spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Colbanetuser

@colba.net

ColbaNet Adsl2+ The Unlimited is a lie.

Just received this e-mail, appartenyl the pre-paid contract I agreed to for unlimmited is a lie, I realize I use a lot of bandwidth but they told me if I go over they would automatically discconect my service.
ref XXXX

"Your account from XXXXXXXX to XXXXXXXX, with our product 2P-RES-Prepaid includes free 1265 Giga-bytes per month, there is only 100 Giga-bytes left in your package after that your account will be suspended and you will have to communicate with management."

graniterock

join:2003-03-14
London, ON

Indeed those are alot of gigabytes. Have you tried contacting them? I'd be curious to know what they would have to say. Good news is there are a couple of reputable ISPs on here that do mean unlimited when they say unlimited.

Colbanetuser

@colba.net

Yes, the guy said I should contact billing on Monday (they are closed on the weekend) and if I go over the 99 remaining gigs it will shut off my connection. This would be a breach of our agreement and I would probably submit a complaint against them. Either way I am forced to stop downloading ANYTHING until I speak to them and that is wrong.

errr

@videotron.ca

said by Colbanetuser :

Either way I am forced to stop downloading ANYTHING until I speak to them and that is wrong.

99-gigs over the next 36 hrs forces you not not download "ANYTHING"?

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5

Not withstanding the fact that your account is supposed to be unlimited, what the HECK are you downloading? I can't possibly imagine...?
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

Expand your moderator at work

LiQuiD
BSD geek
Premium
join:2002-08-08
Anjou, QC
reply to HeadSpinning

Re: ColbaNet Adsl2+ The Unlimited is a lie.

said by HeadSpinning:

Not withstanding the fact that your account is supposed to be unlimited, what the HECK are you downloading? I can't possibly imagine...?

Queue all the senseless justifications about the legal ways of supposedly doing 1TB a month of traffic. Or about how it's OK for them to do this because it's from the man, and thus their use is not illegal in their minds.

--
Windows is the virus. Linux is the vaccine, FreeBSD is the CURE

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON

said by LiQuiD:

Queue all the senseless justifications about the legal ways of supposedly doing 1TB a month of traffic. Or about how it's OK for them to do this because it's from the man, and thus their use is not illegal in their minds.

Regardless of the legal status of the materials downloaded, it sounds like the digital equivalent of a hoarder. How much legal or otherwise video can someone watch in a month?
--

nauru

join:2011-02-02

Speculations about the characteristics and habits of the user are totally irrelevant ad hominem fallacies.

Unlimited means no limit. If there is a maximum at 1265 GB of usage then the service is not unlimited and the user has been defrauded.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON

said by nauru:

Speculations about the characteristics and habits of the user are totally irrelevant ad hominem fallacies.

Unlimited means no limit. If there is a maximum at 1265 GB of usage then the service is not unlimited and the user has been defrauded.

I'm not at all arguing the fact that Colba has apparently advertised unlimited when it appears it isn't.

I'm just trying to figure out what someone would use that amount of data transfer for.
--

Shrug

@videotron.ca
reply to Colbanetuser

Anyhow he will have to go to the CCTS to complain.

I'm pretty sure there was a case like this in their annual review and the customer won. They stated something like where does it say unlimited is 1000-gig in your policy? So the customer won.

So, Colbanetuser, prepare your complaint today. This way if Colba is a dick to you tomorrow you file the complaint right away w/o delay.

Matter of fact, you can give the complaint today to the CCTS, and if things work you you can cancel your complaint tomorrow, or still let it go through in case colba changes their minds in a week.

Better to do it as soon as possible and not wait.

In other news, Colba contacted Western Digital and told them to stop making hard drives over 500-gigs.

epsilon3

join:2008-03-29
canada

BS ..

All Colba has to do it to reduce the speed of the connection for this customer to 100kbps once he reaches their established limit and here you go ...the unlimited stands ...

