share rss forum feed

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath

[Bus. Ops] Tower Space

There is a small tower (below 250') in an area that I would like to service - just out of reach of both DSL and cable. The tower is owned by a farm market.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions on how to negotiate the use of the tower and do you suggest free HSI to the market or $$? What do you guys do?

Expand your moderator at work

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to Anon

Re: [Bus. Ops] Tower Space

And what is wrong with WiMax at 3.6?

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to TBBroadband

Also thanks for the advice.

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1

"As recently announced, Traxler Business Solutions, is currently constructing a state-of-the-art 4G WiMax network throughout the Greater NorthWest Ohio and Central Ohio regions. Our network will be able to offer speeds well over 100Mbps in both directions, giving customers the speeds they need and want, not only today, but well in the future."

With the bankroll that type of equipment requires and the physical footprint required for that type of equipment on a tower, you can afford to and should pay bank for the tower space.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH

The bank roll? 3.65 equipment is NOT expensive. $200-300 per AP is not that costly. And doesn't require that much of a footprint.

And I apologize for taking it the wrong way.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2

What equipment is that?

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
reply to TBBroadband

100meg full duplex for $200-$300? What planet do you live on?

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to Inssomniak

I'm using UNBT. And other vendors as well.

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
reply to TBBroadband

So what we have here is your website is deliberately deceptive and you aren't the huge business you make yourself out to be?

There is NO ptmp UBNT gear that I'm aware of that can come anywhere remotely close to 100meg full duplex speeds.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to wirelessdog

did not say full duplex. also did not state that 100meg would def be available. Thanks for putting words in my mouth. And again, thanks for your advise.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON
reply to TBBroadband

said by TBBroadband:

I'm using UNBT.

But you advertise it as WiMax?

Ubnt 3.65 is NOT Wimax, and is definately not 4g. And definitely not 100 megs full duplex.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to Anon

»www.ubnt.com/airmax#rocketm

read the bottom.

And i'm done. Thanks again.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON

said by TBBroadband:

»www.ubnt.com/airmax#rocketm

read the bottom.

And i'm done. Thanks again.

Dude....

That assumes a 40 mhz channel, aggregate, (75 megs each way). Ubnt 3.65 is only certified for 25mhz. So there you have to cut off almost half of the very optimistic 150mbps aggregate speed they post on their site. Then throw in noise, F1 blockage, etc etc you can see where Im going.

But then again, you might never read this..
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

treichhart

join:2006-12-12
reply to TBBroadband

He told me via PM he would be Arc Wireless also: SplitStations FreeStations (both 5.8) Flex mARC (2.4- limited) but they also close to 95 meg setup just like Ubnt setup. If you want to push over 100meg your going need to look at Ubnt Ti but there Ti stuff is very limited to rockets...

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

1 recommendation

reply to TBBroadband

Here's the deal, and please listen. This is me being 100% honest with you about some serious issues you are facing here.

First: You are saying you will be offering WiMax, 4G, and 100meg, but the equipment you claim you will be using are none of those. If you advertise something you simply can't deliver and say you are using technologies you simply aren't, it not only will give your business a bad name, but it also gives every other WISP across the country (and beyond) a bad name. I deal with potential customers at trade shows who refuse to sign up for my service because they used another WISP where they used to live, and the service was horrible. They won't even give me a shot anymore because they assume my service will be just as bad. Not only are you hurting yourself, you're hurting the very people who you have come on this forum and asked for FREE help from.

Second: You are thinking way to big for your knowledge level. You're talking about caching appliances when you have virtually no need to think about it for years (if ever). You are talking about 100-megabit speeds - do you have anyway to backhaul and deliver those speeds? That's an entirely different ballgame from using cheap unlicensed equipment. Third, you're giving off the impression that you're a huge company, when you clearly aren't. There's a difference between being professional, and being something you're not. If you're going to be big, be big (it won't be cheap, and you shouldn't expect to cheat people out of fair tower rent, etc). If you are small, be small. You can still give off a professional image without the impression you are a mega-corporation. Plus you can usually barter things like cheap rent if people know you're not making millions of dollars.

