kudos:15
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·AcroVoice
·Anveo
reply to zod5000

Re: [BC] Shaw is a rip-off

said by zod5000:

It's the same with Shaw (and Telus). The only way to get discounts is to bundle services.

Can you receive a discount for bundling internet and phone with Shaw? According to their site it looks like $50+$35 for the most basic internet and phone. I looked at the bundles but they seem to all include TV.

Telus is $30-$5+$52-$5, and their internet is up to 15Mbit down and 1Mbit up, compared to Shaw's 10Mbit/0.5Mbit.

martinsnort

@shawcable.net
said by Mango:

said by zod5000:

It's the same with Shaw (and Telus). The only way to get discounts is to bundle services.

Can you receive a discount for bundling internet and phone with Shaw? According to their site it looks like $50+$35 for the most basic internet and phone. I looked at the bundles but they seem to all include TV.

Telus is $30-$5+$52-$5, and their internet is up to 15Mbit down and 1Mbit up, compared to Shaw's 10Mbit/0.5Mbit.

You would get a $10.00 bundle discount for the Basic Phone, but there is no bundled rate for the Internet portion. So, it would be $50.00 (High Speed 10) + $24.95 (Basic Phone).

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:15
Thanks!

Kane Hart

join:2012-11-17
reply to Cartel
trade you rogers...

Mindman

join:2012-12-10
Merritt, BC
reply to Cartel
Im not to sure about shaw but. in my area telus is the best for uptime... our work has shaw and it has downtime issues and slow sometimes... all my buddys that had shaw had to switch to telus due to lag/downtime in my area.. but thats only my area and its a small city.

ps3iscool

join:2012-12-27
reply to Cartel
How else do you expect the CEO to afford his luxury house and cars? If we didn't pay 50Bucks but it actually costs like 5$ or 10$ - with customer service LOL. MAYBE 25$

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB
reply to Mindman
said by Mindman:

Im not to sure about shaw but. in my area telus is the best for uptime... our work has shaw and it has downtime issues and slow sometimes... all my buddys that had shaw had to switch to telus due to lag/downtime in my area.. but thats only my area and its a small city.

I could show you graphs of bonded T1 and fiber circuits with 2-3 days of downtime a month. Thankfully mostly during the early morning, unfortunately some sites do remote backups during that time period. It's a hit and miss with either Shaw or Telus. In the central AB area, Shaw's performance and service is far superior. Saying that because I've truly dealt with both providers on a residential and biz side.

TierX

join:2009-01-20
Canada
kudos:8
reply to ilianame
said by ilianame:

OFC before that's possible, the last mile needs to be taken back,
the content provider's geo-loction restrictions would have to be demolished, and on top of that - the most important thing:

CONSUMER'S HAVE TO BECOME AWARE OF THE REAL NEGLIGIBLE COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH ALL OF THE ABOVE SERVICES.

ROFL

I find it funny how much people hugely underestimate FTTH deployment costs. It isn't in the hundreds of millions folks, it's literally f**king billions of dollars for Alberta and BC alone. Neither Shaw or TELUS is going to undertake such a thing; at least without significant cash infusion from the government.

ilianame

join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC
kudos:2

1 recommendation

$4k per household

Telus Forum: "http://www.dslreports.com/forum/telus"

They need your help, we actually have Shaw reps here

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 edit
reply to TierX
There was one research company in the US that said it would be around $140 billion to get every house in the US on fiber.

Probably about the same here because people are spread a little further apart and there is much more land to cover, but less homes.

I'll find the study when I get back from dinner, blah, for the people who care, they can Google it.

--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

TierX

join:2009-01-20
Canada
kudos:8
reply to ilianame
said by ilianame:

$4k per household

It's actually about 1/2 that now, for each home past, and another $1k per home connected. Still silly expensive though.

Baud1200

join:2003-02-10
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 edit
reply to Cartel
said by TierX:

... it's literally f**king billions of dollars for Alberta and BC alone. Neither Shaw or TELUS is going to undertake such a thing; at least without significant cash infusion from the government.

And the gov lobbyists get them to pay it because they know that it will give them the proverbial "finger in the pie" as to the control and legal oversight of it. Remember the Gov doesn't do anything that they can't benefit from, the basic "never let a good opportunity go to waste" falls in here. This leaves us with half of the issues we have now with proposed legislation's telling us what we can and can't do. Chronie Capitalism folks.... it works real well for the companies that buddy up to the gov. lobbyists. The customer then proceeds to get tooled around by both with them backing up each others legislation's and rules. Get used to it unless we can wake up enough people to turn things around.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB
said by Baud1200:

said by TierX:

... it's literally f**king billions of dollars for Alberta and BC alone. Neither Shaw or TELUS is going to undertake such a thing; at least without significant cash infusion from the government.

And the gov lobbyists get them to pay it because they know that it will give them the proverbial "finger in the pie" as to the control and legal oversight of it. Remember the Gov doesn't do anything that they can't benefit from, the basic "never let a good opportunity go to waste" falls in here. This leaves us with half of the issues we have now with proposed legislation's telling us what we can and can't do. Chronie Capitalism folks.... it works real well for the companies that buddy up to the gov. lobbyists. The customer then proceeds to get tooled around by both with them backing up each others legislation's and rules. Get used to it unless we can wake up enough people to turn things around.

What?