CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

F1 Silly Season officially begins...

Infiniti becomes title sponsor for RBR - name now Infinity Red Bull Racing:

»uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/form···094.html

quote:
Japanese car manufacturer Infiniti is to increase its Formula 1 involvement with Red Bull next year after agreeing to become title sponsor of the team.
Can't find the story but reportedly Button thinks his title chances are better after Hamilton leaves team - well DUH. One less driver to compete with for the championship - of course it will make the top 3 teams chances better.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

HRT is out:
»uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/hrt-···337.html

quote:
The HRT Formula 1 team looks set to officially close down after failing to find a buyer before the FIA's deadline for 2013 entries on Friday.

The squad was absent from the 22-car entry list published by the governing body on Saturday.

HRT had been put up for sale by owner Thesan Capital just before the United States Grand Prix.

Attempts were made to find a buyer before the entry deadline. AUTOSPORT understands that Chinese company Chery Automobile among those involved in talks to save HRT.

Sources indicate that the team is now working to pay its creditors. The plan is for the team to shut down without unpaid debts.
Nice to see they want to pay their debts...
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to CylonRed

Williams defends driver lineup and practice plans for 2012:

»uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/form···366.html

quote:
Senna knew from the outset that he would have to hand his car to Bottas on most grand prix Friday mornings, but regularly argued that the loss of running was hampering his form.

The Brazilian often struggled in qualifying and was dropped at the end of the 2012 Formula 1 campaign.

He ultimately sat out 15 of the year's 20 practice one sessions for Bottas. Team-mate Pastor Maldonado in contrast ran in all sessions.

Williams's chief operations engineer Mark Gillan is sure bringing Bottas in on most Fridays was sufficiently beneficial to the team.

Asked if Senna's struggles made it hard to justify denying him practice mileage, Gillan replied: "It's a good question. It's one that we will look at in depth.
2 second pit stops:
»uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/mcla···737.html
quote:
McLaren is aiming to achieve two-second pitstop as 'standard' in the 2013 Formula 1 season.

The team set a record four-tyre-change time of 2.3 seconds on Jenson Button's car during this year's German Grand Prix.

Asked by AUTOSPORT if pitstop times were now near the limit of physical possibility, McLaren sporting director Sam Michael replied: "They are, but it's not hard enough at this point that we can't see a lot of things to change.

"We'll be really busy this winter taking the next step along that idea.
They did 2.4 near the end of the season....
--
Brian

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1

I remember Hobbs and Machete where shocked when they did that!

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to CylonRed

Haug to leave Mercedes motorsports division...

»uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/form···973.html

quote:
Haug played a key role in Mercedes' factory Formula One team signing Lewis Hamilton to partner Nico Rosberg in 2013.

He was also a vice-president of Daimler AG.

A team statement said: "His contract will come to an end by mutual agreement with the Board of Management.

"Preparations for the forthcoming season continue as planned."

Haug, who turned 60 last month, hinted that the team's poor performance since returning to the top flight of racing was behind the decision.
--
Brian

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

Grojean stays with Lotus:

»uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/form···945.html

quote:
The confirmation came a day after Grosjean won the Race of Champions event in Bangkok, beating Red Bull's triple champion Sebastian Vettel and seven-times world champion Michael Schumacher along the way.

"Romain is a great talent and we are pleased that he is continuing with us for a second season," said team principal Eric Boullier in a statement.
Williams chief engineer leaves:
»uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/mark···469.html

quote:
Mark Gillan, one of the architects of Williams's 2012 revival, has left the team.

Gillan had joined Williams during its troubled 2011 Formula 1 campaign and was appointed as its chief operations engineer during its technical reshuffle.

The team confirmed to AUTOSPORT that Gillan had vacated his role to "spend more time with his family".
--
Brian

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

Max Chilton to Marussia:
»uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/form···167.html

quote:
Max Chilton will be Britain's fourth man on the Formula One starting grid next season after back-markers Marussia said the 21-year-old would make his race debut with them in Australia in March.

Kamui gives up on 2013:
»uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/form···907.html

quote:
Kamui Kobayashi has conceded his chances of landing a seat in Formula One for next season are over.

Sutil looking at Force India ride:
»www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20753013
quote:
Adrian Sutil believes he has "done the maximum" to secure a return to Formula 1 with Force India for 2013, saying the decision is now up to team boss Vijay Mallya.

