how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

XPY

join:2012-11-24
Burlington, ON

Satellite service & set up?

OK so I’m new so be patient any advice would be appreciated.
I’ll keep in point form to keep it short.

Have property in PA live in Canada.
Had Star Choice now Shaw Direct satellite service.
Property in PA only gets used 2 wks / year.
Had satellite receiver registered in Canada on friends account and working in PA, his service allowed up to 6 receivers on account no extra charge. Bought all old equipment used.
Friend lost satellite service issue with trees.

Can’t seem to find anyone using Shaw Direct in Canada That I know.

Neighbors in PA seem to use;

Bell
Dish network
Direct TV

Question:

Is it possible to buy old used equipment for these satellite providers and just register the receiver on a neighbors account?
If so what do I need to know about the equipment so it will work?

Skyway
Skyway

join:2003-02-04
Mission, BC

Your questions are in reference to signal theft which I do not think is allowed on most public forums...

XPY

Burlington, ON

Yes you are absulutely correct! I forgot what public forums are for. I should protect the intersts of big business and lobists more diligentlt. So sorry.

freeeedom

@telus.net
reply to XPY

You do realize that when you are in PA America is you can get your full TV from the online editions of the U.S..... Get some type of temporary Internet connection with about 15-30GB's and enjoy it that way. Unless you like trashbin quality Canadian commercials on U.S. programming.
Unless there is no HiSpeed available. Bare minimum speeds would need to be 2Mbps for a stable stream.

But who wants TV for two weeks of vacation anyways.
Shaw direct used to promote their vacation receiver and portable dish but that may have disappeared due to two people sharing one account. I not sure if the shawdirects/telesats new AnikG1 is going to be more restricted for its Canadian TV footprint. Whenever it finally gets launched and programming(high def priority) gets shifted around on the current satellites(anikf1r/anikf2).

On the far end of the scale is one of them old 8 foot dishes and scraping up whatever tv is still unscrambled on the network feeds.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

said by freeeedom :

You do realize that when you are in PA America is you can get your full TV from the online editions of the U.S....

That doesn't help with Canadian content though.
Having lived in N Vt for a decade or so, I really missed it when I moved away.
In fact I found out about major US news stories on Canadian TV first... like by months before they would turn up finally on 60min or something.
And while much of it is US shows Canada produces, some very good series (as well as a large number or ours actually made there)

Unfortunately even by internet you can't get access to Canadian TV in the US unless maybe you can work at well enough spoofing a Canadian IP.
--

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
reply to XPY

You could just get your own satellite service in Canada then take the receiver with you when you go to PA.

XPY

Burlington, ON
reply to Hayward

said by Hayward:

said by freeeedom :

You do realize that when you are in PA America is you can get your full TV from the online editions of the U.S....

That doesn't help with Canadian content though.
Having lived in N Vt for a decade or so, I really missed it when I moved away.
In fact I found out about major US news stories on Canadian TV first... like by months before they would turn up finally on 60min or something.
And while much of it is US shows Canada produces, some very good series (as well as a large number or ours actually made there)

Unfortunately even by internet you can't get access to Canadian TV in the US unless maybe you can work at well enough spoofing a Canadian IP.

Yep Canadian content is key. Since the turfing of the fair doctrine policy in the US the media seems to be under someone elses control.

XPY

Burlington, ON
reply to ilikeme

said by ilikeme:

You could just get your own satellite service in Canada then take the receiver with you when you go to PA.

Think you are correct.

XPY

Burlington, ON
reply to freeeedom

said by freeeedom :

You do realize that when you are in PA America is you can get your full TV from the online editions of the U.S..... Get some type of temporary Internet connection with about 15-30GB's and enjoy it that way. Unless you like trashbin quality Canadian commercials on U.S. programming.
Unless there is no HiSpeed available. Bare minimum speeds would need to be 2Mbps for a stable stream.

But who wants TV for two weeks of vacation anyways.
Shaw direct used to promote their vacation receiver and portable dish but that may have disappeared due to two people sharing one account. I not sure if the shawdirects/telesats new AnikG1 is going to be more restricted for its Canadian TV footprint. Whenever it finally gets launched and programming(high def priority) gets shifted around on the current satellites(anikf1r/anikf2).

On the far end of the scale is one of them old 8 foot dishes and scraping up whatever tv is still unscrambled on the network feeds.

I will inquire about it thanks.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
reply to XPY

said by XPY:

Yep Canadian content is key. Since the turfing of the fair doctrine policy in the US the media seems to be under someone elses control.

Well the Canadians do it too. I have no interest in seeing the US stuff from Canada but I would like to see the Canadian content of their networks. Works the same way you must have an IP from Canada.
--