Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to eve8

Premium Member

to eve8

Re: Want to sell laptop | Build PC

said by eve8:

I do have a quick question. Can I simply take the SSD currently in my laptop and hook it up to the new built PC and it'll work just like that?

Yep. You might want to do a quick format on it (do NOT do a full-zero write) and install a fresh copy of windows.

Thoughts on the build: Overall it looks good. You picked generally good components, but I do have some comments:

• Do you want any data drive? I doubt 1 SSD will be enough for all your storage needs. I'd grab at least a 1TB WD Caviar Black (7200rpm, 64MB cache, SATA 3).

• Personal preference here, but I would go with a better PSU (I like my PSUs at silver/gold rating and modular). My favorite brands, based on quality and reputation, are Corsair, Seasonic, and Rosewill. Not saying Antec is bad, but I would not buy any "eco"/"green" PSU to be powering my gaming rig. Get something highly-rated (in efficiency) and modular (I have had a power cable just up and die on me, so swapping it out vs. the whole unit is a plus).

• If you want an alternative to Nvidia, I'd go for a Radeon 7950 for $300, which comes with the following four games free: Far Cry 3, Hitman, Sleeping Dogs, Medal of Honor: Warfighter. That's about $160 worth of free games. The 660Ti is a fantastic card, and EVGA puts out great products (myself having bought two of their mobos and three of their GPUs), but I wanted to give you an alternative. AMD seems to scale better at higher resolutions and in multi-card situations, but Nvidia can offer more power straight-up. Both are fairly equal this iteration, and both companies have driver issues.

eve8
Premium Member
join:2003-01-02
Alexandria, VA

eve8

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

said by eve8:

I do have a quick question. Can I simply take the SSD currently in my laptop and hook it up to the new built PC and it'll work just like that?

Yep. You might want to do a quick format on it (do NOT do a full-zero write) and install a fresh copy of windows.

Could you clue me in on what this entails? I tried googling and it wasn't exactly helpful.