spc
uniqs

MooJohn
join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA

MooJohn to St0ney

to St0ney

Re: which car to get?

Test drive a used CL65 that's in your price range, just to do it. It's a $190k car so it has the luxury part covered. Its twin turbo v12 makes 604 horsepower and 740 torque so acceleration is covered (magazines list 11.8 @ 122 for the quarter mile). Brakes are 8-piston with massive rotors so it will stop. Like all Mercedes it's not light so it doesn't corner like a Miata but it will do anything you're willing to attempt on public roads in a car you value.

A test drive will tell you if it is or isn't what you're looking for. It's a very much Jekyll-and-Hyde, where it will commute just as comfy and quiet as you want or rip the doors off the car trying to keep you from merging. Passing on a 2-lane road will make you laugh every time.

There aren't a lot of cars out there that do either sport or luxury this well, and damn near none that can pull off both at this level. It isn't a "look at me" kind of car. Few people will realize that the standard-looking coupe next to them has 50% more torque than a Viper or hits 60 in 3.8 seconds. For some people that's exactly the kind of car they're looking for.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

sounds like a factory luxury sleeper.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

4 edits

TheTechGuru to MooJohn

to MooJohn
said by MooJohn:

Test drive a used CL65 that's in your price range, just to do it. It's a $190k car so it has the luxury part covered. Its twin turbo v12 makes 604 horsepower and 740 torque so acceleration is covered (magazines list 11.8 @ 122 for the quarter mile). Brakes are 8-piston with massive rotors so it will stop. Like all Mercedes it's not light so it doesn't corner like a Miata but it will do anything you're willing to attempt on public roads in a car you value.

A test drive will tell you if it is or isn't what you're looking for. It's a very much Jekyll-and-Hyde, where it will commute just as comfy and quiet as you want or rip the doors off the car trying to keep you from merging. Passing on a 2-lane road will make you laugh every time.

There aren't a lot of cars out there that do either sport or luxury this well, and damn near none that can pull off both at this level. It isn't a "look at me" kind of car. Few people will realize that the standard-looking coupe next to them has 50% more torque than a Viper or hits 60 in 3.8 seconds. For some people that's exactly the kind of car they're looking for.

I was going to suggest this one too. TopGear (UK's version that is). The general consensus was "it passes better than any car they've tested, except maybe a Bugatti" "embarrassing" other cars.

If you don't mind the V12 gas usage, that is the ultimate car to get. If you get the computer reprogrammed to remove the 150mph speed limiter it can do over 200mph.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· HBcr8DP0

beats a GT500 at 12 minutes in.

Here is one for you: »www.autotrader.com/cars- ··· 11801867

St0ney
join:2001-02-25
uranus

St0ney

the only thing that concerns me about Mercedes is reliability. I have heard that there are issues with stuff breaking down quick in a mercedes.

i do like the interior tho. probly better than a mustang.

cl65 amg is nice but i still think its out of my reach, since id rather not get a 8 year old used model. my stance on sports car is not to get them used becuase for all i know the previous owners could have drag raced them at every traffic light.

also that in that vid , it is a 2008 gt500. i think the 2013 gt500 could beat it

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru

said by St0ney:

cl65 amg is nice but i still think its out of my reach, since id rather not get a 8 year old used model. my stance on sports car is not to get them used becuase for all i know the previous owners could have drag raced them at every traffic light.

While that is likly with any used Mustang, Mercedes-Benz owners are generally not like that.
said by St0ney:

also that in that vid , it is a 2008 gt500. i think the 2013 gt500 could beat it.

I doubt it.

The videos show un modded CL65's. I've heard with computer mods they can put out 1000ft lbs of torque. Then the issue becomes finding sticky enough tires for it.

Personally, for a powerful daily driver without the cost of the dealer maintenance required by Mercedes-Benz I would go for one of the HEMI V8 Dodge Charger's then add a ProCharger SuperCharger to it.

»procharger.com/hemi.shtml