spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

swales

@qwest.net

Offered to buy T1, but CenturyLink don't know what to do.

We have 54 people on our DSLAM.. 48 is supposed to be max. There is 1 T1 line servicing all 54 customers. I contacted CenturyLink about adding another T1 to service our DSLAM. The 54 customers are willing to pay the 'extra' fee for the T1... which if I got myself would only be a little over $200, so CenturyLink's cost would be less than that.

CenturyLink doesn't know what to do or how to handle this request. I figure splitting a $200 T1 between 50 customer is only $4 a month per customer.... heck.. I would pay twice that if THEY WOULD LISTEN and figure out what to do.
Expand your moderator at work

Technicholas
Premium
join:2010-11-11
Winterset, IA
reply to swales

Re: Offered to buy T1, but CenturyLink don't know what to do.

There is no way one T1 could handle 54 customers alone. 27kbps per customer!

Nicholas

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
It has been done before by several Co-Ops and many ISPs do start off with just a T1 and work their way up.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to swales
What speed do you have. If truly only one T1 I know the answer.

Still I never remember 48 to a sole T1 or comparable circuit.

I know there have been a few small T1 like rural deployments of DSL when I was there but very limited customers and usually unique circumstances. Not all that common in the area I worked.

Nemesis158

join:2012-09-15
Spokane, WA
reply to swales
Its not as simple as plugging in a new T1 circuit.
T1 circuits have to be allocated from the CO along the copper bundle. If there arent any more copper curcuits available they cannot increase the bandwidth to your box without running new cable, which isnt worth what it would actually cost them to do that

battleop

join:2005-09-28
This is probably the reason why they have not already added more T1s. For an ILEC adding more T1s to a DSLAM there is very little cost if there is existing copper pairs available. If it's not then it could get very expensive quickly.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

ydoucare

join:2003-03-12
Lafayette, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to swales
1 T1 for 54 customers? Why did they even bother installing the DSLAM if that's all they were going to feed it? I know of several local WISPs that have more bandwidth than that with far less customers.

They had 4 T1's on mine with about 20 - 30 customers and it was getting bad. They eventually added more, but I have no idea how many.

Nemesis158

Spokane, WA
we had 139 users on a terminal that had all 8 T1 circuits wired up and it was bad. Anytime more than a few people were online i would see slowdowns and horrible ping spikes.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
said by Nemesis158:

we had 139 users on a terminal that had all 8 T1 circuits wired up and it was bad. Anytime more than a few people were online i would see slowdowns and horrible ping spikes.

Depends on the speeds offered. If no torrents or heavy downloaders and before netflix that would not be a bad ratio. Streaming video and torrent users can eat that up quick.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
reply to swales
I've never heard of a $200 T1.

CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID
kudos:7
reply to swales
Hi,

If you send me your account information I will check to see if we have any upgrades scheduled for the DSLAM that services your area.

Thanks,

Corey Tidwell
Centurylink Help Team
TalkToUs@centurylink.com

Nemesis158

Spokane, WA
reply to nonymous
All of them are on 1.5. With streaming becoming more and more prevalent, 8 users watching a SD vid on youtube will choke this node.

codyyy

@embarqhsd.net
reply to swales
we used to have t1 lines connected to are dslam and we had bad peak hours with the dslam at max capacity but they finally upgraded it to fiber optics straight to the dslam