Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

1 recommendation

JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

[Anveo] 'CONTACT CHECK' + 'PRESS KEY' = PERFECT SPAM TRAP

I modified my Anveo call flow to use "CONTACT CHECK" + "PRESS KEY" to weed out automated spam calls. I even disabled Black List.

It works great (but "Do Not Answer The Line" has to be UNCHECKED in your Start Control).

Since the time I started using new call flow (about a week ago) I had one unsolicited call where I was actually reached by human who pressed correct key. Even though I still route all calls to voicemail (including these who didn't press correct key or have caller ID disabled but in these cases they don't ring my VOIP adapter) I haven't got a single voicemail from automated calls (I did in the past but in current call flow delay when playing multiple messages is probably too long and robo-dialers hang up). Such calls appear in CDR report as 5-10 second call, some of them from the numbers I formerly blacklisted but I grew tired of blacklisting game because too often it is new caller ID.
drdigital13
join:2009-09-06
Evanston, IL

drdigital13

I have one concern about the solution: possible blocking of legitimate callers who have not been included in the white list and/or of legitimate callers from overseas who either don't speak English or don't have touch tone.

pquesinb
join:2009-04-20
Severn, MD

pquesinb

I've never used Anveo but if they support regex matching you could check for a number pattern that matches a legitimate overseas number format and skip the contact check for them.

- Phil

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

jjoshua to drdigital13

Premium Member

to drdigital13
said by drdigital13:

I have one concern about the solution: possible blocking of legitimate callers who have not been included in the white list and/or of legitimate callers from overseas who either don't speak English or don't have touch tone.

Or any elderly person who just doesn't comprehend what's happening.
JJ_GTA
Premium Member
join:2009-04-01
Ontario

JJ_GTA

Premium Member

That's the great part of Anveo. Each tool and the way your call flow is setup is unique and provides many options. If you don't like Press Key then you can have it just go to voicemail instead, or use the blacklist, or just ring your phone for each call, or use some other option. You figure out what works best for you.

For me, I accept calls from my local area code. Everything else gets a press key prompt. I'm not concerned if I loose a call due to limitations of the caller.
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007 to drdigital13

Premium Member

to drdigital13
said by drdigital13:

These are legitimate concerns but I don't have much callers from these categories and willing to pay the price. Plus everybody does get dropped into voicemail at the end, so it is just the same as I wasn't home and couldn't pick up.

rollerblader7
join:2004-01-11
Burlington, ON

rollerblader7

yes, this works well. I have a similar setup at voip.ms and we have not had a telemarketer call in the more than 2 years this has been in place. In my case, I use the "caller ID filtering" feature for the white list (i.e. your contact list), and the IVR feature to ask friends and acquaintances to press 1, or others to press 2. Pressing 2 goes to voicemail. Pressing 1 rings the phone. don't forget to get the callerIDs of your local reverse911 service and add them to your contact list, if applicable in your area.

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

1 edit

StillLearn to JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

to JoeSchmoe007
So the plan is 'Start' feeds 'CONTACT CHECK'. The "Other" output feeds 'PRESS KEY'. I am think that 'Other' output would be for numbers not in the contacts list, not having a 'Contact Type' selected in the contacts list, a blocked caller id, or no caller ID available. Right?

Instead of 'PRESS KEY', it seems to me that you could use 'ENTER DIGITS' with a 1 digit key code and with a text to speech message that tells them which key to press.

The Family, Friends and Business outputs from 'Contact Check' would go to directly to 'Answer'....
original dumb diagram deleted
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

said by StillLearn:

So the plan is 'Start' feeds 'CONTACT CHECK'. The "Other" output feeds 'PRESS KEY'. I am think that 'Other' output would be for numbers not in the contacts list, not having a 'Contact Type' selected in the contacts list, a blocked caller id, or no caller ID available. Right?

Instead of 'PRESS KEY', it seems to me that you could use 'ENTER DIGITS' with a 1 digit key code and with a text to speech message that tells them which key to press.

The Family, Friends and Business outputs from 'Contact Check' would go to directly to 'Answer'....

"Other" and "Spam" feed "Press Key" (I see no reason to use "Enter Digits" instead). Spam includes no caller id/blocked caller id.

Everything else (business/family/friend) goes to SIP control (rings the phone), then to voicemail.

StillLearn
Premium Member
Streamwood, IL

1 edit

StillLearn

Premium Member

Does this look like a reasonable simple anti-robot call screener for a single phone? I would expect to expand it some, but I would like to know if this is right so far.

In particular, did I use Answer correctly, or do I want something else to indicate that the call should be sent to my phone?

[original dumb diagram deleted]
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

said by StillLearn:

Does this look like a reasonable simple anti-robot call screener for a single phone? I would expect to expand it some, but I would like to know if this is right so far.

In particular, did I use Answer correctly, or do I want something else to indicate that the call should be sent to my phone?

I don't know exactly what phone do you want to ring. I have "SIP" control instead of your "Answer" - this rings a phone connected to my SIP adapter. SIP output is connected to "Voicemail".

