spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Five5tar2
join:2012-11-24
RU

Five5tar2

Can I use 2 MI424WR routers at once, 1 for dd-wrt

I have 2 Actiontec routers, 1 is from an old installation that I have sitting around and that's a Rev. F. My current router is a Rev. C

My question is, can I use the old router as a dd-wrt?

I want to use dd-wrt for VPN use. Assuming this would prevent exposing my actual IP if I get disconnected from the VPN server.

Thanks guys

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Not exactly sure what you're trying to accomplish, could you elaborate? What do you mean by prevent exposing your actual IP?

More directly, you can only have one WAN device on a normal FiOS connection. You could install dd-wrt on the Rev C and use that as the primary router, then connect the Rev F to the LAN side (either as a secondary router, which isn't a great idea, or switch/AP).

Five5tar2
RU

Five5tar2

My VPN is based in a different country so I can access stuff that is blocked in my country.

If I lose connection to the VPN for any reason, my actual location will be exposed, then I would lose my account which I can't have happen.

i.e. If VPN connection disconnects, the VPN IP address is no longer broadcasting and my computer auto-switches back to my home connection and starts broadcasting my home IP again.

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

1 recommendation

PoloDude

Premium Member

You don't understand how a VPN works. You always have a "Home IP" . You get that from your local ISP. With the VPN you a creating a tunnel to a remote computer/server, from which you are accessing the the internet. If you lose you VPN that should be something that you instantly see via aome kind of warning that pops up on your screen.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

1 recommendation

More Fiber to Five5tar2

MVM

to Five5tar2
said by Five5tar2:

My question is, can I use the old router as a dd-wrt?

Asked and answered here:
»Can I use 2 FiOS Actiontec MI424WR routers, 1 for dd-wrt
said by Five5tar2:

Assuming this would prevent exposing my actual IP if I get disconnected from the VPN server.

Not a valid assumption.

The traffic over the VPN would be encrypted, but the originating and destination IP address of your VPN connection would be visible to the VPN host, your ISP and anybody in between.

Since this is not a FIOS question, I'm going to ask the mods to move this to the networking forum.

Five5tar2
RU

Five5tar2

Sorry, I misunderstood how dd-wrt works, I thought I could connect a secondary router to my primary and have it broadcast my VPN connection.
quote:
If you lose you VPN that should be something that you instantly see via aome kind of warning that pops up on your screen.

This I understand, but basically the service I'm using while on the VPN instantly detects a new IP and it's location. I need to avoid this ever happening. Any insight on what I should be looking for?

Thanks guys, and my apologies in OP

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

1 recommendation

More Fiber

MVM

VPNs don't "broadcast" their address, although every VPN packet contains both source and destination IP address in the clear of the endpoint of the VPN.

Are we talking about some type of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing application (i.e. bittorrent or similar)? If so, then yes, those broadcast their IP address to others so I could see how you would say that if you lost your VPN connection, it would start broadcasting your home IP address. If this is the situation, then I would suggest remote hosting. Run the P2P application on the remote system and use a VPN into that system.

Five5tar2
RU

Five5tar2

said by More Fiber:

Run the P2P application on the remote system and use a VPN into that system.

Any tutorials on setting up a remote system? But this would require an additional system, right?

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Information on setting up the remote system should be provided by the hosting provider.
said by Five5tar2:

But this would require an additional system, right?

I'm talking about renting a seedbox or Virtual Private Server (VPS)

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seedbox
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vi ··· e_server