Last (and most important): You're coming onto a forum filled with professionals who run their own WISP's, tirelessly, day in and day out, usually for much less pay than they could get working a desk job, and are typically left with little to no life outside their job. Yet they volunteer their time to come on here and give out free advice to help others out who are trying to get started, or who are running into issues with their own WISP. If you see overwhelming backlash against what someone is trying to do (like yourself) there's usually a good reason for it. Like I already mentioned, if you over promise and under deliver, you're not only shooting yourself in the foot, but also hurting every other business you are representing. In addition, you turned on those who are trying to prevent yourself and your potential customers from making a big mistake. You will quickly run out of resources that will provide the kind of free, professional support that you desire if you bite the hands that feed you.

I'm not trying to tell you to "go away". On the contrary. I'm begging you to reconsider your business plan and offer a service that will reflect professionally on yourself and every other WISP. And above all, take the criticisms for what they are: Good advice. If you change your attitude, I'm sure your reputation in this forum can still be salvaged. If you don't, well, I can't imagine anyone will be willing to help you much longer.

Sincerely,
Joe

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath

If 3.65 isn't WiMax then why is it listed as such: »www.google.com/search?q=wimax+3.65ghz ??? So according to equipment manufacturers, yes it would be WiMax. It's unlicensed WiMax at that. It's something that many WiSPs are now using, especially in the Midwest region to overcome the 2.4 and 5.8 issues with how crowded they have become.

2nd- I have been around before, and actually had another account on here until I changed names and deleted the former account. I've built an WiSP before but it was on 2.4 using YDI (was back in early 2002/3 around the time of the East Coast Blackout). I only exited the business/industry at that time due to becoming ill.

3rd- How am I giving off the impression I'm a mega-corp/use? Because of the plans that I have? Well as the saying goes- Go big/plan big or go home. To me there is no reason on why I can't have a plan and put it out to the public. And I'm not hiding how big I am. No where do I state that I'm a mega corp or anything. I even mention on the website that the number listed is a Google Voice number, no massive company is going to use a GV number. My backhaul is being planned currently and I'm working with several network engineers along with obtaining other frequencies for the backhaul. I also have a 1gig connection to the Internet. I'm also not trying nor plan on trying to cheat people out of tower rent, so I'm not sure how you managed to obtain that information, it was never implied nor mentioned. I simply asked a question especially since I posted before I was a very small company. Which you can find that on the post I made about caching.

Lastly- I know that you guys are on here to help, as I've said, I've been on here for more than 7 years and used another name. I was even on this site and on this section when Kory from VA was on here building out his hotspot network using Sputnik.

If I came across the wrong way I apologize, but as I have said, I have done my research before, and have been again. I've also been following what's going on and what I can and can not do.

Kyle

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

said by TBBroadband:

If 3.65 isn't WiMax then why is it listed as such...

Huh? Just cuz WiMax often uses 3.65GHz, does not make all 3.65GHz products WiMax. WiMax is a technology, not a frequency and Ubiquiti does not make WiMax.
said by TBBroadband:

...It's unlicensed WiMax at that.

Huh? Unlicensed in what way? Are you saying Ubiquiti is stealing the technology and not licensing it?
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
reply to TBBroadband

Wow unlicensed and 3.65 in the same sentence.

Time to go back to school kiddo

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to LLigetfa

did not say that. I said it's unlicensed as far as not the same as a 2.5 network that Clear uses. And are you implying I said something I didn't?

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to wirelessdog

3.65 is basically unlicensed. $210 will net you a "license" to use 3.65 but it's not totally a licensed product. And according to the FCC and their documents, mobile base stations are fully 100% unlicensed and do not have to be filed with them. Only fixed base stations. So one could say its a semi-licensed product.

But I'm not arguing being licensed or not. I simply asked a question and showed proof on how I got that 3.65 was Wimax- and WiMax is considered a 4g product.

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

said by TBBroadband:

I simply asked a question and showed proof on how I got that 3.65 was Wimax...

You have proven nothing. All you prove is how you may have been misled to thinking it was so.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

Jerm

join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA

1 edit
reply to TBBroadband

First off TBus sorry for the attacks on here. This forum can come off as unwelcoming as they have seen their fair share of failures and "up to 54mbps" WISPs in the past with clueless people at the helm.

Well this doesn't excuse their behavior, these guys *do* know their stuff and you get some of the best doublecheck advice that way...

Back OT:
Plenty of guys on here have sweet tower deals where they just exchange service for rent. Really it just depends. I remember a recent thread of one guy getting pretty much a new bandwidth source paid for by a client with a tower and made out like a bandit.

I guess the real moral of the story here is YMMV. It can work, just be aware of the pitfalls: If they decide to use someone else for bandwidth, are you just going to lose the tower? What then? ETC...