All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
robhouston
join:2001-09-15
Bluffton, SC

robhouston to beachintech

to beachintech

Re: Post-Sandy Modem or Comcast Problem??

Thanks, but the problem is intermittent, meaning that it's likely nothing will happen for the short time a tech is here.

That said, if this continues, I'll have no choice but to call for a tech.

dmk08809
join:2001-09-08
Clinton, NJ

dmk08809

Yeah Rob, I'd bet our problems are unrelated . . . but . . . After being stable for nearly a week its starting to come off the rails here again too. Am now seeing periodic bursts of ranging errors - end result is excessive latency, jitter, and packet loss. The problem here existed before Sandy intermittently, eventually the storm hit & service was down for a ~week+, then things slowly improved.

I've already had 2 tech dispatches before & after the storm. Each time they've promised its been fixed after doing something somewhere (they wouldn't reveal what). I tried engaging ComcastSteve but I think he gave up after several unsuccessful volleys back-and-forth. I really don't know what else to do at this point but suppose will try yet another dispatch or maybe seek out the mythical Comcast executive support group to see if they can do anything. I don't wanna drop the service and go back to DSL, but at least that worked reliably (even if a tad slower)!

Its really amazing at just how fragile this technology is for a 3rd generation product; or perhaps maybe how poorly its implemented here resulting in all these chronic problems. At least I know its not just my service -- the neighbors also complain but have been (beaten?) into being complacency and accept the lousy service even for choppy & broken up CDV voice services!

*sigh*

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech to robhouston

Premium Member

to robhouston
You'd be surprised what a good tech can see with their meter. Call in for service, and keep calling until it's resolved.

Zeo
@comcast.net

Zeo

Anon

I too was having high latency and jitter since around the time of Sandy and have been troubleshooting this since. I also like you replaced my modem. I was using a Moto 6120 and bought a new Moto 6121 and had the same exact problems. The 4 visit from techs he tried a Ubee modem from them and it has been working good. I think there is something going on with Moto modems on Comcasts end. What brand are you using?
robhouston
join:2001-09-15
Bluffton, SC

robhouston

Yes, indeed, using both the SB6120 and SB6121 modems. Same problem with both.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny

(topic move) New firmware for Motorola modems?

Moderator Action
The post that was here, has been moved to a new topic .. »New firmware for Motorola modems?