gugarci
Premium Member
join:2004-02-25
Lyndhurst, NJ

1 edit

gugarci

Premium Member

Firefox 17 issue on speedtest.net

I'm having issues with Firefox 17 on the »www.speedtest.net website. I'm only having the issue with my laptop which is running Win 7 Pro x64 and I just downloaded and installed the latest ATI drivers but it made no difference. When I run the speedtest the graphics stutter, they keep starting and stopping all through the test.

With Chrome and IE9 the graphics are smooth, no interruption in the graphic during the test. I also have the latest Flash installed. I have also tried using the site with all my add-ons disable and tried turning off hardware acceleration in Flash. The only thing I have not done yet is a clean install of Firefox.

Thanks.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

1 recommendation

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

FF 17, latest flash, and can't reproduce your issue.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar to gugarci

Premium Member

to gugarci
No problem for me here in mid Michigan,Fx17.

gugarci
Premium Member
Lyndhurst, NJ

gugarci

Premium Member

It's odd, my other PC's are fine. It's just my laptop and only with Firefox 17. .

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar to gugarci

Premium Member

to gugarci
Sometimes these browsers do odd things. I have mine set to update itself automatically but it never has.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn to gugarci

Premium Member

to gugarci
Working OK for me too. Firefox 17 with a boat load of extensions.

gugarci
Premium Member
Lyndhurst, NJ

gugarci

Premium Member

I had a feeling it was just me since my other PC's are fine. Like i said when i run a speedtest the graphic don't run well. They keep stopping and when they start up again about a second or 2 later they jump to where they should of been had they not stopped in the first place. This is very noticeable in the speed meter needle, in the little ball that goes from the pyramid to the guy, and in the numbers that keeps changing rapidly displaying your results during the test. Like I said they stop and start up a second or 2 later at a different spot.

I might try to do a clean install of Firefox later today. Again not seeing any other issues and not seeing this in my other PC's. The only thing different on my end is my ISP. I was using Comcast 20/3 and yesterday I got Fios 50/25.

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

chachazz to gugarci

Premium Member

to gugarci
Three considerations:
- hardware acceleration
- Flash
- javascript

It runs very nicely using Shumway.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to gugarci

Premium Member

to gugarci
Speedtest.net is heavily dependant on Flash.
In the case of a Moz Browser, ABP will remove and therefore slow some of the content, thus slowing the results of the site.

Your ISP, like Bell Canada, may have it's own Speed Test, that's from you to the closest "CO" Central Office.

I don't see how hardware acceleration plays into the mix, unless I'm missing something but I highly doubt it.

This site used to be useful, I saw it quoted all the time back when folks had contant page load issues under XP & Win98.

Stick it in your Hosts file and move on.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to gugarci

to gugarci
There is no problem with Firefox and speedtest.com. Something else messed up, or is messing up, Firefox.

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

2 edits

chachazz to siljaline

Premium Member

to siljaline
said by siljaline:

I don't see how hardware acceleration plays into the mix, unless I'm missing something but I highly doubt it.

@ Adobe
quote:
If I have display problems with Flash Player, what should I do?

If you have display problems with Flash Player, such as poor picture quality or slow display times, deselect Enable Hardware Acceleration in the Display panel. This should eliminate hardware or driver compatibility problems with Flash Player. Flash Player then uses software to scale and display the content.
Discussed often in this forum ... In Firefox disable in Options>Advanced.
Worth a try to disable it and see how the test plays out.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

OK, does this assume that the hardware acceleration option should be chosen for those with GPU challenged machines ?

Since many do not, I deselect this and as I've said, this has no bearing on the thread but does overall for current builds of FX.

gugarci
Premium Member
Lyndhurst, NJ

gugarci

Premium Member

I was wrong. The problem seems to be with that site only and all of my PC's that access the internet wirelessly. And I'm not having any speed issues I have checked all my PC's with the Verizon Broadband speed test.
»my.verizon.com/micro/spe ··· oadband/

And all my Firefoxes use No-Script and ABP. Anyway since I'm not having any other issues I'm going to move on for now.

But I'm thinking it might be a router setting that's preventing that site from working properly. I'm using an Antiontec MI424WR router with my firewall setting set to medium.