uniqs
share rss forum feed

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC

13" rMBP

Picked one up at the black friday sale (the middle config) and I have to say the screen is AWESOME - but it's noticeably less portable than the 11" MBA despite only being slightly heavier. I think it's the increased thickness. I tend to carry my MBA with one hand while on rounds so I can type notes on it and I don't think I'd feel comfortable doing that on the 13" rMBP.

Using the 13" side by side with the 11" I think that what REALLY makes the screen stand out is the amazing color accuracy on it. Looking at my background photos cycling on each puts the 11" to shame.

The 13" is also only slightly faster - despite having a 2.5Ghz i5 compared to the 1.6Ghz i5 and twice as much RAM (though I guess perhaps it doesn't take much to do calendar, email, safari and Citrix)

Overall I'm very very impressed with the 13" rMBP but I'm just not sure it fits into my lifestyle as much as the 11" MBA does - that is as a very lightweight, highly portable secondary computer. I actually think it would make a better primary computer for a college student or a "mobile warrior".

Anyone else with a 13" rMBP have thoughts on it?

Debating if I'll keep it.

As an aside - I also got a quad-core i7 Mac mini to replace the i5 I was using as a server and despite not having my 16GB RAM upgrade yet it's significantly faster than the old mac mini even with its 8GB of RAM (just idling on my old one used around 4.6GB and with only 15hrs of uptime I'm at >6GB of pagefile use on the new one so far).
Expand your moderator at work

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Count Zero

Re: 13" rMBP

I recently bought a 13" rMBP for myself...to replace the aging Dell laptop my employer issued 4 years ago under a new BYOD policy. I absolutely love the new machine and find it quite portable. I did consider the 13" MBA, but preferred the extra ports and better screen for only a half-pound more in weight. An 11" machine just wouldn't work for my eyes...so that wasn't on the short list for me.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Count Zero
If you already have a portable notebook I don't see the need for a 2nd. I have a MBA and the 15" rMBP, using the MBA when on the road and MBP when doing some work at home. I gave my nephew my old 13" MBP (2.26GHz 2010 model)...had no use for it after getting the MBA.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
Winston Salem, NC
Yeah if I keep the 13" I'll sell the 11".

RobNyc
Premium
join:2002-03-06
New York, NY
reply to Count Zero
Did you guys get the external superdrive with the rMBP ?

How do you like the retina display vs the standard

RiseAbove
Premium
join:2004-01-30
reply to Count Zero
Personally I would do what I did and get an 11" Air with the i7 2.0 processor, and 8GB of ram. The thing hauls big time. I was in the same boat as you not to long ago, i couldn't decide if i wanted a bigger laptop for more power to phase out my mac mini at work instead of having an Air (mid 2011 model) and the mini and going back and forth. I thought I could combine them into one world and be set. So I got a 15" macbook pro, used it for a day or two and returned it. Then when the new 2012 Airs came out I just maxed out the 11" version. It's the ultimate portable machine and it has a lot of power. I take this thing everywhere and it is probably the best laptop I have ever owned.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
Winston Salem, NC
reply to RobNyc
Nah - I can use AirDisk from my Mac Pro.

The retina screen is AMAZING.

I returned the 13" today, after using it extensively while on call I just wasn't as pleased with it due to the heavier weight and larger size than the 11" (which made a bigger deal then I could have imagined before actually having them both in my hands at the same time untethered).

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
Winston Salem, NC
reply to RiseAbove
The i5 isn't a major drawback to me (though I think 4GB of RAM is getting to be the lower-limit of acceptable for multitasking at all) since I use the Mac Pro and Mac Mini Server for any "heavier" work. The size and weight of the 11" MBA is just perfect for a laptop/secondary computer.

spinJR
what exit?

join:2002-01-07
reply to Count Zero
i have a work issued 15" MBP which is a monster, hate the form factor so i bought a 13" Air and used that as my work device for the past 18 months. Last week i got the 13" MBPr and its the perfect mix of both worlds. The 8GB of ram makes a huge difference because i tend to always run a windows virtual machine and on the air that wasnt conducive with 4GB. Id say if you are smart about space the 128GB SSD is fine even with all my work files.

the retina display is awesome but i would caution you to go to the apple store and try your resolution. i like smaller resolutions and this is retina "scaled down" so it is not entirely crisp like retina in default mode with i believe is 1280x1050. to me that resolution is unacceptable; however even scaled down the real estate and screen is a welcome addition over the Air.

now what to do with the air.......
--
welcome to NJ, pay the 7% and go home!

RobNyc
Premium
join:2002-03-06
New York, NY
reply to Count Zero
I have had 15" MBP 1440x900, 17" 1920x1200, 15" anti-glare hi-res currently 1680x1050 and had the 27" iMac 2560x1440 before.

def going to the apple store because those retina resolution #'s seem weird to me and exaggerated on those screen but lets see. I don't think they should of gotten higher than the 27" iMac res on a 13 or 15.