dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
connor79
join:2011-11-02

connor79

[Voip.ms] Port from voip.ms to cell / Fido?

A year or so ago I changed providers, so I ported my awesome cell # to voip.ms to hold onto it as I was forced to change numbers. WAs looking at signing up with Fido here in Canada and was curious if I'm able to port from voip.ms to Fido? If not what options would I have? I figure worst case I could port to a business land line but kind of a pain and expensive to have to deal with that, anyone have any idea?

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

Porting from anywhere to anywhere should be no problem as long as they support your rate centre. I can't see Fido having a problem especially if it was a mobile number to begin with.
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx to connor79

Premium Member

to connor79
If Fido supports the rate center the number belongs to I don't see why not.
connor79

connor79

Okay thanks, was only wondering because when I signed up with Wind mobile before, we tried to port and when you do it online, it says Port number yes or no, and you pick yes and then a drop down appears, and literally had Bell, Telus, Fido, Videotron etc like was just maybe 8 options. So wasn't sure if it was more that I'd get to the store to sign up and they'd be like what is this we can't port from here etc.

wcweaver
Premium Member
join:2002-02-22
Fort Myers, FL

wcweaver to Trev

Premium Member

to Trev
said by Trev:

Porting from anywhere to anywhere should be no problem as long as they support your rate centre. I can't see Fido having a problem especially if it was a mobile number to begin with.

I wish that was true. Comcast Digital Voice has about a dozen companies they will port from. If your provider is not on that list, you are out of luck.

I am with Callcentric and wanted to port my home number to Comcast to save money with their Triple Play Package ( not because of the Callcentric problems).

Can't be done, as Callcentric is not on the list. MajicJack is though, beleive it or not.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by wcweaver:

said by Trev:

Porting from anywhere to anywhere should be no problem as long as they support your rate centre.

I wish that was true. Comcast Digital Voice has about a dozen companies they will port from. If your provider is not on that list, you are out of luck.

The magic words are as Trev said, "as long as they support your rate centre".

Han Solo: "What is it? Some kind of local trouble?"

Obi-Wan: "Let's just say we'd like to avoid any Imperial entanglements."

Han: "Well, that's the trick, isn't it?"

As it happens, the OP is in Toronto, and almost certainly should be able to port from Voip.MS to the mobile carrier Fido.

Fido's website drop-down list is only going to list major competitors, not multiple VoIP providers. So the OP may have to call Fido or go to a Fido store in person, to do the port.

[Why the Canadians have a mobile provider named after a dog is puzzling. If Fido ever sold Dish service that would get even weirder (Fido's Dish)].
said by wcweaver:

IIRC your situation is the result of a rather unusual combination events, relating to which CLECs serve your rate center, and as I recall (I might be wrong) CallCentric managed to get a number that is in your LATA even though not in the local rate center. Again IIRC, Anveo was not able to port your original number at all.

But sad to say, I think your situation was a little unusual. One might compare it to the fact that the Isle of Man, although associated with the United Kingdom, is not part of the European Union....
connor79

connor79

Thanks all. It was the Wind Mobile site that had the drop down thing not Fido. I was thinking more that I'd go to a store and that a representative there wouldn't know what voip.ms was and wouldn't want to etc. The number I have was originally a Telus Mobility number, ported it to voip.ms and is a Toronto one 416-999 is the NPA-NXX.