how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

analog andy

join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC

Lol weather forecasters and media.

Where do I sign up for this kinds of a job? Just pull predictions out of my ass and get paid for it.

From

Read more: »www.theprovince.com/technology/w···DAWxtAj1

The winter weather blahs are here, says Environment Canada.

Forecaster Jennifer Hay says the long-term outlook calls for rain and temperatures a few degrees above freezing.

“It’s Vancouver — wet and windy,” said Hay Friday. “The weather will be like it is every year at this time.”

Now those in the GVRD are should remember the 2011 news hysteria as they spewed the we're in for a possible coldest winter in a long time. Yah two days of snow really showed us whats up.

»blogs.theprovince.com/2011/10/22···0-years/

»www.globaltvbc.com/one+of+coldes···ory.html

»www.news1130.com/weather/article···redicted

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

1 recommendation

said by analog andy:

Where do I sign up for this kinds of a job? Just pull predictions out of my ass and get paid for it.

What an ignorant comment.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteorology

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
Hindsight is always 20/20 perfection.

rogersmogers

@start.ca
reply to analog andy
said by analog andy:

You have no idea what they do.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to analog andy
I always used to laugh at the Environment Canada forecasts when I was in Montreal: "Party cloudy with sunny periods and a chance of showers." They can't be wrong!

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to analog andy
I can understand your frustration as the standard weather report has never been accurate enough to plan around. Often the weather outside doesn't even match the weather that's reported 'right now'.

While I'm sure the equipment and communications have improved, so much to the point we can plan the path of a hurricane, but the regular weather reports are just as inaccurate as they were decades ago.

... although I'm sure there's a lot of work interpreting this data and they're not pulling their suggestions out of their ass.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
I challenge anyone who complains about the accuracy and/or skill of a meteorologist's weather forecast to try and "forecast" what the weather will be like for the next 3-4 days with nothing but models and a map. Chances are you won't even be close, while the met will probably be roughly correct.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Considering that the reports were ridiculously wrong last week, I'm confident that analog andy could report the weather as accurately without models and a map. My window provides more accuracy than the weather reports.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Report is not the same as forecast. Anyone can "report" the weather - go look out a window. But forecasting is a whole other ballgame, and to that I say - no, he couldn't. Not by a long shot. Neither could you. Or I. Or anyone else here who hasn't spent 3-4 years in university learning this stuff.

And really, you live in Niagara. You should know by now not to trust EC for forecasts. When it comes to meteorology, experience is everything. While I respect the guys they have up in Toronto, I don't think they have much experiencing dealing with the weird quirks that we get down here from the lake. The Americans were pretty bang on for the very warm temps we got last week as well as the new layer of snow I have on the ground for the start of this week.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
So the forecasters are getting it right but the reporters and weather.ca is getting it wrong? I just assumed the reports that we received were based on what was forecasted by the... forecasters... not so?

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Depends. Not everyone who appears on TV to give a weather report is an actual meteorologist with experience doing forecasts.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
What about weather.ca? That's what I usually use and it's inaccurate.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
TWN is notorious for being inaccurate. It tends to be the first place that newly-graduated mets end up right out of university before they move on to bigger and better things. As I said earlier, experience is everything in that profession. If you're using TWN no wonder you think it's all a joke, you're using the worst of the worst!

Contrast TWN in Canada with TWC in the US, where the most-experienced mets end up after slugging their way up through small-market television and making a name for themselves by being accurate. It's quite a difference between the two.

If you want accurate reports for Niagara use something from WIVB or go to the National Weather Service from the US. TWN is an utter waste of time and you'll get nothing useful from them not only for Niagara, but just about anywhere in the country.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to analog andy
London lies at the bottom of a snow belt (lake effect snow from Lake Huron)...forecasting can be tough...we could get 5 cm of snow, but if the wind patter changes just a few degrees to the south, we could get 30 cm of snow...of course, the snow storm clouds could also simply like what they see here and put it in park (often meeting a system from the south coming at us) and dump a ton of snow (witness Snowmaggedon 2 years ago, and a similar dumping two years prior to that).
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Gone
Click for full size
I used to use a Sager Weathercaster. It's amazingly accurate, using observations of the wind, barometer, and current conditions. After setting the dials, you'd look up the code in a chart, which would direct you to additional charts that provided the forecast for the next 36(?) hours.
»www.amazon.com/The-Sager-weather···006CJ0MQ

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Something like that is good for generalized near-term (1-3 day) forecasting, but it's useless for specifics (e.g. estimated amounts of snow from a storm) or anything long range.

For what it's worth, we had our first taste of the lake machine today, including a resultant snow-covered ground.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
said by Gone:

Something like that is good for generalized near-term (1-3 day) forecasting, but it's useless for specifics (e.g. estimated amounts of snow from a storm) or anything long range.

For what it's worth, we had our first taste of the lake machine today, including a resultant snow-covered ground.

Likewise. And it is still snowing. Snow Squall Watch issued
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

And really, you live in Niagara. You should know by now not to trust EC for forecasts. When it comes to meteorology, experience is everything.

This is from 2009, but suggests that EC may need more funding compared to the resources that the US National Weather Service has.
»www.edmontonsun.com/news/canada/···161.html

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
reply to analog andy
So with all that being said, what's the most accurate way to obtain the weather report in Ontario and/or Canada that's easy to interpret and more reliable than how the majority of Canadians obtain their weather reports?

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
EC is decent. If you're right right on the border (e.g. Niagara, Windsor, etc), local American television stations with a met on staff tend to do even better.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Bob4
Thanks! Easy to read, I'll replace my weather.ca shortcut!

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by urbanriot:

Thanks! Easy to read, I'll replace my weather.ca shortcut!

You'll be much much happier.

WxFcstr

@telus.net
reply to analog andy
It's winter - I predict we will get wintery weather.

What is so out of left field about that? (Or if you prefer your crude language...why does that seem like it's "out of an ass"? I think it's common sense, but maybe you don't have any of that.)

Media loves a headline - that's why the "coldest year" story was reported so widely. But it didn't originate from Environment Canada - it was a small firm in the US with no reputation looking for attention.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
said by WxFcstr :

It's winter - I predict we will get wintery weather.

That's what they said last year (here in NJ); We only got one snowstorm, and that was in October!