join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to fifty nine

Re: Safely storing fuel

I live in a duplex and it's part of my rental agreement to cut the grass and remove snow. I get a small rental discount for doing so. I've got to keep fuel for the lawn mower and the snow blower. The only area I have to store it is the semi-attached garage.

I keep the propane tanks on the deck (which is ground level), with one of two attached to my Weber grill.

At least I am not dumb enough to store it in the basement or even worse, in the living spaces. The neighbor has a gas grill as well. He is also one of those who pretends to be religious (to hide the losers that they really are, especially the husband) and he burns candles and that scares me more than gasoline, especially with their unruly children. Fortunately I have renters insurance and smoke detectors.

He is one of the reasons I have a burglar alarm (maybe I should add fire detection as well) and the fact that the other unit was burglarized with previous tenants.
Expand your moderator at work

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to peterboro

Re: Safely storing fuel

said by peterboro:

said by tmh :

said by peterboro:

I store gas for my generator where it was meant to be stored...in the gas tank of my car in the garage.

I'm curious how you get it out again. I think it's a great source of emergency fuel. I've tried with a siphon but no luck.

I can siphon it out quite easily or pull the fuel line off the carbs and pump it into a can with the car's electric fuel pump. The fuel line is outside the car as it feeds into dual quads on a supercharger for easy access.

That requires a car with a carb. extremely rare these days.

Far easier to keep a few gas cans around. Especially if you have a shed which allows one to keep them away from the house.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-27
Springfield, VA
kudos:2
reply to IowaCowboy
Do you think you could keep your suggestions more realistic and on topic?

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to fifty nine
In Ohio it depends on the city. Some do not allow any gas or grills period within 5feet of any building, rented or owned.

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
reply to IowaCowboy
My suggestion is to get a Propane powered generator and more propane tanks or get a 250 or 500 gallon Propane tank installed.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
Click for full size
Sportsman GEN7000LP (propane side)
Click for full size
500-gallon Underground Propane Tank
said by TheTechGuru:

My suggestion is to get a Propane powered generator and more propane tanks or get a 250 or 500 gallon Propane tank installed.

Good suggestion!

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
Yep, a generator like that could run over a month on a 500 gallon.

I personally would get that same one you have IN ADDITION TO a Generac 10kw to 15kw whole house system and use the Generac when needed to do laundry, shower, cook, heat/cool house, etc and have the little one going 24/7 for lights, TV/Radio, computers, and refrigerator.
--

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

2 edits
said by TheTechGuru:

I know.

I personally would get that same one you have IN ADDITION TO a Generac 10kw to 15kw whole house system and use the Generac when needed to do laundry, shower, cook, heat/cool house, etc and have the little one going 24/7 for lights, TV/Radio, computers, and refrigerator.

If your house runs primarily off propane, that's way overkill actually. I just ran a test for a few hours this weekend. My house has propane forced air heat, propane tankless hot water, propane dryer, propane stove, propane BBQ gas grill, in addition to 2 refrigerators, 1 chest freezer, well pump, and various lights and TVs, etc.

I totally forgot to add load slowly to that generator, I just flipped off the mains and flipped to generator power, and even with everything loaded at once, it ran with no struggles. I ran the dishwasher, clothes washer, propane dryer simultaneously while the well pump, furnace, water heater, fridges & freezer all kicked on and off as needed. AND I had some lights and a couple TVs and cable boxes going... and the generator never whimpered or struggled.

The only thing I would not be able to run in an outage with anything else would be my 4-ton central A/C unit. It would probably murder my generator if I loaded it alongside all the other stuff I listed. But minus A/C, 6000 watts pretty much powered my entire house with multiple simultaneous appliances running. Impressive I think!

Electric ranges and/or electric hot water heaters would not allow for as much simultaneous use- a definite advantage to propane over electric in an outage.

In reality, a 10kW-17kW standby would have only 1 big advantage: it takes no real effort once power goes out. it can be raining cats and dogs or the wind can be whipping out there, and when power goes out, it'll fire right up and power whatever circuits are in it's transfer panel.... and that's it's biggest weakness. It will only run those predetermined circuits in the transfer panel. My interlock allows ANY combination of circuits to be enabled or disabled, allowing for the ultimate flexibility. I am not limited by any number of circuits, only the wattage of my generator.... but it's also the most hands-on approach. I'll be setting it up in the middle of a freezing cold night if I want some power while those with standby units will be snug in their beds. Trade-offs indeed..

Personally, I don't have any mission critical needs of my home electrical system at this time (medical devices, etc.) and given that my outages historically have been very infrequent and short in duration, I think my system is adequate for my needs. To each their own they say... and this is one case where no one size will fit everyone's needs.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 recommendation

said by SwedishRider:

said by TheTechGuru:

I know.

One month running on 500 gal +/- $2000

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
reply to SwedishRider
All of my houses have been all electric.
--

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

Send the bill to FEMA. :-P
--

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

Interestingly, I just called today, propane is at $1.71/gal. So 500 gallons x $1.71/gal = $855

But I can only fill to 400 gallons, and need to call when I get down to 20% (100 gallons). So realistically, 300 gallons would cost $513. Not too bad actually (but still more expensive than POCO power!).

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to TheTechGuru
said by TheTechGuru:

In that case, yes, you'd need a big standby to resume most normal household activity.

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
said by SwedishRider:

said by TheTechGuru:

In that case, yes, you'd need a big standby to resume most normal household activity.

Having experienced Ike first hand, we did need to use a/c. It gets very hot and humid down here.
--

margerydany

join:2012-11-14
Dallas, TX
reply to Jack_in_VA
Use gallon drum for storage.