spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Want2Know
@videotron.ca

Want2Know

Anon

No Show Techs. Share your Experience

How many people have have ever experienced a "No-Show-Tech"?

I have when I was with Bell on various occasions. More time than I can count on one hand (about 7 total). Be it to repair my phone (line problems) or repair outside line problems due to net dropping.

One time when I had enough of the No-Show Techs so I call Bell billing and said cancel everything and if you send me a bill i'll be in small claims court. They wanted to fix it and actually insisted after 3 no-show techs. I told them to go to hell and just cancel it all.

Next day after work I come home and find a tech waiting in my driveway. He actually sat there waiting for me with no appointment to even have a tech. Bizarre or what?

Anyhow, Many people here have experienced this. You don't have to give a story (if you don't want to), just a YAY or NAY (isp would be nice to know).

With Videotron I never had a No-Show Tech. They even call a before hand to say, we're on our way.

How about Rogers? Shaw? Telus? Sasktel?

Did you ever miss a day of work for nothing? Has Bell every told you that you *have* to be there and then they never show up? Happened to me more than once.

Share your experience.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

Had 2 Bell no-shows in a row for the same line repair. Only case I can think of where I had a no-show, but I have had both Bell and Rogers show up late. Both times the called in advance though.

I've also had a Rogers tech show up early twice.

Want2Know
@videotron.ca

Want2Know

Anon

I'm just glad I never experienced it again after leaving Bell.

Gets frustrating when you have to argue with the wife for which one is calling into work to stay home after the 5th & 6th time. Or trying to find someone to be there for a no-show Bell guy. Just like hiring a babysitter.

Never want to experience Bell service calls again.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

A Rogers tech showed up today to do my Rogers Cable TV install, and my Teksavvy install.

He showed up 1 1/2 hrs before my install window, so I didn't have either my tv or my home network up & running. I told him that as well.

First thing he said to me while walking down the hall to me was: "You're switching to Rogers Internet next month, right?" I responded "No, why would I do that." He gave me a funny look and said "Oh. OK."

He took 30 seconds to do the run to my modem, then started the run to my TV and walked away, so I had to screw in the run to the modem. He checked signal on the cable box, and left while I was busy showing the mover which bedroom to put something in. If the installer had've come on time, I would've brought up the problem with the signal. He either didn't bother to check it, or saw it was bad, and didn't care because I was on Teksavvy and wasn't going to switch to Rogers.

My cable modem signals are 10-12 dBmV which means I'm disconnecting like crazy. Right now, its every 20-30 minutes.

Got a ticket started with TSI, which they can't put in til midnight due to Rogers rules.

Worse than a no-show tech: Half-assed completed installation. Takes even longer to get another roll, because I'm obviously online, but Rogers doesn't watch it to see my connection is up & down like a yoyo.

Want2Know
@videotron.ca

Want2Know

Anon

I can see how that would be similar.

Half-assed install then someone having to take another friggin day off work to be there.

That was another Bell specialty.

And again I have to say, with Videotron the untrained techs stayed with a trainer for quite a while. When I had a cable change I had a tech in learning so I had two pair of eyes on it. One kid doing the Job, trainer explaining it and going over it all. The detail was amazing.

I once had a kid here from Bell (in my previous house) who was first week on the job. He started crying in my living room when he said the signal is good and don't know why my phone and internet disconnect. I wiggled the alligator clips on his meter and the signals jumped all over and I said the meter you're using has a broken wire (lead). Then he cried saying Bell doesn't pay for his meter and it was his cost.

What could I say? Thanked him for coming and not checking the outside wires where the problem was.

Another wasted day for me.

Trust me Resa, in between the no-show techs I had my fair share of complete incompetence and half-assed jokers that Bell sent.

When I stated I had 7 no-shows, I didn't include the 5 times they did come and fix nothing because they either didn't know how, had broken equipment, or couldn't find the problem.

One Bell guy fell asleep in my entrance where the demarc was. He spent 3 hours with the same wire in his hand sleeping against the wall. In those 3 hrs he check the single wire pair at the demarc. heh I let em sleep and didn't bother him. Wasted day anyhow.

Imagine having to go through that with a wholesaler? No way. You couldn't pay me to go through that nightmare again with Bell, forget a reseller.

Makes me wonder how many people get screwed with no fix and just can't call their reseller anymore for fear of a 100$ ding each and every time. But I would imagine the 100$ ding would generate heated fights instead of someone letting a bell tech fall asleep in their house.
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

Its quite annoying, but at least I have proof of my drops..
Running my newly updated SB6120/SB6121 Modem logger.

heh
@videotron.ca

heh

Anon

I wonder why he would make such an odd statement to you?

ah well. then I guess you have 24-48 hrs to wait for Rogers to respond to that ticket?

