Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel

Premium Member

[BC] Shaw is a rip-off

I was just looking at what shaw has to offer and I see the cheapest is 10 down and a real crappy 512 up...for 50 bucks!!!

Yikes!!

Guess I'll be staying with Telus.

Major burn

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Telus's 10 plan is $47
The upload is a little faster, but the difference really doesn't make a difference.

The cheapest is the "Access" package I think its $50 for TV, internet, and phone bundled together, just the basics. If you are looking.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to Cartel

to Cartel
It's the same with Shaw (and Telus). The only way to get discounts is to bundle services. When you look at internet by itself it's pretty expensive.

To be fair they are both a rip-off I've considered switching back to Telus. The problem is if you look beyond the 6 month intro deal, they end up being more expensive for me than my old shaw bundle (probably on par with the newer shaw bundle rates)

M_
join:2010-05-01
Vancouver, BC

M_ to Cartel

to Cartel
Shaw give you free Ellacoya packet management with every account. Telus don't do that, so think of it as a bonus?

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to Cartel

to Cartel
You get what you pay for, as well. If you want a premium service, Shaw is a little higher than Telus for that reason. I've got the 6x1 ADSL Telus profile as a backup IF my Shaw Biz line goes down. It struggles to do even Netflix and buckles under torrenting, which is why it's a backup and that's all it will ever be.

Also, the Telus 15Mb plan that was brought up by Kevin is $47 bundled. I can't find the standalone price anywhere on their site for just the internet service and not on a promotion. I would say it's in the $65/month range. For that price you can get the Shaw 20Mb or even the 25Mb download, 2.5Mb upload plan. Personally, I've had both services for years and Shaw eats Telus alive for plans. Telus recently came out with their 50Mb x 10Mb plan, but it's to VDSL2 limited areas, which isn't much here.

Texadatimewa
@teksavvy.com

Texadatimewa

Anon

Rusty 6 meg play Netflix just fine.
CR1239
join:2006-11-04
Vancouver, BC

CR1239 to rustydusty

to rustydusty
The good old »www.telus.com/content/in ··· lans.jsp

(that page is always the place to go to get the straight goods)

TELUS 15Mb is $47 bundled, $52 unbundled, regular price. 25Mb is $57 bundled, $62 unbundled.

The rule is always "add $5" for any stand-alone service with TELUS.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to Cartel

to Cartel
I'll paypal you the extra $10/month so you go with Shaw. You will be happier with the overall service they provide. The 6Mb may be able to struggle it's way through an HD video on Netflix, but any other WAN side traffic will make it buffer. We have sometimes 2-3 HD streams going, along with torrents, youtube, etc. The 6Mb just won't suffice for most homes these days, especially mine. It will work as a temporary backup until my Shaw Biz is down (if it goes down, which is hasn't in 3-4 years).
ilianame
join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC

1 edit

ilianame to Cartel

to Cartel
Both choices are comparably unattractive...

One day,

We'll be paying $20 for the municipal "hook up" to the fiber,
then we'll have a choice of transit provider (at ~$5 per 1mbit up/down sustained 95th percentile),
then we'll be paying $0.99 per HD channel from an IPTV provider,
and another $2.99 for unlimited local & long distance phone from a VOIP provider.

OFC before that's possible, the last mile needs to be taken back,
the content provider's geo-loction restrictions would have to be demolished, and on top of that - the most important thing:

CONSUMER'S HAVE TO BECOME AWARE OF THE REAL NEGLIGIBLE COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH ALL OF THE ABOVE SERVICES.
ErikRP
join:2004-11-06
Winnipeg, MB

ErikRP

^ I'll have some of what he's smoking!

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to ilianame

Premium Member

to ilianame
Those 'future' rates are a LOT higher than I am paying now.
ilianame
Burnaby, BC

ilianame

said by ErikRP:

^ I'll have some of what he's smoking!

That stuff costs $160/half

But you should stop drinking
said by kevinds:

Those 'future' rates are a LOT higher than I am paying now.

Only for HD streams, those future capitalist pigs have no shame - but seriously if I were to pick, I'd gather up 10 channels and stay with them: CNN, Discovery, Space, TLC, HGTV, Speed, and 4 more I'll decide then.

I don't need home phone

And with my traffic, I'll won't be paying much for sustained burst - nothing I use requires more than 3mbps realtime

Baud1200
join:2003-02-10

Baud1200 to ilianame

to ilianame
said by ilianame:

Both choices are comparably unattractive...

One day,

We'll be paying $20 for the municipal "hook up" to the fiber,
then we'll have a choice of transit provider (at ~$5 per 1mbit up/down sustained 95th percentile),
then we'll be paying $0.99 per HD channel from an IPTV provider,
and another $2.99 for unlimited local & long distance phone from a VOIP provider.

the content provider's geo-loction restrictions would have to be demolished, and on top of that - the most important thing:

CONSUMER'S HAVE TO BECOME AWARE OF THE REAL NEGLIGIBLE COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH ALL OF THE ABOVE SERVICES.

You missed that somewhere along the line everything will be moved to Cloud based solution, allowing for both content monitoring/nannying/archiving and removal/censorship at the slightest hint of legal threat and or financial/political pressure to the host(ISP).

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

No, you've missed the fact that I have a 1 TB drive (and, more coming) so I don't need that crap.

Baud1200
join:2003-02-10

Baud1200

said by Juggernaut:

No, you've missed the fact that I have a 1 TB drive (and, more coming) so I don't need that crap.

Thats the solution, stressing local storage. Nobody really needs cloud but they try and present it to the average user as the greatest thing to happen to modern computing, while completely ignoring any of the points mentioned above.