The German was dropped by the team for 2012 but tells BBC Radio 5 live's Jennie Gow all his problems relating to his conviction for causing grievous bodily harm have been "solved" and insists there is "no problem" for him to travel the world once again.
--
Brian

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to CylonRed

Mercedes 2014 engine news...
»uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/merc···712.html

quote:
Mercedes-Benz has unveiled the first images of the 2014 Formula 1 power unit that it believes will put the 'motor back in motorsport'.

As dyno testing of its new V6 1.6-litre turbo charged unit continues at its Brixworth facility, Mercedes says early indications from its work are pointing towards an exciting era for grand prix racing once the 2014 rules come into force.

Andy Cowell, managing director of Mercedes-Benz High Performance Engines, dismissed fears that the new power units would not deliver as exciting a sound as the current V8 engines, and predicted thrills for fans and challenges for drivers.

"The engines are going to be loud, but I think sweet sounding," he said on Friday. "The frequency will be higher and, with the turbocharger running at 125,000rpm, they will be loud. When you are stood next to it on the dyno it is not quiet and you need ear defenders.
125,000 rpm for the TURBO - holy crap...
--
Brian

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..

said by CylonRed:

Mercedes 2014 engine news...
»uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/merc···712.html

quote:
"The engines are going to be loud, but I think sweet sounding," he said on Friday. "The frequency will be higher and, with the turbocharger running at 125,000rpm, they will be loud. When you are stood next to it on the dyno it is not quiet and you need ear defenders.
125,000 rpm for the TURBO - holy crap...

Holy crap is right about the Turbo. Wow, 125,000 RPM. I wonder what the life of the turbocharger would be if it was left untouched until failure.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to CylonRed

that turbo is spinning many many times faster than a jet engine.

I wonder how much power that V6 will make,

I am guessing though with that 125k rpm turbo it has some serious boost. I wonder if they will state how much PSI they are pushing or if that will be kept hidden.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to CylonRed

Glock gone from Marussia:
»uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/form···531.html

quote:
They added that a replacement would be announced in due course. The team's other driver is British newcomer Max Chilton.

"The ongoing challenges facing the industry mean that we have had to take steps to secure our long-term future. Tough economic conditions prevail and the commercial landscape is difficult for everyone, Formula One teams included," said principal John Booth in a statement.
Toto Wolff leaves Williams for Mercedes
»uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/toto···739.html
quote:
Toto Wolff is set to take a senior role in the management of Mercedes-Benz's motorsport activities, senior sources close the German car manufacturer have revealed to AUTOSPORT.

The Austrian, an executive director and shareholder of the Williams team but also a co-owner of the HWA company that runs Mercedes-Benz's DTM programme, is poised to take on a host of responsibilities that were controlled by former motorsport boss Norbert Haug, who quit last year.
Continued rumors of Force India money problems:
»uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/forc···201.html

quote:
Force India has rubbished suggestions that it faces an uncertain future following rumours of severe financial problems.

Deputy team boss Bob Fernley told AUTOSPORT that reports suggesting the squad was in trouble were untrue.

"There is absolutely no substance to it," he said.

Team owner Vijay Mallya's airline Kingfisher has been struggling financially, failing to generate a profit since its launch in 2005. Late last year it was forced to ground its fleet.
--
Brian

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

Kubica not ready for F1 but is racing:
»uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/kubi···692.html

quote:
Robert Kubica is not yet physically ready to test a Formula 1 car, according to Mercedes boss Toto Wolff, whose company is giving Kubica a DTM run this week.

Kubica has already returned to competitive action in rallying and is currently expected to mount a European Rally Championship title bid this year with Ford or Citroen machinery.

But he also remains interested in circuit racing and will test a Mercedes DTM car at Valencia on Friday, as revealed by AUTOSPORT last week.
Glock gets test with DTM:
»uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/form···501.html
quote:
"I have fond memories of my time with BMW Motorsport and am very excited about testing the BMW M3 DTM," the German said in a statement on the BMW website.

"Furthermore, I am bound to see a few familiar faces in Valencia from my previous time with BMW. I am really looking forward to it."

BMW motorsport director Jens Marquardt worked with Glock, who started out as a teenager in Formula BMW and was BMW-Sauber's Formula One test driver in 2007, at the Toyota F1 team until the end of 2009.
Brawn on the way out???
»uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/wolf···148.html

quote:
Mercedes' new motorsport chief Toto Wolff has given Ross Brawn his backing despite reports that the Briton is set to be ousted from his role as its Formula 1 team principal.

According to a BBC report, Mercedes is planning to remove Brawn in favour of a new structure led by Wolff and current McLaren technical director Paddy Lowe.

