Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

So I went into a store...

And I saw the iPad mini, first time holding the device.

Man, Apple did a great job designing this device. It puts every other tablet to shame....

Anyway, after promising myself not to buy anymore Apple stuff for a while, I ended up buy an iPad mini and the iPod Touch 5 gen...for my daughter -- her mom is giving a bit of money towards it.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

I'm just not seeing the appeal of what amounts to an overpriced retina-less iPad. Maybe it's that I have the full size 4th gen iPad, but the small form factor is too small to really enjoy media and too big to be extraordinarily portable. Seems to be the netbook of tablets...not good at much of anything. What is the real appeal of the mid-size form factor?

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to J E F F

Everything except the screen... I saw one, and i was like no freakin way I would use that after having an iPad3 Retina and iPhone 4.

Sure I love the form factor. But thats not enough. I suppose people upgrading from iPad1/2's might not care.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to skeechan

I had an iPad which my daughter ended up with, but too large and heavy for everyday use, such as reading magazine or whatever. I also have a PlayBook which is almost too small (7" screen)...the iPad mini seems to have a lot more screen size (and measuring it, it does)...seems to be a sweet spot for me for tablets. Although I also have the 11" MacBook Air which I really like.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

I have an iPad 2 and I love the size but it's definitely heavy for casual reading, etc; I'm waiting it out for a lighter, non-mini version. (And apparently the iPad 3 and 4 are even heavier?? Sheesh)
--
♬ Music is life ♬

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

My iPad3 is heavy indeed... the whole thing is almost all battery & screen...

I would love an iPad mini with 1600x1200 resolution. 1024x768 is so crap.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
reply to skeechan

You know having both an iPad 4 for myself and an iPad Mini for my wife - I'm jealous. It's actually probably the perfect size for a tablet. My wife was putting together a Keynote presentation for an asthma education seminar she is teaching and I was amazed at how usable the screen was.

That being said I'll hold off for the retina version still.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to J E F F

I can never leave an Apple store w/o buying anything
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

reply to J E F F

Only Apple could make the exact same tablet as they did 18 months ago, only just a bit larger than other 7" tablets, and have people find it a great design job
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

I think it's that extra .9 inches that makes a huge difference. Seems to be mostly screen. Anyway, should be getting it in a couple weeks...I was surprised how light yet sturdy it was...
--

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
reply to J E F F

I was in the Apple store the other day, too, and had no interest. The screen was on and it looked like an iPad which I already have. I picked it up, held it in one hand, and couldn't help think to myself, "Hm. Hmmmm!". Like biting into some food for the first time, not expecting anything, and the flavors starting coming out the longer it's in your mouth.

I only had that minute to hold it but I couldn't help thinking I could use this thing.

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
reply to HiVolt

^^^^
what he said, too used to high resolution screens. Can't go back.

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH
reply to J E F F

I've read how many people are saying the iPad mini is no good because it doesn't have a Retina display. I've picked up both the mini and a Retina display iPad, gone to the same web page, zoomed in on the same text as far as possible, and held both units at a normal reading distance. I can't see any difference in the text. Everyone I've asked, which is only sample of 6 or 7 people, has said the same thing. I wonder how many people are saying the display is bad because it doesn't have the Retina display and must, therefore, be bad? Methinks a little self fulfilling prophecy might be at play. YMMV.
--
Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to J E F F

Guess I'll add my little review here. I received the LTE version just over a week ago and I cannot put it down. The screen is large enough that nothing feels cramped or cutdown (of course, the resolution is the same as the iPad 2) yet the entire device is significantly smaller and lighter than the iPad 3/4. I've owned an iPad 2, 3 and now the mini and by far I prefer the mini. The 3's amazing screen made up for the weight/thickness increase from the iPad 2, but now I'm willing to make the opposite compromise - a much more portable iPad with a less sharp screen.

And yes, when you use the iPad mini for the first time after coming from the iPad 3 or 4, it looks terrible. But after awhile that effect goes away and the only important thing is how much more useful the lighter design is. If the iPad 3/4 was this light, I'd probably be using that, but the weight makes a big difference. Like the other poster said, all it takes is a quick zoom in on some text for the jagged appearance to go away. Sure, I'd like if the screen was Retina, but it's not the requirement I thought it would be.

