All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

utoober

@comcast.net

Youtube block browers with adblock?

Everytime I go to sites like Youtoob, for example, my Firefox browser seems to just hang forever. I don't have this problem with other browsers (IE/Opera). So I'm wondering if Youtoob (and other sites) now block browsers with ad blocking software installed?

Cheddah

join:2001-12-31
San Rafael, CA
kudos:1

Just tried it with FF and AdBlock Plus and everything works fine for me.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to utoober

YouTube works fine with ABP and NoScript installed. Check other extensions for a possible cause.

Grail Knight

Premium
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla
kudos:6
reply to utoober

Fx v17 w/ ABP & Noscript are not impacting YouTube at all.
--
"Paranoia, the destroyer"

lugnut

@look.ca
reply to utoober

I had a similar problem with youtube a few months back. Turned out that they switched me to their HTML5 Beta without informing me about it.

After being suitably pissed off I managed to find the configuration setting that reverted me to the old website.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to utoober

The only website i have seen give me issues randomly with Adblock is Hulu and it specifically calls it out.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

ttiiggy
Premium
join:2001-03-27
Bozeman, MT
reply to utoober

Some entry in my HOSTS file interferes with shows on the CW ( »www.cwtv.com/cw-video/arrow/ ). I can't watch anything on the CW site if I have my hosts file enabled. Re-name hosts to something else and the CW site works fine. Enable hosts file and something in my list makes the CW just sit there... Hulu and YouTube and the other TV shows sites don't seem to have any problem with it.

Expand your moderator at work

Laura_cyber

join:2012-11-28
USA 94102
reply to utoober

Re: Youtube block browers with adblock?

Hi,
I don't think, that Youtube blocked any browser purposely. Actually, I always face problem in watching videos on Firefox. Therefore, I switched to Google Chrome.
Firefox is good and I used it mostly but, for watching videos, or downloading music files, Chrome is better.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
reply to utoober

I used Firefox with noscript for years but recently switched to chrome with adblock. FF just seemed to get slower and slower with each version for quite a while. also since it only uses 1 process a single tab loading or freezing up would bring the whole thing to as standstill. Chrome is not as customizable but the performance is miles ahead.