share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 edit

[NCAA-F] Notre Dame playing USC for a bid to BCS title game

Irish's big game tonight. A big win against USC sets them for BCS title game. But a loss to 7-4 USC kills their title game hopes. All the marbles on the line here.

»www.washingtonpost.com/national/···ory.html

USC has won 9 of the last 10 meetings. Other interesting stats: »espn.go.com/blog/chicago/college···e-at-usc
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

Notre Dame stats:
»espn.go.com/college-football/tea···ng-irish

USC stats:
»espn.go.com/college-football/tea···-trojans
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to FFH

ND still ahead with 2 mins left in game, but they missed numerous chances to put USC away for good and didn't convert.

ND now up 22-13 with 2 mins to go after stopping USC inside 2 yd line for 5 straight downs.
--

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

said by FFH:

ND still ahead with 2 mins left in game, but they missed numerous chances to put USC away for good and didn't convert.

ND now up 22-13 with 2 mins to go after stopping USC inside 2 yd line for 5 straight downs.

ND wins 22-13 and will play for the national championship in the BCS title game.
--

vasta

join:2003-04-07
Orlando, FL

Feel sorry for ND if they have to play Alabama or basically any SEC team

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

said by vasta:

Alabama will smoke ND. It's going to be a stinker of a NC game this year.
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

bruin23
Premium
join:2004-06-17
San Francisco, CA

said by pflog:

said by vasta:

Can't be worse than last year's snooze-fest. The faux playoff system can't come soon enough.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

said by bruin23:

said by pflog:

said by vasta:

Can't be worse than last year's snooze-fest. The faux playoff system can't come soon enough.

How would the 4 team playoff be much different than this year's potential championship matchup? If there is one dominant team then it is a 2 game snooze fest for the national championship...no?
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
#occupytheworkplace
--
Obama...it's junior high school all over again!
--
Democrats don't mind raising taxes because democrats don't pay taxes.

bruin23
Premium
San Francisco, CA

said by drslash:

How would the 4 team playoff be much different than this year's potential championship matchup? If there is one dominant team then it is a 2 game snooze fest for the national championship...no?

Because teams are dominant but they don't generally play top 4 teams too often. Other than this year's SEC championship game and the Bama/LSU game earlier this season, there weren't any top 4 matchups. It would be really difficult for any one team to win 2 straight games vs. a Top 4 opponent during the regular season and it'll be even harder when the games will be back to back, thus adding to the excitement and unpredictability.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA

said by bruin23:

said by drslash:

Because teams are dominant but they don't generally play top 4 teams too often. Other than this year's SEC championship game and the Bama/LSU game earlier this season, there weren't any top 4 matchups. It would be really difficult for any one team to win 2 straight games vs. a Top 4 opponent during the regular season and it'll be even harder when the games will be back to back, thus adding to the excitement and unpredictability.

If Alabama is as dominant as some say, then the SEC championship will be a snooze fest and the title game will be a snooze fest. I don't see how a 4 team playoff changes any of that.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
#occupytheworkplace
--
Obama...it's junior high school all over again!
--
Democrats don't mind raising taxes because democrats don't pay taxes.

bruin23
Premium
San Francisco, CA

said by drslash:

said by bruin23:

said by drslash:

If Alabama is as dominant as some say, then the SEC championship will be a snooze fest and the title game will be a snooze fest. I don't see how a 4 team playoff changes any of that.

Well that's the thing - we don't know how dominant it really is and we won't find out until after the SEC championship and, if they win, the BCS championship. Plus, this goes for all teams playing in the BCS championship. I doubt Notre Dame is really as good as its ranking, so if there were a 4 team playoff, they'd have a harder path to the national championship than they do now.

An extra game in college football is huge. Look at the current standings. You have Notre Dame, 3 very good SEC teams and a very good Oregon team that barely lost to a very good Stanford team. If the 4 team selection were in place now, the loser of next week's SEC championship would be bumped out out of the top 4 and Oregon would most likely move up to #4. Assuming they'd beat ND, they would give either Bama or Florida a run for their money, just like they did against Auburn 2 years ago. Although the possibility of Florida playing for the national title and not the SEC winner is pretty crazy, but that's for another discussion.

f0rtys3ven

join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI

I don't like how the ratings are so hidden.

Does anyone know exactly what its made up of?

I have always heard alot of things and its really complex as the answer. I know its the Polls + records + strength of schedule but don't know how it works out.

Lets not get too worked up.

Change is coming. It is coming.
--
O you want me to watch my mouth. How. Take my fucking eye balls out and turn them around. Look. I'll burn your fucking house down circle around and hit the hydrant so you can't put your burning furniture out.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
reply to bruin23

A healthy Oregon v Alabama is the match up I would like to see. Too bad it isn't going to happen.

I'm so looking forward to a playoff instead of the BSCS system.

I'm a USC fan stuck with Lane Kiffin so I think any other fans' complaints are minor.

Lane Kiffin's epitaph as a coach should be: "No coach has ever done so little with so much."

There were many teams better than USC. In fact USC was a poor team and a classic text book example of the impact of good or bad coaching. Classic because their coaching is so bad and classic because in term of individual athletic talent no other team in the nation comes close to what they have.