I read videotron techs don't check signals on wholesale modems as well before they leave. Not sure how true that is, or if they stopped this practice. Makes me wonder if this is Rogers SOP as well? Anything with a 3rd party modem they don't touch?

Must be an extra charge

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to Want2Know

Premium Member

to Want2Know
My very first time with TSI was in a condo in Markham. I ordered dryloop DSL. The Bell tech was a complete no show and no connection light on my ST516. Another roll later that tech did show and stated that nothing have previously happened to setup my connection. I guess that tech enjoyed his time doing something else while the customer got screwed and had to wait an additional 5 business days after the original install date before service was actually instated.
Tikker_LoS
join:2004-04-29
Regina, SK

Tikker_LoS to Want2Know

to Want2Know
said by Want2Know :

Did you ever miss a day of work for nothing? Has Bell every told you that you *have* to be there and then they never show up? Happened to me more than once.

Share your experience.

as a tech, I see the opposite almost daily. people who beg for better appointment times and then aren't home, or answer their cell phones. waste a lot of time somedays sitting around waiting on folks who never show up

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

I've had phantom installs done by Rogers twice - phantom install is when they close the ticket saying they hooked up the service without even entering the yard (assuming they even visited the neighborhood). Bell techs have been reliable ime.

Want2Know
@videotron.ca

Want2Know to Tikker_LoS

Anon

to Tikker_LoS
said by Tikker_LoS:

as a tech, I see the opposite almost daily.

Going by the "sk" under your nick, am I to assume these are either Telus or Sasktel service calls?
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to Want2Know

Premium Member

to Want2Know
I've had Bell & Rogers no-shows over the years.

The best however was the Bell guy who showed up to do the phone install (6 lines) right after the renovations were almost complete on my house when I moved in years ago.

I had home-run wiring installed to every phone jack location and had an extra 5' of cable for each run looped at the inside demarc because I was going to move the demarc to a slightly different location once one last wall was built in the basement. I also had wires installed for the alarm system. I told the tech about leaving the inside wires uncut, and asked him to leave an extra 6' on the trunk from outside to facilitate the re-locate later and to just connect my interior wiring to the demarc as-is.

I go away for 20 minutes and what has the tech done..... cut ALL my interior wiring (phone & alarm) off short.

I go apeshit, get Bell management involved - told them I wasn't going to accept spliced interior wiring - and a $10,000 bill later (paid by Bell) I had new wires of the proper length re-pulled through my walls and all the PLASTER walls and mouldings (3 story house) damaged as a result of this re-done.

Want2Know
@videotron.ca

Want2Know

Anon

Wow.
A no-show + a no-brain.

Too bad he just didn't go to sleep in your home like the tech did to me. Would have been cheapER for Bell.
Want2Know

Want2Know to resa1983

Anon

to resa1983
said by resa1983:

My cable modem signals are 10-12 dBmV which means I'm disconnecting like crazy. Right now, its every 20-30 minutes.

Got a ticket started ...

Worse than a no-show tech: Half-assed completed installation.

Any news on this. Been 3 days.

All fixed up now?
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by Want2Know :

said by resa1983:

Got a ticket started ...

Worse than a no-show tech: Half-assed completed installation.

Any news on this. Been 3 days.

All fixed up now?

Checked splitter while on the phone with a TSI rep, and all connections seemed tight already. Moving it stopped the disconnections, so I let it sit for a few days to see if that was the prob. No dcs since, but the run from the splitter to the modem is short (3 feet or so), so if I move the modem even a bit, the splitter moves, and can cause the problem again.

Posted a message on direct forum today asking for them to complain to Rogers about shoddy workmanship, and that I'd like a tech roll to fix it. Got 3 potential times from TSI already, hoping for them to come back with my preferred day & time. I do love TSI.

Want2Know
@videotron.ca

Want2Know

Anon

2 tech visits to do an install. That's not bad.

Would be interesting to see an ISP post some stats on tech visits per install, no-show techs, and various other stats. If they keep any stats...
TechChime
join:2012-11-17
Barrie, ON

TechChime to Want2Know

to Want2Know
Why do you guys need techs anyways? Seems really strange?

Want2Know
@videotron.ca

Want2Know

Anon

said by TechChime:

How else do you do installs?
How else do you fix external line problems?
How else do you change a drop or an entire line?
How else do the cable companies put a lock on your modem?
Why do they charge people for it?

