gadawg

join:2006-01-27
Louisville, KY
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
reply to Thinkdiff

Re: New install and existing router

The AT&T tech installed a 2 wire box on the outside of the house and a 2wire modem inside the house. I am going to use the AT&T equipment only. Now to set up all our wireless devices to access the network.

4 hours to install and everything appears to be working well. Any last pieces of advice for the wireless network security?

Currently I am using it as it was set up.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

Might want to change the default SSID (wireless name) and password for the wireless network as they are relatively easy to crack. Make sure the wireless security is at least WPA. WPA2 is better.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Lagz
Premium
join:2000-09-03
The Rock
reply to gadawg

What model 2wire did you get?

Canezoid
End of line

join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to gadawg

This was an INID install per his installation info, so the inside unit is an I38hg, it is an access point only. Hookup to that could be changed if tech wired to the ethernet port directly, but most don't, then the op could just use his own equipment.

Routing logic is handled by the unit outside.

Just my 2c.

gadawg

Louisville, KY
reply to Thinkdiff

Ok. I will do that. Settings, LAN and then wireless after I go to the IP address? Only change those correct?
Leave the Wireless Access Point List and Unique Settings alone?

Wi-Fi Protected Setup is currently disabled (default)

gadawg

Louisville, KY
reply to Lagz

i3812V outside and i38hg inside(router).

Lagz
Premium
The Rock

Here's the manual for your setup »www.att.com/support_media/images···2_UG.pdf

The modems config pages look similar to my 2wire. I have multiple routers, switches, and non-switched hubs behind my modem. If you feel comfortable messing with router/modem settings then you can try a few things.

I would give your current router an IP address within the DHCP range of the modem. Then go to the modem and open its config page. Go to settings tab > LAN tab > IP address allocation and turn off the modems firewall for that device.

This is currently how I have my networks configured behind my 2wire modem.
--
When somebody tells you nothing is impossible, ask him to dribble a football.

gadawg

Louisville, KY
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
reply to gadawg

I will use the ATT equipment. Much stronger wirelsss signal than our old router. Changed the network name and password. ATT support had to do it because I couldn't find the system password. Tech support and I finally found it on the battery backup. Not on the wireless router.

Very happy with the whole setup. Better DVR's than our old cable provider. Liking the guide as well.

Lagz
Premium
The Rock
reply to gadawg

Just a note of caution about Wi-Fi Protected Setup(WPS) security issues. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Prot···Security
--
When somebody tells you nothing is impossible, ask him to dribble a football.

Mangix

join:2012-02-16
united state

Not applicable to 2Wire U-Verse gateways.

On this 3600HG-V I have, neither the pin method nor the push button method work. It's completely broken.