Blockfire
Sarcasm is my native tongue

join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service

benefits of Multiple SSD's?

in preparation of cyber monday deals, i have an ssd with my OS and a couple of games on it already. I am thinking of picking up another small SSD just for the OS and then using my 128gb one for games and then using my mechanical drive for the rest of the crap. Is there really any benefit to having the OS on it's own SSD? Would having two SSD's in a RAID setup be worth an investment?

just some thoughts on a shitty weekend work day.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
I'd say buy the largest single SSD you can afford or feel comfortable paying for. SSD units in a RAID 0 array isn't a bad idea though if you want to increase your space as long as you have a good backup solution (which you should have anyway). Such a setup would be made even better if you have a Z77 based platform because it will presumably support TRIM.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to Blockfire
There's no reason to use multiple solid state drives with standard PC usage or even standard gamer usage without putting those drives into a raid 0.

Considering that you should always back up your data anyways, the issue of failure shouldn't be a big deal. Store your movies, mp3s, etc on the large drive and store your OS and all of the games you currently play on the SSD or SSD array.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Blockfire
Not worth it. Buy the largest SSD you can afford, and make back-ups. I've dealt with RAID 0 on regular HDDs and had it fail after 3.5 years. Good thing I had backups and awesome support from WD.

For SSDs, I doubt you would notice the difference in speed outside of benchmarks. I'd listen to what Octavean says, he has had experience with a dozen or more SSDs in and out of RAID.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.