I'm confused as to what you find strange? Care to share what it is you find strange? Maybe you never had a tech show up when you paid for it anyhow (as it applies to fibe for example). Did you ask your ISP for a 100$ refund? heh, think you will get a refund for a no-show tech?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Want2Know

MVM

to Want2Know
Many (most?) of the Bell appointments that I've had over the years were missed/skipped. None of the Videotron appointments were missed/skipped.

Want2Know
@videotron.ca

Want2Know

Anon

Yeah, Videotron tends to stand out between Bell and Rogers (and the resellers) in terms of services. It's even evident when looking at the forums here or elsewhere. Can't knock Videotron for that. But we can for B/W and cost (which I think is the most expensive in all of Canada, but that's another topic)

Makes me wonder how Shaw, Sasktel and Telus are in terms of no-shows. or in terms of how many visits it takes to get you up and running or repaired.
TechChime
join:2012-11-17
Barrie, ON

TechChime to Want2Know

to Want2Know
said by Want2Know :

said by TechChime:

How else do you do installs?
How else do you fix external line problems?
How else do you change a drop or an entire line?
How else do the cable companies put a lock on your modem?
Why do they charge people for it?

I'm confused as to what you find strange? Care to share what it is you find strange? Maybe you never had a tech show up when you paid for it anyhow (as it applies to fibe for example). Did you ask your ISP for a 100$ refund? heh, think you will get a refund for a no-show tech?

I would since I would do a charge back myself. Sorry, I should have added more information like do you have to have a tech come if you already say have rogers cable in the house and Rogers Internet? I assume I could just have it mailed to me and install it myself right?

I for one will not let some cheap contracted SOB scout my house.

Want2Know
@videotron.ca

Want2Know

Anon

said by TechChime:

I would since I would do a charge back myself. Sorry, I should have added more information like do you have to have a tech come if you already say have rogers cable in the house and Rogers Internet? I assume I could just have it mailed to me and install it myself right?

I for one will not let some cheap contracted SOB scout my house.

I'm not too sure what Rogers or videotron do, other than install a splitter in your house if you have cable TV. Or remove old cable to put in a new run to your modem, if needed. Or do another split if you have cable-phone. There are a few scenario's. Most of which could be done by a customer I guess.

So if you had an option, you would do it yourself, and only if you needed a tech would you pay for it. Don't see why that isn't an option. But it isn't.

Maybe they are scared you will put a bad or wrong splitter (which is possible), then you waste everyone's time while complaining when you have to pay. Or complain the service is bad and something is wrong. Guess it's cheaper in the end to do a one off visit instead of having headaches due to the above. Best guess.

CuriousGorge
@videotron.ca

CuriousGorge to resa1983

Anon

to resa1983
said by resa1983:

7 days later, did Rogers ever show up to fix it?

Maybe they are doing like the tech said, forcing you to go to rogers after a month
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by CuriousGorge :

said by resa1983:

7 days later, did Rogers ever show up to fix it?

Maybe they are doing like the tech said, forcing you to go to rogers after a month

lol.
My connection was stable Tues-Thurs. Friday rolls around, and I get a call from TSI, telling me "Rogers says there's no problem, because your modem has been up for 3 days now." and that Rogers closed my ticket. The TSI rep explained what I had to do to get my ticket reopened (as my signal stats still weren't all within normal range). Told him I'd do it when I got home that night.

Got home that night, to my husband saying "The internet has been up & down all afternoon." I opened the logger immediately. After a few hours of running the logger (to provide proof), I reopened my ticket with TSI (provided alll the info again because Rogers was being stupid), and gave potential roll days.

Continued to run the log for my modem all weekend... My modem saw 1 channel's signal spiking badly, which made my modem lose channel bonding, which then caused the modem reboot. Every 30 minutes. Sometime yesterday afternoon, my connection stabilized for a few hours, so I updated my Direct Forum ticket with an updated logger file, and the note that I still need a rollout, despite the fact that I've been stable for 5 hrs, as it'll probably just start again.

I guess TSI forwarded my logger file to Rogers, as despite having a 'stable' connection, they've scheduled me a rollout for tomorrow.

This is what I saw for charting for my logger:
»dl.dropbox.com/u/9038867 ··· tats.png

The up & down lines are RF spikes and modem reboots. Its been a fun weekend.. Oh well. Looks like I'm taking part of tomorrow off to deal with the Rogers tech they roll.

Want2Know
@videotron.ca

Want2Know

Anon

You are kidding me. Rogers cancelled the tech visit because it was stable to them mainly because you did your best not to wiggle the wire which caused the disconnects? 3 days pass of unstable internet. This right so far?

Then TSI couldn't or wouldn't open/re-open another ticket for you unless you provided proof? Or they saw no reason to w/o proof as their hands may be tied. Not sure.

