Prairie Dog
Here's Looking At You Kid
Premium Member
join:2000-08-09
Langhorne, PA

Prairie Dog

Premium Member

[AT&T] Unlocked Nokia E71 on the ATT network

Hi guys. I just purchased a new, supposedly unlocked Nokia E71 cellphone from Bestbuy for my daughter. It has a Rogers (Canada) insignia on the front, and the setting are for Rogers of Canada. I try to delete the Roger Settings, and get the message, access denied. I am trying to use this on the ATT network. I cannot send MMS, but can make calls, and send regular text messages. My question is, is this cellphone truly unlocked, or has Bestbuy sold me a phone that is locked on the Rogers Network. Thanks for any help, I am new to this unlocked phone stuff. I do have the family plan on ATT network.

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck

MVM

Take it back and tell them to fix/change it or get your money back.

Prairie Dog
Premium Member
Langhorne, PA

Prairie Dog

Premium Member

thanks for the reply, so you believe as I do, that the phone is not unlocked, and was meant to be used on the Rogers Wireless system, correct? Again, I am new to this. Thanks for the reply.

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck to Prairie Dog

MVM

to Prairie Dog
I'm not sure how they got a phone for Rogers in the US. I think it is their problem to solve for you.

Prairie Dog
Premium Member
Langhorne, PA

Prairie Dog

Premium Member

thank you

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid

you could unlock it online for like $10. it's quick and easy...
broccoli
join:2007-11-29
Portland, OR
Draytek Vigor2860Vac
EnGenius EAP600
Obihai OBi100

broccoli to Prairie Dog

to Prairie Dog
Apparently the phone is unlocked, but the carrier-specific network settings, specifically the MMSC path and probably the APN, are not correct (Google for the correct settings). You need to check the phone settings and see if you can change them or add new entries and make them the default.

Unfortunately many newer phones sold by carriers have these settings inaccessible and/or unmodifiable by the user. This is done to partly to lock the phone down (and reduce its usefulness if used on a different network), and partly to prevent the user from messing with them which would result in support calls. Sometimes they can be unhidden/changed by various means (uploading a file, having the carrier to send a service SMS, modifiying the registry, etc).