how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LordMetrolan

join:2012-11-24
Raleigh, NC

Peroidic Earthlink disconnects

I have had a 6M EL DSL line for a few years and have recently developed an issue where the line "drops out" every so often. This can be seen from ping either from the dsl router or from a pc. Usual ping time to the EL router is 25ms but when I am having an issue it will go up to 300+ ms or packets will be entirely lost.

I started years ago with a Netopia DSL modem but after about 4 years i developed some flakiness and EL sold me a Xytel for way too much. That lasted until about last December when I changed it for a TP-link which seemed fine until a couple of months ago when this issue developed. I put in a D-link 2540B but it doesnt seem to have made a difference.

The problem can be 'fixed' by either rebooting the dsl modem or downing the wan interface and bringing it back up. There doesnt seem to be any pattern to the outages. It could be fine for an hour and or have issues every 5 minutes or so.

Here are the line stats:
Mode: G.DMT
Type: Fast
Line Coding: Trellis On

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (dB): 14.9 12.0
Attenuation (dB): 7.0 4.0
Output Power (dBm): 2.6 7.8
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 10560 1092
Rate (Kbps): 8128 512
D (interleaver depth): 1 1
Delay (msec): 0 0

HEC Errors: 1 0
OCD Errors: 0 0
LCD Errors: 0 0

Total ES: 1 0

There doesnt seem to be anything in the router logs to indicate a line problem. The only way teh router seems to realize something is up is when it has issues reaching the DNS server:

Nov 24 04:51:19 user notice dnsprobe[542]: Primary DNS server Is Down... Switching To Secondary DNS server
Nov 24 04:51:50 user notice dnsprobe[542]: Switching Back To Primary DNS server
Nov 24 04:57:02 user warn dnsprobe[542]: dns query failed
Nov 24 04:57:04 user warn dnsprobe[542]: dns query failed
Nov 24 04:57:06 user warn dnsprobe[542]: dns query failed
Nov 24 04:57:06 user notice dnsprobe[542]: Primary DNS server Is Down... Switching To Secondary DNS server
Nov 24 04:57:37 user notice dnsprobe[542]: Switching Back To Primary DNS server

Does anyone have any thoughts on the line stats or what could be going on? I really cant take a conversation with India about this.

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..
Your line stats look fine. If the problem can be fixed by rebooting the modem or re-connecting, then it's probably one of EarthLink's LNS links to AT&T's LAC. You wouldn't need to reboot the modem, just log into your router and reconnect manually.

Last I checked the highest AT&T offered were OC-3s only.

LordMetrolan

Raleigh, NC
reply to LordMetrolan
So whats the next step? I can hardly call EL tech support and ask them to look at any equipment, let alone an AT&T box. All that I could accomplish would be reboot stuff and play around with my house wiring. And I'll be on the phone for an hour.

Am I stuck either waiting for a resolution on its own or switching companies?

xsbell

Canada
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..
said by LordMetrolan:

So whats the next step? I can hardly call EL tech support and ask them to look at any equipment, let alone an AT&T box. All that I could accomplish would be reboot stuff and play around with my house wiring. And I'll be on the phone for an hour.

Am I stuck either waiting for a resolution on its own or switching companies?

This has become a problem here also with wholesale ISPs, but fortunately the ILEC here offers GbE links.. but many IISPs can have twenty LNS links or more (1GbE x 20), which can't be load-balanced easily, that's why reconnecting helps.

The only thing you can really do is submit a ticket with Earthlink but I doubt it'll get you anywhere. AT&T would have to file new tariffs in order to provide higher speeds to the wholesalers.

Things will probably only get worse for you since you're on their legacy ATM network, so if cable is an option, I'd go with that. Any other DSL provider that serves your area will be in the same boat, unless you are fed from a CO and there's a CLEC there with their own gear.

LordMetrolan

Raleigh, NC
reply to LordMetrolan
Can you help me a bit with the technology?

My upstream gw IP is 209.179.0.1. I think of that as the access router and the DSLAM is somewhere nearby me but I am an IP guy so I could be wrong. When I trace route to it locally and from the internet the next hop seems to be a Level 3 link. So I am guessing they are CoLo'ed with an L3 router of some sort

I am in North Carolina but my connection is being back hauled to EL Atlanta. I dont really mind this, since it makes a mockery of locally targeted ads.

So I am picturing this as house dsl modem -> DSLAM -> Access RTR -> Internet Router. Is that correct?

And if so where would the issue be? Access RTR to IR should be a local LAN connect, right? If it was DSLAM -> AR wouldnt I see issues on my PPP log messages? And why does downing the interface and bringing it back up help?

xsbell

Canada
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..

4 edits
said by LordMetrolan:

Can you help me a bit with the technology?

My upstream gw IP is 209.179.0.1. I think of that as the access router and the DSLAM is somewhere nearby me but I am an IP guy so I could be wrong. When I trace route to it locally and from the internet the next hop seems to be a Level 3 link. So I am guessing they are CoLo'ed with an L3 router of some sort

Don't worry about the gateway IP, that's all Earthlink's. There is other AT&T equipment you connect through first before even reaching Earthlink and one of their transit providers, Level3.

Yeah, if you're fed from a remote DSLAM (remote terminal/cabinet), which I think you are just by looking at your line stats, then it should be within ~300-400m (loop distance) from your house.

said by LordMetrolan:

I am in North Carolina but my connection is being back hauled to EL Atlanta. I dont really mind this, since it makes a mockery of locally targeted ads.

So I am picturing this as house dsl modem -> DSLAM -> Access RTR -> Internet Router. Is that correct?

And if so where would the issue be? Access RTR to IR should be a local LAN connect, right? If it was DSLAM -> AR wouldnt I see issues on my PPP log messages? And why does downing the interface and bringing it back up help?

The reason it is fed all the way to Atlanta is because that is probably the closest Internet Exchange/Carrier hotel where Earthlink gets their customers from AT&T's serving area.

It would look more like this, Modem -> DSLAM -> BRAS -> AT&T LAC -> Earthlink Router -> Internet. (there are some switches in there too but I didn't add them)

Your issue sounds like it's between AT&T's LAC, where every customer in AT&T's serving area is aggregated, and one of Earthlink's multiple LNS links between it. You have no control over which link AT&T's LAC will put you on, and Earthlink really doesn't either, AT&T would have to implement something at their LAC to balance them, that's why reconnecting can land you on a less saturated link.

The only AT&T equipment you'll be able to see in your modem or router logs when you initiate the connection is their local BRAS. It should give you a hostname and MAC address, but after that you wont be able to see anything else until you're authenticated and dumped on a link to Earthlink. AT&T *should* have a specific realm set up for testing where a customer can terminate at the local BRAS, then you could start ruling out which part of their network isn't the problem. (If latency was fine between you and the local BRAS, then it would most likely be the link from the LAC to Earthlink.)