Don't be surprised that on a team dominated by underclassmen that USC may lead in the number of draft picks in the next NFL draft. It's just a question of whether or not certain underclassmen such as Woods and Lee stay or declare.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to pflog

said by pflog:

said by vasta:

This writer feels Notre Dame will smoke Alabama:
»bleacherreport.com/articles/1459···-alabama
--

pro7070
BJ "The Prodigy" Penn
Premium
join:2002-06-28
Inman, SC
kudos:1

Notre Dame has to play a near perfect game to have a chance. Notre Dame is an outstanding team and has had a great year, but from top to bottom Alabama is better in every aspect of the game. But if Notre Dame can get a turnover early and get the lead who knows. I see it Alabama 24-10

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

said by pro7070:

Notre Dame has to play a near perfect game to have a chance. Notre Dame is an outstanding team and has had a great year, but from top to bottom Alabama is better in every aspect of the game. But if Notre Dame can get a turnover early and get the lead who knows. I see it Alabama 24-10

Yeah I'm thinking maybe 27-10 or 31-14.
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

vasta

join:2003-04-07
Orlando, FL
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

said by pflog:

said by vasta:

This writer feels Notre Dame will smoke Alabama:
»bleacherreport.com/articles/1459···-alabama

The guy who wrote that article isn't very confident...

Marques Eversoll @MJEversoll
Pulling for Notre Dame tonight, but I think Alabama wins easily. #Bama 24, #Irish 13.

They don't belong in this game

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

said by vasta:

The guy who wrote that article isn't very confident...

Marques Eversoll @MJEversoll
Pulling for Notre Dame tonight, but I think Alabama wins easily. #Bama 24, #Irish 13.

They don't belong in this game

Yes, ND down 28-0 at half time. Can't get their running game going at all.
--

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..

1 recommendation

It's a freaking massacre. Damn. Now we are going to have to listen to another year of elitist extremists thumping their chests while proclaiming the SEC is the greatest college football conference in the nation with their top teams able to beat weak NFL teams and other such delusions of grandeur.

Oh, for the record, I think the SEC is an excellent conference and in certain narrow specific ways the best conference in the nation. They just are overrated and not as good as their worshipers think--but still very good nevertheless.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

This is a joke. ND is one of the most overrated #1 team in history.
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium

1 edit

Overrated? No. They were undefeated and beat some good teams. Who else can make that claim. No one.

Least athletically talented "#1 team in history?" I would agree with that.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA

I think Notre Dame over achieved all year. That is a sign of good coaching.

bruin23
Premium
San Francisco, CA
reply to FFH

It should've been Oregon vs. Alabama for the title. In the past 8 BCS title games, only Oregon's put up some kind of challenge against the respective SEC team.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
reply to pflog

said by pflog:

This is a joke. ND is one of the most overrated #1 team in history.

Won't be #1 very long.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

BigReds42
Premium
join:2004-07-14
Bellaire, OH
reply to Blogger

said by Blogger:

Overrated? No. They were undefeated and beat some good teams. Who else can make that claim. No one.

Least athletically talented "#1 team in history?" I would agree with that.

They were overrated.

I don't care what the stats say... who did they really beat that was ANY good?

They would have been 5-7 in the SEC.

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI
reply to FFH

Well that was a pubstmp.

Can we schedule the Alabama v Jacksonville Jags game now?

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4

PROS > College any day sir.

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI

I'd still like to see someone pubstomp Alabama so they remember how it feels.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..

said by f0rtys3ven:

Watch the 2009 Sugar Bowl when highly favored Alabama the then number 4 team in the nation with a 12-1 record played Utah. Holy molly what a thrashing.

Alabama looked like an old lady with a broom chasing and trying to swat a couple of very fast mice while holding of an attack of bats. The score was only respectful because Utah took their foot off the pedal. Just pull up the stats and look at the time it took for Utah to score on their first four or five drives. Man they just went down the field an average of like 10 yards a clip. Alabama was defenseless against Utah's speed and execution multi-play offense.

Enjoy the video HQ highlights and through ass kicking.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc0Ld_Nr_H8

Here is a narrative and stats.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Sugar_Bowl

e_dub
franknbeans
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-12
kickin ass
kudos:2

said by Blogger:

said by f0rtys3ven:

Watch the 2009 Sugar Bowl when highly favored Alabama the then number 4 team in the nation with a 12-1 record played Utah. Holy molly what a thrashing.

Alabama looked like an old lady with a broom chasing and trying to swat a couple of very fast mice while holding of an attack of bats. The score was only respectful because Utah took their foot off the pedal. Just pull up the stats and look at the time it took for Utah to score on their first four or five drives. Man they just went down the field an average of like 10 yards a clip. Alabama was defenseless against Utah's speed and execution multi-play offense.

Enjoy the video HQ highlights and through ass kicking.

(youtube clip)
is a narrative and stats.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Sugar_Bowl

There are numerous reports stating Bama players really didn't care about playing in that game.
Starting OL Andre Smith signed with an agent after it was announced that they would play Utah. He was suspended and did not play in the game.
Yes Bama took a beating but realistically Utah beat a team who didn't want to be there. Bama was still down from the lost to Tebow and Florida in the SEC title game.
But if you need to see a game where Bama was dominated from the start of the clock to the final seconds of the game. The above video is a great example.