Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bwash
Premium
join:2005-02-24
Diamond Bar, CA

Availablility of Motorola 6141

Why isn't this available at major tech stores like Frys, Best Buy, NewEgg, etc.?
--
RoadRunner - Motorola SB 5120

Bigman397

join:2012-11-25
Lincoln, NE
Usually cable modems aren't sold direct to retailers, they are sold to industry suppliers like NCTC who then work with the cable providers for bulk purchases.

There isn't much of a market for selling modems directly to subscribers, as most cable providers like to provide specific modems. This keeps the number of firmware upgrades they need to keep built in their provisioning system to a minimum and also keeps tech support happy when there is a specific list of modems they can reasonably assume will need troubleshooting.

Due to the overwhelming number of modems out there and a general lack of demand, can you blame retailers for not wanting the hassle?

bwash
Premium
Diamond Bar, CA
You may be correct, however the SB6121 is everyplace. I was looking at one of the sellers on Amazon and noticed that what they are selling is not a retail package and therefore there is no warranty.

There was a comment from someone who said in January the SB6141 will be in the retail outlets replacing the SB6121. So maybe the answer is the SB6141 is not a retail product yet.
--

PCInTech
keeping art alive since 1953
Premium
join:2004-06-07
Massena, NY
kudos:9
Reviews:
·VOIPO
I bought a 6141 on Ebay on Veteran's Day, and there was a Motorola Warranty card in the box, along with full printed manual and quick setup card. It was shrink wrapped and sealed, but clearly a "brown box" bulk packaged unit, like cable companies would get.

bwash
Premium
Diamond Bar, CA
Sorry, I should have said that the warranty is not valid if it were NOT purchased from an authorized seller. At least that was my understanding. I would like to know if Motorola will indeed be releasing the SB 6141 to the retail chain to replace the SB 6121.
--

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
The SB6140's have been all over the place around here ('tho NEVER supported by TWC.) I don't think it's a matter of "releasing" them, but one of Best Buy, et. al., not lining up to buy palets of them. (because they have palets of 6140's they cannot move.)

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
"The SB6140's have been all over the place around here ('tho NEVER supported by TWC.) I don't think it's a matter of "releasing" them, but one of Best Buy, et. al., not lining up to buy palets of them. (because they have palets of 6140's they cannot move.)"

A 6140?
I dont even think that even exists.

I would love to see a pallet of them.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC
Yes, 6-1-4-0. Best Buy has had them on shelves for months. Motorola doesn't list them anymore, so I don't know why they still have them on the shelves (or even if they still do... it's Christmas; I'm not going anywhere near a BB)

I had the same W-T-F moment. Of all the D3 cablemodems on the shelf, only the SBG6580 is on anyone's approved list. (it's also the most expensive)

[The only place you'll see a pallet is the distribution center. They won't send that many to an individual store.]

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
Both the 6120 and the 6141 are on the Time Warner approved list.

Can you find me a link to the this 6-1-4-0. Ebay would do.

Good luck.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC
6121 And it looks like the Zoom 5341J is on the list now.

It's not an approved device, so why would I bother looking for one?

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
reply to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

Both the 6120 and the 6141 are on the Time Warner approved list.

Can you find me a link to the this 6-1-4-0. Ebay would do.

Good luck.

Hob

wait the SB6120 is supported now?

Also I would say to anyone if you can't get a SB6141 go with the: Zoom 5341J
Netgear CMD31T
Motorola SBG6580

The reason I am saying this is TWC is already launching 8 channel downstream bonding and the Dallas area and NYC metro areas already have 6 channel bonding on the downstream which will probably go to 8 in 2013. Now I had heard on one of the cable tv tech forums that the Cisco 10k CMTS' were telling 4 channel modems to stop bonding on the downstream (6120, 6121, .etc) So I warn that there may be some issues in areas that have Cisco 10k's especially Austin/waco texas which seems to use 10k's as their primary CMTS brand. I know that North Texas had or has Cisco 10k's as I was on one for the longest and then got switched to a brand new Arris C4.

I personally have seen the zoom brand of modems at my local staples which is about 3 or 4 blocks from my house.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
reply to cramer
Just trying to keep things accurate.

Thanks....

Hob