer access network, like installing street cabinets that handle a small number of customers, and feature diverse backhaul to geographically redundant aggregation points. This allows any single node, network segment, or aggregation point failure, without disrupting service to the larger majority of customers.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
said by TomS_:

I posted a reply to the article because one person suggested duplicating each copper phone line to another exchange. That kind of approach is simply unfeasible.

The most feasible solution for preventing such a disaster from happening again would be to invest in a proper fire suppression system. There should have been one in place to begin with.

said by TomS_:

IMO what needs to happen is decentralisation of the customer access network, like installing street cabinets that handle a small number of customers, and feature diverse backhaul to geographically redundant aggregation points. This allows any single node, network segment, or aggregation point failure, without disrupting service to the larger majority of customers.

That is how our local telcos (Telus and Bell) have been doing things in newer subdivisions and even some older areas that are being upgraded in the last decade or so. Copper from the customers runs to cabinets centrally located in each neighborhood, and from the cabinets it's onto a fiber network from there.

pb2k

join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TELUS
said by TheMG:

That is how our local telcos (Telus and Bell) have been doing things in newer subdivisions and even some older areas that are being upgraded in the last decade or so. Copper from the customers runs to cabinets centrally located in each neighborhood, and from the cabinets it's onto a fiber network from there.

Still goes back to the CO, and then connects using T1's to the DMS (or individual POTS lines for CLEC's). Easier to fix, but still not immune to fire.

WackyGaru

join:2009-02-10
Grande Prairie, AB
And they don't have diverse backhaul, just point to point.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
London, UK
reply to TomS_
Still no word on what caused the fire from what Ive been able to find (unless I missed it), but heres a couple of news articles with some pr0n. Pr0n is always good.

Trying to work out what transmission kit is pictured here. I have a feeling it may be Ericsson, as I believe that is what Telstra uses in their network.

»www.standard.net.au/story/115317···ns-work/

»www.standard.net.au/story/116505···/?cs=135

battleop

In that first one Technicians spend an awful lot of time checking wires. I wonder if they do anything else...
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

zed173

join:2010-07-17
Mississauga, ON
reply to TomS_
From the article in the second link apparently they did not actually have any fire suppression system in the CO, just an alarm link to the fire department. I can honestly say I've never heard of that before (at least here in Canada) and seems highly irresponsible, just a problem waiting to happen (which it did).

JoeHemi

join:2011-05-06
Bellevue, WA
reply to TomS_
What an absolute mess. Saving a dime today will cost you plenty tomorrow. Talk about putting all your eggs in one unprotected basket.

battleop

1 recommendation

If you can't do it right the first time you can always do it wrong the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th...