Then you had to provide proof by logging your connection stats.

Then tomorrow, the 8th day, Rogers is supposed to come by and fix it and you need to take more time off for them.

All this because the install, which *is* included in your costs, was not performed properly by Rogers (not to mention Rogers blew you off after 3 days).

Do you think there should be a mechanism for a charge-back?
jibby
join:2008-03-31

jibby to Want2Know

to Want2Know
i had my Bell line (home phone and DSL) short out, no dialtone no nothing

3 full weeks of every day Bell either no-showing or sending the wrong techs (needed a 'riser team', on the rare occasion when techs did show up, they'd take one look and say 'you need a riser team' and then leave

next day (if they showed up) it would be another tech saying the same thing

one day of the 3 weeks was a holiday but Bell insisted they'd be sending someone out and told me to stay home

they never showed, i called and was told 'its a holiday, of course we're not going to come out today!'

after 3 weeks i told Bell to shove it, but they insisted i still pay for the month even though i didn't have service and they were too incompetent to restore it

after fighting with them for hours over that month, eventually i gave up since my time was worth more than the months fees

got a $200 disconnection fee for cancelling (customer for 7+ years but somehow my contract renewed itself when i had line trouble a few months before, how strange!)

had a $200 deposit that they sent 2 cheques for (their mistake) and then sent me to a collection agency for the extra $200 without ever contacting me to ask for it back

i learned that Bell is a very competent company who is definitely not borderline criminal

Want2Know
@videotron.ca

Want2Know

Anon

LOL The collection agency scam is a good one!

While all this was going on, did they insist that you have to be there for their no-show techs or incompetent techs like they told me? Just curious about this.
jibby
join:2008-03-31

jibby

of course they did! for 3 weeks straight! lol

at least i can look back on it and laugh now, but i still can't believe a company that incompetent is still as successful as it is

especially fun is when i get a telemarketer for Bell and tell them the story and watch them squirm trying to bring me back to that mess
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

resa1983 to Want2Know

Premium Member

to Want2Know
said by Want2Know :

You are kidding me. Rogers cancelled the tech visit because it was stable to them mainly because you did your best not to wiggle the wire which caused the disconnects? 3 days pass of unstable internet. This right so far?

Then TSI couldn't or wouldn't open/re-open another ticket for you unless you provided proof? Or they saw no reason to w/o proof as their hands may be tied. Not sure.

Then you had to provide proof by logging your connection stats.

Then tomorrow, the 8th day, Rogers is supposed to come by and fix it and you need to take more time off for them.

All this because the install, which *is* included in your costs, was not performed properly by Rogers (not to mention Rogers blew you off after 3 days).

Do you think there should be a mechanism for a charge-back?

Its either TSI get all the updated info up front again, or Rogers comes back asking for the info again, and my tech roll would be delayed an additional 2 days for a Rogers response.

As for proof.. They ask for signal stats around the time of the problem... I had already been logging my stats when I noticed the problems, so providing that was just simpler. As well, provides proof for when Rogers would inevitably say "But your modem's fine right now... You've been up 6 hours." TSI could respond "But look at her modem & its stats from over the weekend, it was down every 30 minutes for a reboot. Something's seriously wrong. We need a roll."

Also, I don't *have* to take time off for the Rogers visit, as hubby works nights on weekends (and he'll be home with the kiddo), but I'd prefer to be there, to make sure things actually get fixed properly. I'm thinking theres something wrong with the run, instead of wrong with the splitter because of these massive signal spikes.

Not to mention I'd planned to just go into work late, but the boss just told me to take the entire day off as he had no work for me, and was getting depressed watching me surf websites all day.

Memories
@videotron.ca

1 recommendation

Memories to jibby

Anon

to jibby
said by jibby:

especially fun is when i get a telemarketer for Bell and tell them the story and watch them squirm trying to bring me back to that mess

I don't give them the time of day. Besides they only bother calling me once a year. Every year it's the same conversation.

Me: Not interested, why don't you and Bell go F yourselves and just stop calling me?

Bell Rep: Sir, that is rude. How dare you speak to people like that.

Me: I can speak to you any way I want. You're the Ftard calling me trying to help Bell steal more of my money than they already did.

Usually they just hang up the phone or even thank me before hanging up. But once one guy wanted to stay on and have fun and I got the BS about how they aren't the same company anymore, how they are bettER, and changed and learned now. So after the guy wasted 20-minutes I offered to let them install their crap to my home but said it will require a contract that you pay me 300$/month to have to deal with the crap Bell dishes out. Then that guy started swearing. Was quite funny. Wish I recorded it. "YOU WASTED MY TIME blah blah blah". heh