I see the case of this customer ABUSE.

1TB is a lot ... Colba has to make some money as well. There are always ways around

epsilon3

join:2008-03-29
canada
reply to Colbanetuser

said by Colbanetuser :

Either way I am forced to stop downloading ANYTHING until I speak to them and that is wrong.

You are a BULL!

Colbanetuser

@colba.net
reply to Shrug

My concern however is Colbanet isn't on the list of ISPs that participate in CCtS: »www.ccts-cprst.ca/en/complaints/···roviders

Colbanetuser

@colba.net
reply to epsilon3

I'm going to take your advice and file a complaint today with CCTS if they are uncooperative, thank you Shrug. Very foolish of them to do this now that my 1 year contract is over dec 31st and they want a renewal. To those of you who presume to judge me and ask to know what content I am transferring I respectfully say to you: mind your own business. The government wants to montor the content that people transfer in acts like Sopa, as a Canadian you should be ashamed of yourselves and promote freedom on the web.

Shrug

@videotron.ca

Colbanetuser, if they are not on the list of companies at the CCTS then that means no one has bothered filing a complaint to the CCTS about them yet.

The CRTC/CCTS rules state that a company *must* join the CCTS 3-5 business days after a complaint is filed by a customer. The CCTS will contact them and force them.

So don't let the name not being there fool into thinking the CCTS won't do anything.

As far as I know only one company tired to not join the CCTS (Brama communications), and the CRTC was going to fine them. So there is no option for telecom companies. They have to join.

Like I said above, I recall reading of a similar case from the CCTS and the customer won.

But I don't know what the customer was asking for. Was the customer asking to just be let out of a contract? Did the company bill that customer for extra B/W usage? Did the company cut him off?

That I no longer recall, but pretty sure the answer is on the CCTS website.

If things go bad on the phone, tell them you will be going to the CCTS. Just for them to join will cost them 5-700 for your complaint since they are new to the CCTS and must pay an annual fee to join, ~500$+ plus a fee for your complaint. ~100$.

This one complaint is going to cot them the same price as your contract, heh. Be sure to tell them that.

Shrug

@videotron.ca
reply to epsilon3

said by epsilon3:

1TB is a lot ... Colba has to make some money as well. There are always ways around

It's very likely that this customer in on one of Colba's C/O's. So they don't have the usage based pricing like the resellers/wholesalers do. They still make money. Don't worry yourself over that. More important things in life to worry about than someone else's usage.

dragonfly

join:2012-09-04
reply to Colbanetuser

I love the victim-blaming in this thread. A guy is lied to about the unlimited part of his internet contract, and all the comments are blaming his downloading. Don't be these people.

Colbanetuser

@colba.net

Ah, it's ok - Despite them I am thankful for the great advice I received!

Reall ay

@videotron.ca
reply to dragonfly

said by dragonfly:

I love the victim-blaming in this thread. A guy is lied to about the unlimited part of his internet contract, and all the comments are blaming his downloading. Don't be these people.

Shows you how brainwashed people have become by the industry and people who "work" the forums when they start worrying about what someone downloads and how it could affect an ISP's money on an unlimited account.

The people who work the forums and the telco industry want you to think of usage like frigging oil.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON

said by Reall ay :

Shows you how brainwashed people have become by the industry and people who "work" the forums when they start worrying about what someone downloads and how it could affect an ISP's money on an unlimited account.

The people who work the forums and the telco industry want you to think of usage like frigging oil.

If the customer is on a Colba co-locate, the capacity costs them negligible. If he's on Bell, then the usage IS like "friggin oil".

Either way, Colba advertises unlimited. They should be prepared for the eventuality that someone is going to actually use unlimited.
--

All U canEAT

@videotron.ca

Yeah it depends which he is on that determines the usage limits with Colba.

This person stated he is prepaid (on contract). So that is their 24-meg adsl2+ (on Colba's C/O). It's the only one prepaid/Contracted.

