spc
Search similar:

uniqs

TheMAN888
@mpionbroadband.com

TheMAN888

Anon

Motorola DCX3400-M vs. DCX3510?

A friend of mine is constantly running out of DVR space on his DCX3400 (320 GB) and is looking to get a model with a 500 GB drive. The DCX3400-M and DCX3510-M are the options available. The DCX3400-M seems to be better built, have a solid top and touch buttons on the front, while the DCX3510-M is very light, has top vents, and lacks the extra buttons. I'm beginning to think the DCX3510-M was created to offer a cheaper solution for operators but is there any reason to choose it over the DCX3400-M?

Anyone have any experience with either or both of these models?
Gemutlich
join:2012-06-14

4 edits

Gemutlich

I can't speak for the 3400-M, but the 3510-M works fine. Mine has a Seagate 500GB drive in it. Like you mentioned, it is smaller and lighter; has a vent grill on top, since there is no fan. The unit is very quiet. The 3510-M also has an inline power adapter built into the center of the power cord that measures about 6x1x3 in. It's flat so it just sits on the shelf 3 feet or so from the STB.

The "M" units use Navigator, so you can only see a week ahead. I believe the regular 3400 uses the iguide. As for buttons, the 3510-M has a power button (which can also be used for a reboot without unplugging). I haven't missed any other buttons.

Whether or not you can get the M version is kind of up to the particular customer center you go to. Some places may not give one out if you don't have whole house DVR system, since that is what the "M" addresses. However, I went to the main center in a metro area, and they had no qualms about giving it to me, even though I don't need the "M" service. If your usual center doesn't give you one, then you might try going to the main location.