If incorrect key is pressed - I don't see a point in ROBOTALK - just hang up or send to the same voicemail.

I also send spam to "Press Key" - I had several legitimate calls with no caller ID.

StillLearn
Premium Member
Streamwood, IL

1 edit

StillLearn

Premium Member

added picture
said by JoeSchmoe007:

I don't know exactly what phone do you want to ring. I have "SIP" control instead of your "Answer" - this rings a phone connected to my SIP adapter. SIP output is connected to "Voicemail".

I wanted to ring the phone plugged into my OBI202. So I am thinking that I will also want to use the 'SIP' control.

Your other points are good also. Is this what the 'other' and 'spam' outputs contain?

spam:
•blocked CID (or does that depend on having CID=0 defined as contact?)
•no CID
•entries marked as Contact type SPAM in Contact Details

other:
•entries marked with Contact type left blank in Contact Details
•entries in Contact Group BLACKLIST if Use Block Callers is not ticked in Start

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere to JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

to JoeSchmoe007
said by JoeSchmoe007:

I modified my Anveo call flow to use "CONTACT CHECK" + "PRESS KEY" to weed out automated spam calls. I even disabled Black List.

It works great (but "Do Not Answer The Line" has to be UNCHECKED in your Start Control)....

Here is what I currently have happening as a Call Flow :

'Do Not Answer The Line' is also UNCHECKED in MY 'Start' Control. - Thanks for the tip, Joe, the first time you posted about that.

My outgoing message simply tells EVERYONE that in order to show that they are not a Robo Caller, to please to press 3 to continue.

Pressing 5 goes directly to Voicemail, but some folks said that telling them this was confusing (too much info, as well as raising a further question in their minds as to whether or not ringing the phone will/won't ALSO lead to VM), so I do not mention VM at all anymore.

In my SIP control/step, I have set it to go to VM after 45 seconds (about 7 rings), though I do not explain that either, as it is a common setting.

Strangely enough, my web portal call log shows very few calls which deserve to be on a blacklist since porting the number to Anveo and conjuring up this call flow, but I view it a 'Calm Before the Next Storm'.

I have not developed my Black or White lists yet, but as you can see, the steps are in place to admin them when I do.

The only question left in MY mind is whether to use a blacklist, a whitelist, or both, but for now I'm just seeing how effective the 'Press Key' step seems to be on its own.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

I think you'll find a white list, where calls from "business", "family" and "friend"(s) can bypass the press key test and go directly to the sip forward, will be helpful. Only "other" callers would need to be checked with the key press.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by garys_2k:

I think you'll find a white list....

Possibly, but whether or not I do anything else at all will depend mostly upon :

(1) how much unwanted traffic gets past the 'Press Key' control, and

(2) how well that Anveo's CNAM dipping works for what little it costs me.

Besides, what's a single key stroke among friends ?
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

The only question left in MY mind is whether to use a blacklist, a whitelist, or both, but for now I'm just seeing how effective the 'Press Key' step seems to be on its own.

I strongly recommend that you implement the whitelist ASAP, at least for your parents / wife / kids / anyone that you really care about.

It's dangerous to send DTMF while driving. In the good old days, it wasn't so bad -- you would just feel for the 3 button. But with Android or iPhone, you have to take your eyes off the road twice, first to find the "show keypad" button, then to find the 3.

If you insist on IVR for all, your contacts may be able to automate pressing 3. If their hands-free calling is phone-based, it is a simple matter of programming the Contact entry to have a "pause" followed by 3. However, if they are using the "dial by name" function of their car's multimedia system, then the pause function needs to be set in the car's phonebook, and some don't have that feature.

Other disadvantages of the forced IVR include that a caller will be charged one minute, even if they hang up before you answer. Also, it thwarts automation on the caller's side, e.g. if they want a speed dial on their PBX that will call your mobile, if you don't answer at home.
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

said by Stewart:

said by Davesnothere:

I strongly recommend that you implement the whitelist ASAP, at least for your parents / wife / kids / anyone that you really care about.

It's dangerous to send DTMF while driving. In the good old days, it wasn't so bad -- you would just feel for the 3 button. But with Android or iPhone, you have to take your eyes off the road twice, first to find the "show keypad" button, then to find the 3.

If you insist on IVR for all, your contacts may be able to automate pressing 3. If their hands-free calling is phone-based, it is a simple matter of programming the Contact entry to have a "pause" followed by 3. However, if they are using the "dial by name" function of their car's multimedia system, then the pause function needs to be set in the car's phonebook, and some don't have that feature.

Other disadvantages of the forced IVR include that a caller will be charged one minute, even if they hang up before you answer. Also, it thwarts automation on the caller's side, e.g. if they want a speed dial on their PBX that will call your mobile, if you don't answer at home.

I completely agree with suggestions regarding whitelist.

As far as caller being charged for 1 minute even if they hang up - either CONTACT CHECK or some other controls in my workflow will not work unless "Do Not Answer The Line" is UNCHECKED in your Start Control. As soon as you do this callers will always be charged for one minute even if they hang up at any point because your line is answered immediately.