To echo what the OP said, the build quality is impeccable. And it's not just that they made the screen smaller and now people love it - you need to hold this thing. It feels great in your hands. The chamfered edge can feel a bit rough at some angles, but I've only felt that a few times.

The iPad mini has completely replaced my iPad 3, and I don't miss it one bit. If they can keep the thickness and weight the same when they put a retina display in the mini, I'll be first in line to get one, but if they can't (like they couldn't for the full-size iPad), I'll probably be sticking with this until they can.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

do not worry they will have a higher resolution soon they are just hold it back so you will have to pay another $300 to them later on when you want it.
--
Well, does your car at least turn into something else? Sometimes I turn it into a trashcan. Hmm...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

^ This

spinJR
what exit?

join:2002-01-07
reply to Anonymous_

said by Anonymous_:

said by HiVolt:

do not worry they will have a higher resolution soon they are just hold it back so you will have to pay another $300 to them later on when you want it.

id rather have a nonretina screen and the battery life i am getting than a "better" screen and 1/2 the battery life.
--
welcome to NJ, pay the 7% and go home!

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

Some of you need to man up and pump iron (I guess curl more then 5 lbs?) If you think an iPad 3 or any 10 inch tablet is heavy...

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

No kidding! LOL

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Thinkdiff

That was my thought entirely. Picking up the iPad mini and holding it did it for me. The screen is still sharp enough.
Besides, doesn't the iPad 3 and 4 have to scale down for interwebs?
--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to Metatron2008

It's isn't a matter of picking it up and putting it back down. Try holding 5LBS out away from you and see how long you last. Any amount of unsupported weight causes fatigue.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Since you aren't holding the ipad out away from you for long periods of time, that's irrelevant...

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
reply to J E F F

Are you kidding me? You guys are nuts! Mediocre in every possible way but still insanely overpriced - a true Apple product.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to skeechan

I can easily hold 5 lbs for hours away from me. I know 70 year old people who can do that with iPad 1s, the heaviest of the bunch.

Tell me skeechan, what can you hold for hours with no issues?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

2 recommendations

Really? Try it and you will see how wrong you are. It is obvious that you have never actually held anything out unsupported for any period of time. Just because you can hold something for a minute or two doesn't mean you can do it for 5, 10, 30 minutes or more as you would when reading a book.

Try it, just hold your arms out and see how long you last. You think you could go "hours" like that? No f-ing way Jose. You would be surprised how time slows when you have to hold something, especially something 'slippery' like a tablet.

What can I hold away for me unsupported for hours? Not a damn thing and the heavier it is the shorter I'd last and anyone who claims they can is full of shit.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to Metatron2008

Wrong. The iPad 2 is awkward and heavy to hold (for example, when reading an ebook) for any length of time without something for support, and even then, is tiresome on the wrist (say, if you're on the couch and the iPad is on the arm/end).

My mother's Kindle Fire on the other hand? Very nice weight-wise...
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

1 edit
reply to J E F F

I will admit my iPad 2 gets tiresome for book reading. A real paperback book works fantastic for reading.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to J E F F

I have the ipad 3 currently. I like the smaller size of the ipad-mini but I can wait until next year when they'll probably release a retina version.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by PhoenixDown:

I have the ipad 3 currently. I like the smaller size of the ipad-mini but I can wait until next year when they'll probably release a retina version.

I have an iPad 2 that I have no issues with at all, but I do like the size of the mini better. Definitely can wait for the retina version (It's not a matter of if, but when).
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

RiseAbove
Premium
join:2004-01-30
reply to J E F F

I got the LTE iPad Mini and it has easily replaced my iPad 3. I to have had all the other variants of the iPad yet I find this one to be the best and offer ultimate portability.

It's beyond easy to carry around and with the 4G LTE speeds I can easily log into work remotely to manage whatever servers I need to get to.

I to wish the screen was retina but I can deal with that until they put a newer version out. Overall I am really impressed with it and I don't see myself putting it down for quite some time.