IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Safely storing fuel

I want to make sure I am storing fuel safely. I keep the gas for the generator in approved gas cans and I keep the propane tanks for the grill outside on the back deck. I keep the gas cans in my semi attached garage.

The garage has components for the burglar alarm (siren and sensors).

I am just checking as we had a major explosion in the city last night due to a gas leak. I do keep fire extinguishers handy.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

The explosion was not from someone storing fuel incorrectly...

Just keep fuels always from ignition points - don't store fuel in a place that has a gas heater, water heater, or furnace or the like. If fumes have no chance of igniting - then it can't ignite without someone providing the ignition.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold

MVM

Adding: do not store fuel (gasoline or propane) exposed to the sun (or excessive heat) to prevent expanding fuel from leaking.

If you can't completely avoid some exposure to heat then do not completely fill tanks/containers to allow for expansion in the fuel volume.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
That would be illegal if you were in a multiple-unit dwelling in New Jersey. Propane tanks cannot be stored or used on a deck. And they must be at least 5 feet from the building.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by Bob4:

That would be illegal if you were in a multiple-unit dwelling in New Jersey. Propane tanks cannot be stored or used on a deck. And they must be at least 5 feet from the building.

So if I am understanding this correctly, it is illegal in NJ to use a gas grill on a homeowner's deck so long as there is a BBQ tank of any size in or around the grill on the deck? One would need a to pipe into a house propane system to legally use a grill on a deck?!?

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to leibold

Premium Member

to leibold
said by leibold:

Adding: do not store fuel (gasoline or propane) exposed to the sun (or excessive heat) to prevent expanding fuel from leaking.

If you can't completely avoid some exposure to heat then do not completely fill tanks/containers to allow for expansion in the fuel volume.

That's part of the reason why LPG cylinders are to be filled to a max of 80% of capacity... To leave expansion room. (The other is to allow room for vaporization to occur)

Any place fuel is stored should be appropriately ventilated; ideally in a separate building.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4 to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

said by Bob4:

So if I am understanding this correctly, it is illegal in NJ to use a gas grill on a homeowner's deck so long as there is a BBQ tank of any size in or around the grill on the deck? One would need a to pipe into a house propane system to legally use a grill on a deck?!?

For a multiple-unit building, you cannot use a propane grill on a deck or within 5 feet of the building. You would need a 'hardwired' natural gas grill (or charcoal).

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

said by Bob4:

Slightly OT, but - Then there are the terms of the Apt/Condo/Rental Lease that do not have any bearing on the Law. I know in some Complexes in my area, no grilling of any sort is allowed on Decks or if ground floor, under the eaves or Decks. It has to be outdoors and in the open. There have been too many fires caused due to improper storing of Grills after use.

Sorta, like my Folks Condo, they limit the times of the year that vehicles can be washed. The water bill is paid by bulk for the 26 units. And usage billing is time managed, just like some Electric bills.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
I store gas for my generator where it was meant to be stored...in the gas tank of my car in the garage.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

I want to make sure I am storing fuel safely. I keep the gas for the generator in approved gas cans and I keep the propane tanks for the grill outside on the back deck. I keep the gas cans in my semi attached garage.

The garage has components for the burglar alarm (siren and sensors).

I am just checking as we had a major explosion in the city last night due to a gas leak. I do keep fire extinguishers handy.

I keep my top off never know when there will be a earthquake since the fuel can be used for trade such as water etc...

I can store 16.5 gallons in it.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

said by Bob4:

For a multiple-unit building, you cannot use a propane grill on a deck or within 5 feet of the building. You would need a 'hardwired' natural gas grill (or charcoal).

Here in a multi-unit building you cannot use a grill of any kind on a deck, balcony or within 5 feet of the the building.

tmh
@verizon.net

tmh to peterboro

Anon

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

I store gas for my generator where it was meant to be stored...in the gas tank of my car in the garage.