StillLearn
Premium Member
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn to Stewart

Premium Member

to Stewart
Any comment on what the 'other' and 'spam' outputs of "Contact Check" contain? Is my try above close to correct?

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to Stewart

Premium Member

to Stewart
said by Stewart:

said by Davesnothere:

I strongly recommend that you implement the whitelist ASAP, at least for your parents / wife / kids / anyone that you really care about....

Interesting reasoning.

I get it.

But the rest can go to Hell, then ?

Come to think of it, that's usually where I would LIKE to send telemarketers, survey takers, and bill collectors.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

to JoeSchmoe007
said by JoeSchmoe007:

....As far as caller being charged for 1 minute even if they hang up - either CONTACT CHECK or some other controls in my workflow will not work unless "Do Not Answer The Line" is UNCHECKED in your Start Control.

As soon as you do this callers will always be charged for one minute even if they hang up at any point because your line is answered immediately.

Yes, I noticed that behaviour while I was testing my various lines for CNAM performance by calling them from each other.

So it's a trade-off, one function for another - no free lunches, etc....

StillLearn
Premium Member
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

Stewart is suggesting that you pass the call from friends etc right through with no further test, but to give those not on the nice list a chance at pressing the key to get through your test. My diagram above intends to implement that. I added that diagram after your post as an edit.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by StillLearn:

said by Davesnothere:

Stewart is suggesting that you pass the call from friends etc right through with no further test, but to give those not on the nice list a chance at pressing the key to get through your test. My diagram above intends to implement that.

I added that diagram after your post as an edit.

Yes, I see that you did - looks like it would work.

And yes, I was being facetious.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to StillLearn

MVM

to StillLearn
Thank you for posting your call flow diagram. This object oriented Call Flow capability is POWERFUL and very good to know. Certainly looks like Anveo provides powerful tools that can stop nuisance callers at a very reasonable cost. I've just set up an Anveo account for one of my DID's --- on a side note I do find Anveo pricing structure confusing --- costs are very reasonable -- but the structure is most confusing to me.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by mozerd:

....on a side note I do find Anveo pricing structure confusing --- costs are very reasonable -- but the structure is most confusing to me.

It gets asked and explained often around here.

I wish that we could 'Sticky' a thread about it.

Some of their website pages are weirdly named, and some things which cost money are NOT COVERED AT ALL in the public part of their site - only AFTER you open an account and have a login to their web portal dashboard, and then STILL have to poke around in there to discover (for example) that they CAN do a name lookup (CNAM) for incoming calls (which works rather well, BTW, IMNSHO), plus that you must enable it from inside of there, and it costs .9 cents per lookup, which is not bad since the incoming calls themselves are FREE on at least 2 of their DID rate plans.

StillLearn
Premium Member
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

The DSLR way would be to have a forum FAQ entry on it. »VoIP: Voice over IP

If you would click "How can I submit an entry for this FAQ?" you might submit something as best as you know so far. Then you or somebody else could submit a change request later. So the entry does not have to be perfect to be very useful.

One good way to get it started would be to make a thread with a proposed starting wording, but expecting that it might have holes and flaws. Invite others to comment. Then tune the text as you think appropriate after the comments, and submit the revised text.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by StillLearn:

said by Davesnothere:

The DSLR way would be to have a forum FAQ entry on it. »VoIP: Voice over IP ....

Good catch !

However, while it might be the DSLR way, it looks like nobody pays attention to it and/or KNOWS about it.

The last time anything was added or changed there was as stated on the page : "Last modified on 2010-09-24 18:28:13".

A sticky is at least 'in yer face' each time you visit the forum.

StillLearn
Premium Member
Streamwood, IL

Premium Member

to JoeSchmoe007
This method is really good. However if you choose "Do not answer the line." in the Advanced Options tab of the START control, I suggest adding an ANSWER control between OTHER and PRESS KEY.

»[Anveo]FIXED. was: Now "Other" not working in CONTACT is a thread where I came to this conclusion after having a problem.
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

said by StillLearn:

This method is really good. However if you choose "Do not answer the line." in the Advanced Options tab of the START control, I suggest adding an ANSWER control between OTHER and PRESS KEY.

»[Anveo]FIXED. was: Now "Other" not working in CONTACT is a thread where I came to this conclusion after having a problem.

This is a great find.

StillLearn
Premium Member
Streamwood, IL

Premium Member

to JoeSchmoe007
'CONTACT CHECK' + 'PRESS KEY' has continued to work really nicely. I check the incoming call log, and see numbers that are not in my address book that did not make the phone ring. I then plug those numbers into a search engine, and find that the number was some duct cleaning or other spam call.

I may then add them to the blacklist, or sometimes, after searching for reports from the area code + exchange, I see that whole blocks of numbers are from a spammer "CLEC". I block a whole range in case some of these someday will have operators that might get through the simple Press Key filtering.

People who are legitimate, I will probably add to my Contacts. I am a very low volume user, so it is not that much to do. This Press Key thing has been very effective for me at eliminating robocalls.