MooJohn

join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to NormanS

Re: Why is _incoming_ port 25 blocked?

There is another "middle" option: a web hosting package with email. I'm a very happy customer of Fused.com and it would cost you a whopping $15/month for some web hosting space and email, and you have control over every aspect of your email -- perfect if you want to pair it with fetchmail that js339 mentioned to pull it from their server to yours.

You gain a permanent IP for your mail and backup space online even if you never put anything on the web side except a placeholder page. I'm pretty picky when it comes to paying anyone for server space and I've got to say Fused never fails to impress - and that's coming from the grouchiest admin around!
--
John M - Cranky network guy

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by MooJohn:

You gain a permanent IP for your mail and backup space ...

Is that IP address yours alone, or shared with others? I ask because DNSBLs list IP addresses; if one of your IP neighbors is caught in a DNSBL listing, your server will also be.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

js339

join:2007-03-10
Vancouver, WA

For Fused.com, anything less than $100 per month is shared. There are free shared web hosts for that matter, and yes most of them include shared email. That doesn't gain me anything over any other shared email provider.