join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to Davesnothere

Re: [Anveo] 'CONTACT CHECK' + 'PRESS KEY' = PERFECT SPAM TRAP

said by Davesnothere:

But the rest can go to Hell, then ?

Stewart is suggesting that you pass the call from friends etc right through with no further test, but to give those not on the nice list a chance at pressing the key to get through your test. My diagram above intends to implement that. I added that diagram after your post as an edit.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:6

1 edit

said by StillLearn:

said by Davesnothere:

But the rest can go to Hell, then ?

Stewart is suggesting that you pass the call from friends etc right through with no further test, but to give those not on the nice list a chance at pressing the key to get through your test. My diagram above intends to implement that.

I added that diagram after your post as an edit.

Yes, I see that you did - looks like it would work.

And yes, I was being facetious.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to StillLearn

Thank you for posting your call flow diagram. This object oriented Call Flow capability is POWERFUL and very good to know. Certainly looks like Anveo provides powerful tools that can stop nuisance callers at a very reasonable cost. I've just set up an Anveo account for one of my DID's --- on a side note I do find Anveo pricing structure confusing --- costs are very reasonable -- but the structure is most confusing to me.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by mozerd:

....on a side note I do find Anveo pricing structure confusing --- costs are very reasonable -- but the structure is most confusing to me.

It gets asked and explained often around here.

I wish that we could 'Sticky' a thread about it.

Some of their website pages are weirdly named, and some things which cost money are NOT COVERED AT ALL in the public part of their site - only AFTER you open an account and have a login to their web portal dashboard, and then STILL have to poke around in there to discover (for example) that they CAN do a name lookup (CNAM) for incoming calls (which works rather well, BTW, IMNSHO), plus that you must enable it from inside of there, and it costs .9 cents per lookup, which is not bad since the incoming calls themselves are FREE on at least 2 of their DID rate plans.

StillLearn
Premium
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

said by Davesnothere:

The DSLR way would be to have a forum FAQ entry on it. »VoIP: Voice over IP

If you would click "How can I submit an entry for this FAQ?" you might submit something as best as you know so far. Then you or somebody else could submit a change request later. So the entry does not have to be perfect to be very useful.

One good way to get it started would be to make a thread with a proposed starting wording, but expecting that it might have holes and flaws. Invite others to comment. Then tune the text as you think appropriate after the comments, and submit the revised text.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by StillLearn:

said by Davesnothere:

The DSLR way would be to have a forum FAQ entry on it. »VoIP: Voice over IP ....

Good catch !

However, while it might be the DSLR way, it looks like nobody pays attention to it and/or KNOWS about it.

The last time anything was added or changed there was as stated on the page : "Last modified on 2010-09-24 18:28:13".

A sticky is at least 'in yer face' each time you visit the forum.

StillLearn
Premium
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to JoeSchmoe007

This method is really good. However if you choose "Do not answer the line." in the Advanced Options tab of the START control, I suggest adding an ANSWER control between OTHER and PRESS KEY.

»[Anveo]FIXED. was: Now "Other" not working in CONTACT is a thread where I came to this conclusion after having a problem.

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Callcentric
·Verizon FiOS

said by StillLearn:

This method is really good. However if you choose "Do not answer the line." in the Advanced Options tab of the START control, I suggest adding an ANSWER control between OTHER and PRESS KEY.

»[Anveo]FIXED. was: Now "Other" not working in CONTACT is a thread where I came to this conclusion after having a problem.

This is a great find.

StillLearn
Premium
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to JoeSchmoe007

'CONTACT CHECK' + 'PRESS KEY' has continued to work really nicely. I check the incoming call log, and see numbers that are not in my address book that did not make the phone ring. I then plug those numbers into a search engine, and find that the number was some duct cleaning or other spam call.

I may then add them to the blacklist, or sometimes, after searching for reports from the area code + exchange, I see that whole blocks of numbers are from a spammer "CLEC". I block a whole range in case some of these someday will have operators that might get through the simple Press Key filtering.

People who are legitimate, I will probably add to my Contacts. I am a very low volume user, so it is not that much to do. This Press Key thing has been very effective for me at eliminating robocalls.