I'm curious how you get it out again. I think it's a great source of emergency fuel. I've tried with a siphon but no luck.

quitaccount
DSLR sucks cocks
Premium Member
join:2000-11-13

quitaccount to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
do you have a shed? keep them stored in it. preferably LOCKED.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to tmh

MVM

to tmh
Siphon or hand pump...

quitaccount
DSLR sucks cocks
Premium Member

quitaccount

Premium Member

said by CylonRed:

Siphon or hand pump...

that's not as easy as it sounds. you have to get past the ball in the filler neck in most cars now. at least in Ford vehicles.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to tmh

to tmh
said by tmh :

said by peterboro:

I'm curious how you get it out again. I think it's a great source of emergency fuel. I've tried with a siphon but no luck.

I can siphon it out quite easily or pull the fuel line off the carbs and pump it into a can with the car's electric fuel pump. The fuel line is outside the car as it feeds into dual quads on a supercharger for easy access.

quitaccount
DSLR sucks cocks
Premium Member

quitaccount

Premium Member

said by peterboro:

said by tmh :

said by peterboro:

I can siphon it out quite easily or pull the fuel line off the carbs and pump it into a can with the car's electric fuel pump. The fuel line is outside the car as it feeds into dual quads on a supercharger for easy access.

i guess a fitting with a hose on the pressure port would work too, but a gas can would probably be much easier.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

said by quitaccount:

i guess a fitting with a hose on the pressure port would work too, but a gas can would probably be much easier.

3/4" drill bit, cordless drill, and a catch can works, too... Best used on someone else's car, though...
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

said by LazMan:

3/4" drill bit, cordless drill, and a catch can works, too... Best used on someone else's car, though...

Back in the 1970's, an ice pick was the tool of choice.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to Bob4

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

said by Bob4:

Okay, that's strictly for MDUs and not for a single family home.

JUst so we clear that up... I have propane tanks and a grill on my deck and I live in a single family home. Perfectly legal.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I live in a duplex and it's part of my rental agreement to cut the grass and remove snow. I get a small rental discount for doing so. I've got to keep fuel for the lawn mower and the snow blower. The only area I have to store it is the semi-attached garage.

I keep the propane tanks on the deck (which is ground level), with one of two attached to my Weber grill.

At least I am not dumb enough to store it in the basement or even worse, in the living spaces. The neighbor has a gas grill as well. He is also one of those who pretends to be religious (to hide the losers that they really are, especially the husband) and he burns candles and that scares me more than gasoline, especially with their unruly children. Fortunately I have renters insurance and smoke detectors.

He is one of the reasons I have a burglar alarm (maybe I should add fire detection as well) and the fact that the other unit was burglarized with previous tenants.
Expand your moderator at work
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro

Re: Safely storing fuel

said by peterboro:

said by tmh :

said by peterboro:

That requires a car with a carb. extremely rare these days.

Far easier to keep a few gas cans around. Especially if you have a shed which allows one to keep them away from the house.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
MVM,
join:2001-01-27
22152-1106

grobinette to IowaCowboy

MVM,

to IowaCowboy
Do you think you could keep your suggestions more realistic and on topic?
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to fifty nine

to fifty nine
In Ohio it depends on the city. Some do not allow any gas or grills period within 5feet of any building, rented or owned.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
My suggestion is to get a Propane powered generator and more propane tanks or get a 250 or 500 gallon Propane tank installed.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

Click for full size
Sportsman GEN7000LP (propane side)
Click for full size
500-gallon Underground Propane Tank
said by TheTechGuru:

My suggestion is to get a Propane powered generator and more propane tanks or get a 250 or 500 gallon Propane tank installed.

Good suggestion!

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru

Yep, a generator like that could run over a month on a 500 gallon.

I personally would get that same one you have IN ADDITION TO a Generac 10kw to 15kw whole house system and use the Generac when needed to do laundry, shower, cook, heat/cool house, etc and have the little one going 24/7 for lights, TV/Radio, computers, and refrigerator.