But Wolff said he had no knowledge of such a plan and wanted Brawn to remain in place.

"I can see the speculation that is coming up, but I think I would be aware of that [if it was going to happen]," Wolff said during a media teleconference.
--
Brian

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

The cash crisis in F1:
»uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/wil···688.html

quote:
The Marussia team’s decision to drop Timo Glock for commercial reasons this week highlighted the financial challenges some teams are currently facing – but there may be an answer to the potential cash crisis.

In 2010, F1 lured in three new teams – Lotus (now Caterham), Virgin (now Marussia) and Campos Meta (which became the now defunct HRT) – with a promise of price-capped racing that never happened. Costs have continued to spiral ever since.
--
Brian

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to CylonRed

The cars look a LOT better this year than last...

Force India:
»uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/form···674.html

McLaren:
»uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/video/mcl···445.html

Ferrari:
»uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/wor···028.html
--
Brian

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

RedBull car:
»uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/form···561.html

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

Some information on the first day of testing in Jerez:

»uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/form···289.html
--
Brian

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to CylonRed

Sutil getting a test:

»uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/indi···902.html

quote:
The 30-year-old German had a seat-fitting with the Silverstone-based squad last week, although Force India insisted at the time that it was only a 'possibility' that he would form part of the line-up in Spain.

On Monday, the team announced that Sutil will get behind the wheel of the VJM06 on Thursday, the third day of the test.

Confirmed 2013 racer Paul di Resta will conduct driving duties on Tuesday and Wednesday while last year's tester Bianchi will take over from Sutil on Friday.
--
Brian

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to CylonRed

said by CylonRed:

The cash crisis in F1:
»uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/wil···688.html

quote:
The Marussia team’s decision to drop Timo Glock for commercial reasons this week highlighted the financial challenges some teams are currently facing – but there may be an answer to the potential cash crisis.

In 2010, F1 lured in three new teams – Lotus (now Caterham), Virgin (now Marussia) and Campos Meta (which became the now defunct HRT) – with a promise of price-capped racing that never happened. Costs have continued to spiral ever since.

How does F1 Merchandising compare to that of NASCAR? NASCAR does not seem to have much in the way of press worthy huge money issues(though its cars compared to F1 are like comparing a P51D to an F22 raptor.) But I am guessing NASCAR has exploited its brand better in what it sells off the track.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH

I think it's a question of degrees. NASCAR has money issues, but it doesn't cost anywhere near the same to develop and build a NASCAR car as it does to build one in F1. I heard a stat a year or two ago that what Ferrari spends to put one car on the grid is enough to build the entire 43 car NASCAR field. That seems a little extreme to me, but I think it's fair to say that the money needed to race in F1 dwarfs that of NASCAR.

I don't follow NASCAR that closely, but I think every car that starts a race gets some prize money each time. In F1, I think the teams only get prize money at the end of the year based on points scored. No points equals no money. Whoever wins Australia in two weeks won't collect a check from Bernie for doing so. When Jimmie Johnson won Daytona, I'm pretty sure both the team and the driver got a big payday.
--
Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to Kearnstd

F1 has pretty good marketing but realize the biggest markets for F1 are in Europe. The infield of a F1 race does have a lot of trailers for merch but there are far less teams so it does not look as impressive. The trailers they use ARE impressive - most you can walk thru and it usually shows some amount of team history. The merch side is not quite in your face as NASCAR or even NHRA.

I think F1 has race purses - closely guarded in the Concorde agreement though. The end all - be all are the manufacturers points at the end of the season. Those points determine how much each team gets at the end of the season.
--
Brian

ThirdShifter
Premium
join:2002-03-16
Bronx, NY

said by CylonRed:

I think F1 has race purses - closely guarded in the Concorde agreement though. The end all - be all are the manufacturers points at the end of the season. Those points determine how much each team gets at the end of the season.

There is no cash prize awarded to teams or drivers from winning races.

However, you right about how money is distributed in f1 from the (TV rights, venue rights & trademarks etc.) - Commercial rights.

Currently 60% of this goes back to the teams, based on 3 tiers. with ferrari getting 2.5% on top of whatever standing they place. Which is being renegotiated for the 2013 agreement

Much like the English premier league and to an extent like the champions league, where each team gets paid to show up. Also, egardless of position and team relegated or promoted gets special grants for the adjustment periods.

Here is a post from someone that might have the insider know to it.
»www.quora.com/Formula-1-1/Is-the···how-much
Expand your moderator at work