share rss forum feed

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Premium,Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South
kudos:1

Jelly Bean Issues

Since installing Jelly Bean on my Galaxy Nexus I have had two new issues which were not a problem with ICS.

First, is the abnormally long boot time. It can take up to several minutes to boot with just the Google logo showing for an extended period of time. Second, the phone will loose data connection where the bars go from blue to gray. Occasionally, switching to airplane mode and back will fix it, but more often than not it will require the long reboot.

I have read that others have this issue also.

I hope they fix these issues with the next update.
--

Reality is the leading cause of stress among those who are in touch with it.--Jane Wagner

mob
On the next level..
Premium
join:2000-10-07
Did you try wiping all your cache, resetting phone?

Sometimes a corrupt data cache will throw everything off...

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to skj
+1 on doing a reset on the phone. I cannot comment too much about ICS on my Galaxy Nexus for I only had it for a few hours until I updated to Jelly Bean. However, I have not experienced the problems you are having with Jelly Bean. If it were me, I would do a reset.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
reply to skj
said by skj:

First, is the abnormally long boot time.

That seems to be caused by the file system being dismounted improperly at shutdown thus causing the file system to be marked as "dirty" which triggers a file system check upon boot of the phone. Some people have had issues with certain kernels, myself... I run iMoseyOn's leanKernel on my AOKP-based ROM on my Galaxy Nexus and I don't have those extremely long boot times at all. I'm running AOKP Milestone 1.

As for those data connection issues, makes sure you're running the latest baseband firmware. If you don't know if you are, check out the Galaxy Nexus RootzWiki Forum and ask, many people who have that phone should be able to help you.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to skj
What flavor of Jelly Bean are you using? Are you GSM or CDMA? Which ROM and Kernel?

The latest xylon ROM is smooth and fast. Available at XDA.

--
Another 4 years of Hope and Change.
The rich will still get richer and the poor get an Obamaphone and Food Stamps. lol

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South
Click for full size
I am using the stock Verizon CDMA version.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH
Yeah, that's that latest baseband firmware, namely FF02/FG02.

I don't run stock and haven't at all run the stock ROM on the phone. Like I said in a previous post I've run AOKP and leanKernel for a long time and I don't have any of the issues you have. There have been a lot of fixes since Android 4.1.1 included in 4.1.2 which AOKP Milestone 1 is based on.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South
I am going to try and clear out the cache partition since that seems like the least "drastic" measure to start with.
--

Reality is the leading cause of stress among those who are in touch with it.--Jane Wagner

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South
Is there any difference between clearing the cache from each app and clearing out the cache partition?
--

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
You might not be able to clear the cache for ALL apps, specifically "system" apps. It probably only works for user-installed apps. Well, now that I think about that, that's likely not true. I know I can clear the cache for the camera, amongst others. Nonetheless, clearing the /cache partition is harmless and certainly easier than doing it app by app.

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South

1 edit
Found a way to boot up much faster by going into recovery mode and than hitting start.
Edit: After booting up in the recovery mode, the regular mode is much faster now, also.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH
That still seems like a kernel bug, or at least a ROM bug. Ordinarily the file system should be dismounted cleanly and properly upon shutdown so as to make it so that a file system check isn't necessary.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH
User apps and their data exists on the /data partition. If you want to go back to a clean state you could do a Factory Reset which wipes the /data partition but then of course you'd have to reinstall all of your apps and preferences.
--
Tom

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH
I looked at my phone, there is a folder located on the /data partition called "data" so the full path to it would be /data/data. In that folder contains all of the data for each individual app, you could in theory erase all data in that folder and all apps would go back to clean state without having to wipe the whole phone.

The /cache partition holds the Dalvik Cache but ordinarily Android maintains that. Think of Dalvik Cache as the compiled copies of the APK (or app) files you have on your phone. APKs are nothing but Java bytecode files, Dalvik Cache holds the compiled versions of the Java bytecode found in the APKs.
--
Tom

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South
Thanks. I am trying to do everything else that I can without going through all the hassle of a factory reset.
--

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
Is your phone rooted ?

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South
No.

MagicalPig

join:2008-07-25
reply to skj

If it gets to the point where you need to do a factory reset I suggest you unlock the boot loader (The first step in rooting the phone) Since it wipes the phone out it is the best time to do it. You can always choose to root it later. You also do not need to install a custom rom to be rooted. Currently I am rooted on stock. While I might not be using the full power of the GNEX I can still do many useful things being rooted.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to skj
The link provided will give you a useful tool for your phone. It's very difficult to brick your phone with this toolkit and you will be able to unlock or lock the bootloader, mod it, rom it, root or unroot it, restore it to factory specs, etc.

»forum.xda-developers.com/showthr···=1614827

Just make sure you choose the correct settings for your phone.