And, yup, everything on their webpage says unlimited for 19.95/month.

The guy should include screen shots of it all.

Actually that's a great price and great deal if you can get it, eh.

Colbanetuser

@colba.net
reply to HeadSpinning

Damn, I just realized that I (literally) broke the internet. GG Colba Net, GG.

Shots

@videotron.ca
reply to All U canEAT

Click for full size
Contract pricing
Click for full size
Resold non-contract
Click for full size
Contract Pricing
Click for full size
Colba Policy
Just for sake of argument...

As seen in the pics...

Also, look at their policy. Usage limits apply to the non-contracted Bell resold ADSL only.

Colba is going to lose this if it goes to the CCTS.

Shrug

@videotron.ca
reply to Colbanetuser

said by Colbanetuser :

I'm going to take your advice and file a complaint today with CCTS if they are uncooperative, thank you Shrug.

Keep us informed of what happens.

Colbanetuser

@colba.net

I will keep you informed, thank you for the interest.

Colbanetuser

@colba.net

I spoke to them, they said that the period was to the end of the month and that for "security" they put a limit, she agreed to reset my usage counter and to watch my bandwidth for next time (she won't reset it again).

Whenever I said something Like they should inform clients of this limit she dodged the question referring to the solution she offered of resetting my counter. She also made the argument that 1000gb is a lot of usage (which I easily defended by stating the contract is unlimited) even though they own the hardware and line, I don't see this as an issue for them although they recently started an IPTV service and may be pulling a "Bell" on me. For now I don't feel the space to escalate and I may not use that much bandwidth again as I average about 800gb a month but I will see in the future if there is a need to negotiate with her. If she had said the wrong this to me or argued with me I would have escalated this immediately. I am no stranger to negotiating compensation from communication providers for their mistakes.

As someone pointed out, I am very lucky to have this amazing connection despite this not being actually unlimited, for $20 a month plus $10 dry loop I get 19 meg actual connection (speedtest) with a 140 kb/s upload. You need to live within 3 KM of one of their towers and the closer the higher speed and I was lucky. I have not found any other provider to offer so much bandwidth for such speed in Canada so let us not forget that. They do not mess with bittorrent speed and I always max out my speed.

She asked me if I check my bandwidth on-line with my user-name and I responded to her, why as an unlimited user would I check my bandwidth.

On a side note, a few days ago I noticed on my router's page that 400kb/s was downloading even though all transfer had stopped, I checked Comodo and it had the download transferring from an IP through Chrome. I couldn't figure out why that was happening and nothing was streaming - this may or may not have continued for some time and added to my usage (even though this is irrelevant to this issue)

shrug

@videotron.ca

Well, at least you're ok for this month.

You said your contract ends next month or something. I was checking their site and 2nd year contracts go up by 5$ for unlimited 24-meg. That is still very good for 24$. You aren't going to find better.

Seems to me they will reset it each time and more or less want to scare you a bit for downloading the world

I would only start worrying when and if they change their policies... And if they do, per Quebec law they have to give you 30-days notice with the option to quit the contract w/ no termination fee's or penalties.

So I would take a new contract w/ them for sure. The law and that great price is on your side.

julienvf

join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to Colbanetuser

I'm surprised they flagged your account. My clients use a lot of bandwith but never got any trouble with a "so called cap" on their adsl2+ service.. Might just wanna ask them to put a 4tb limit or just take off that security flag in your account. Colba will reset your counter or do so. So far, all of my customers are more than satisfied with them.

CCTSCPRST

join:2012-12-10
Canada
kudos:1
reply to Colbanetuser

Good morning,

it sounds like you have a complaint we may be able to assist you with. You may wish to file a complaint with the Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services (CCTS).

If you wish to complaint against a provider that is not currently a participant of CCTS, please do provide us with as much information as possible.
--
Visit us at ccts-cprst.ca
Call us at 1-888-221-1687