spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

torontob

join:2012-08-12
North York, ON

Cheapest DATA only plan - who provides it?

Hi everyone,

I need DATA only plan (even 10mbps/month) is good for me. Who provides the cheapest plan for Ontario?

***This is to be used for tetherin or cell phone.

Thanks

eeeaddict

join:2010-02-14

do you mean 10 megabytes per month? also if you have a friend on wind mobile you can ask them to get a $5 a month 1GB data plan as a separate thing

torontob

North York, ON

10Mb per month would do.
Well, I am looking for 50 SIM cards that would do 10mb per month or more.

How does the 1Gb plan work? Can I have multiple sim cards attached to it? Is that SIM card or USB stick?

I can also settle for prepaid or corporate voice plan for 100 minutes per month or 100 texts per month.

***But again the cheapest possible rate

Thanks

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

mbps = megabits per second
Mb = megabit
MB = megabyte

10 MB (megabytes) is pretty small. What exactly is it that you are trying to do? If you are using a cell phone they might make you get a minimal voice plan.

What bugs me about companies in general is that they still discriminate between devices. Virgin for example charges differently between tablets and data sticks.

»www.virginmobile.ca/en/plans/pla···gomobile

torontob

North York, ON

MB.

any suggestions?
I can also settle for free inbound text?

Basically, I want the cheapest text and data plan available. 10MB per month or 1000 text per month (inbound only).

Any of those would do the job for me.

Thanks

BrianON

join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

1 edit

Without knowing where it's hard to make suggestions as coverage areas of the newer/cheaper entrants is limited.

WindMobile has a Pay Your Way plan with $1/MB for data Canada/US wide, requires $40/6months or $100/12months top ups to keep it active. Phones have free incoming calls in areas with Wind Coverage, also in areas with Wind coverage you can get a social mobile add-on which is $5/month for 50MB. (note: also need a phone that supports the frequencies Wind uses to take advantage of Wind coverage areas)

eeeaddict

Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Distributel Cable
reply to torontob

how does free sound? I have speakout and incoming is totally free all you have to do is buy a sim for $10 and add the minimum amount of credit and your balance lasts for 1 year and it includes free incoming text but your on your own when it comes to data

torontob

North York, ON

eeeaddict - I was actually just checking that. It's 7-Eleven that sells right? Do you know who the provider is? Is should say their ID in GSM Networks. Also, how is the receiving text quality? Is it solid all over Ontario? or do you miss incoming SMS sometimes because it's a nofrills SIM? And does $10 really last for 365 days?

Link me to who sells it if it's not 7-Eleven - Thanks

BrianON - I need an independent SIM so "add-on" won't work for me.

Thanks,

BrianON

join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON
reply to torontob

The 7-Eleven SpeakOut has a monthly fee of $1.25 for 911 calls so a $10 top-up won't last a whole year but close to it. They are the cheapest if your usage is low.

eeeaddict

reply to torontob

It actually says speakout but I know for a fact it is rogers so none of the "zone crap" I get with my other mobilicity phone
oh and yeah its 711 that sells it

torontob

North York, ON
reply to BrianON

I hope my device, which is not a human, doesn't make 911 calls I thought 911 fees were long gone - greedy carriers and regulators.

torontob

North York, ON

This is great too:
»www2.windmobile.ca/en/Pages/Pay-···ice.aspx

$1/MB and unlimited incoming text I think but the "life-time" is really bad. I know I will be using only 1MB per month .

Also, the WindMobile Data stick supports unlimited incoming text but it's $2/hour data is not good. And again probably a "life-time" issue.

RobinK

join:2004-04-16
Canada
reply to torontob

What is it that you are doing with data that only requires 1MB a month? If that is all you really use, what is the point in paying for a mobile service at all? You might as well use free wifi hotspots.

Even checking email should use more than 1MB/month for most people these days. Just one image attachment would past that.
--
Argue opinions using facts. Not facts using opinions.

torontob

North York, ON

It's a one way messaging system which requires SMS length of messages back and forth for confirmation so no much data is used.

1MB would give me ~7489 SMS length messages. Taking HTTP headers or other IP headers into consideration it would be around ~5000 SMS which is still very good for usage.

I don't have Wifi available.