Average user is going to watch the propoganda on tv for it and think "oh this is easy" and be fooled, which will only add to the population base that they will point out every time enthusiast users have anything to say against the concept.
Personally I have 1TB of SSD RAID in my main machine along with a NAS that has 6TB mirrored, sad fact is most home users don't even know what NAS stands for let alone how to implement one and they will just add to the statistics that encourage more and more companies to implement cloud storage.

Likewise... even KIA found a niche in the car market, but you don't see any race or rally car drivers driving them They also cater to that bottom basic user, and that's a scary huge percentage.
ilianame
Burnaby, BC

ilianame to Baud1200

to Baud1200
said by Baud1200:

You missed that somewhere along the line everything will be moved to Cloud based solution, allowing for both content monitoring/nannying/archiving and removal/censorship at the slightest hint of legal threat and or financial/political pressure to the host(ISP).

'Tis true, the iPads are signaling the potential shift that way.
While they are still "local" devices, the form factor in my opinion will be the window to remote computing.
Terminal solution - it does have a lot of attractive points: unlimited processing, storage, portability...
And the negative's of zero user control, no community modding, and easy copyright enforcement will not be highlighted to the general public.

It is quite possible that we will not be able to save anything locally in a few dozen years.

But I'm hoping that the local-storage-industry will prevail with molecular USB sticks and ultrafast NAND

KBAUDRU
@telus.net

KBAUDRU

Anon

Seems like a bunch of hoops to go through just for a internet connection. You would have to be psychic to understand all these rules and regulations.

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc

said by KBAUDRU :

Seems like a bunch of hoops to go through just for a internet connection.

Just subscribe to a wholesaler like TekSavvy, who uses last mile Shaw infrastructure.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to Baud1200

Premium Member

to Baud1200
said by Baud1200:

Thats the solution, stressing local storage.

If you don't have control over it, you don't own it. Strong security measures are required.

How could anyone entrust their life (pics, docs, music etc.) to something not under their control? Servers are seized, crash, or the company goes tits up.

There are plenty of recent examples of that. No thanks.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to bbbc

Premium Member

to bbbc
Only in the Greater Vancouver Area (as far as I can tell)
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango to zod5000

Premium Member

to zod5000
said by zod5000:

It's the same with Shaw (and Telus). The only way to get discounts is to bundle services.

Can you receive a discount for bundling internet and phone with Shaw? According to their site it looks like $50+$35 for the most basic internet and phone. I looked at the bundles but they seem to all include TV.

Telus is $30-$5+$52-$5, and their internet is up to 15Mbit down and 1Mbit up, compared to Shaw's 10Mbit/0.5Mbit.

martinsnort
@shawcable.net

martinsnort

Anon

said by Mango:

said by zod5000:

It's the same with Shaw (and Telus). The only way to get discounts is to bundle services.

Can you receive a discount for bundling internet and phone with Shaw? According to their site it looks like $50+$35 for the most basic internet and phone. I looked at the bundles but they seem to all include TV.

Telus is $30-$5+$52-$5, and their internet is up to 15Mbit down and 1Mbit up, compared to Shaw's 10Mbit/0.5Mbit.

You would get a $10.00 bundle discount for the Basic Phone, but there is no bundled rate for the Internet portion. So, it would be $50.00 (High Speed 10) + $24.95 (Basic Phone).
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

Thanks!
TechChime
join:2012-11-17
Barrie, ON

TechChime to Cartel

to Cartel
trade you rogers...
Mindman
join:2012-12-10
Merritt, BC

Mindman to Cartel

to Cartel
Im not to sure about shaw but. in my area telus is the best for uptime... our work has shaw and it has downtime issues and slow sometimes... all my buddys that had shaw had to switch to telus due to lag/downtime in my area.. but thats only my area and its a small city.
ps3iscool
join:2012-12-27

ps3iscool to Cartel

to Cartel
How else do you expect the CEO to afford his luxury house and cars? If we didn't pay 50Bucks but it actually costs like 5$ or 10$ - with customer service LOL. MAYBE 25$

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to Mindman

to Mindman
said by Mindman:

Im not to sure about shaw but. in my area telus is the best for uptime... our work has shaw and it has downtime issues and slow sometimes... all my buddys that had shaw had to switch to telus due to lag/downtime in my area.. but thats only my area and its a small city.

I could show you graphs of bonded T1 and fiber circuits with 2-3 days of downtime a month. Thankfully mostly during the early morning, unfortunately some sites do remote backups during that time period. It's a hit and miss with either Shaw or Telus. In the central AB area, Shaw's performance and service is far superior. Saying that because I've truly dealt with both providers on a residential and biz side.
TierX
join:2009-01-20
Canada

TierX to ilianame

to ilianame
said by ilianame:

ROFL

I find it funny how much people hugely underestimate FTTH deployment costs. It isn't in the hundreds of millions folks, it's literally f**king billions of dollars for Alberta and BC alone. Neither Shaw or TELUS is going to undertake such a thing; at least without significant cash infusion from the government.
ilianame
Burnaby, BC

1 recommendation

ilianame

$4k per household

Telus Forum: "http://www.dslreports.com/forum/telus"

They need your help, we actually have Shaw reps here

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

1 edit

kevinds to TierX

Premium Member

to TierX
There was one research company in the US that said it would be around $140 billion to get every house in the US on fiber.

Probably about the same here because people are spread a little further apart and there is much more land to cover, but less homes.

I'll find the study when I get back from dinner, blah, for the people who care, they can Google it.