spc
Search similar:

uniqs

waldoooo
join:2001-12-15
Fountain Valley, CA

waldoooo

Oregon...now what

when Stanford beat UCLA yesterday they finished the season with the same Pac-12 North record as Oregon, since they beat Oregon the Pac-12 championship game next week will be Stanford vs. UCLA

Will the fact that Oregon will not be the Pac-12 Champion lower their ranking and keep them from playing in the BCS 3rd vs. 4th bowl? (not even sure which Bowl that is with the new system)

bruin23
Premium Member
join:2004-06-17
San Francisco, CA

bruin23

Premium Member

There is no 3rd vs. 4th bowl. Oregon will most likely be an at-large pick for a BCS bowl other than the Rose Bowl, since the winner of next week's Pac-12 championship will play there.

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude to waldoooo

Premium Member

to waldoooo
said by waldoooo:

BCS 3rd vs. 4th bowl? (not even sure which Bowl that is with the new system)

The new system doesn't start for two more seasons. This year and next we get random bowl placements designed to sell tickets instead of determining champions.

f0rtys3ven
join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

Just another Runner up Oregon team.

I just assume this is how they will end up.

They have yet to finish in the championship in the last 5 seasons of OMG offense and pretty jerseys. They can't seem to put the whole season together. They need some of the Saban luck.

dogma
XYZ
Premium Member
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV

dogma to waldoooo

Premium Member

to waldoooo
The BCS is, and has always been meaningless.

Oregon will play in the Fiesta vs. Kansas State
Florida will play OU in the Sugar
Florida St. will play Louisville in the Orange
Nebraska (because Ohio St. is ineligible) will play the UCLA/Stanford winner in the Rose.

If Alabama or Georgia beat ND by some huge margin (like more than 26 points), the BCS will yet crown another useless one-loss Champion. There will likely be 2 other teams that finish with one loss, both of which will claim their records better than the "so-called' champion.

ND has beaten 6-6 Michigan St., 8-4 Michigan, both ranked at the time. Their quality wins were against Stanford and OU. ND squeaked by a QB depleted USC. If Alabama wins the SEC, they would be 8 point favorites vs. ND. If Georgia wins the SEC, they will be 3 point dogs vs. ND.

If the +1 BCS was in play now, Oregon would play ND, and Florida would play Georgia/Alabama in the first round, then the winners would play each other for a "fairer" Championship.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

SEC vs the world is where we are at now.

And to be honest I am not sure it shouldn't be that way. They play the best football in the country and I don't think they should have to "prove" themselves to the likes of Oregon or Boise or Louisville. They play the BEST every other week in conference play no one else in the country goes through such a grueling process. It shows, the last 6 national champs were SEC schools.

2 Florida (SEC) Champs 41 1 Ohio State (Big Ten) Champs 14
2 LSU (SEC) Champs 38 1 Ohio State (Big Ten) Champs 24
2 Florida (SEC) Champs 24 1 Oklahoma (Big 12) Champs 14
1 Alabama (SEC) Champs 37 2 Texas (Big 12) Champs 21
1 Auburn (SEC) Champs 22 2 Oregon (Pac-10) Champs 19
2 Alabama (SEC) 21 1 LSU (SEC) Champs 0

They are conditioned all year in how to win big games and they end up being the best at it.

Why should Oregon, Louisville, or Boise have a shot when they play AA schools all year and Alabama starts with UofM and runs through the heart of the SEC and only hiccups one game?

I think the playoff will be nice but I feel like we are going to see alot of SEC 1 v 2 matchups coming up. I personally don't think ND has a chance here.

bruin23
Premium Member
San Francisco, CA

bruin23

Premium Member

said by f0rtys3ven:

SEC vs the world is where we are at now.

And to be honest I am not sure it shouldn't be that way. They play the best football in the country and I don't think they should have to "prove" themselves to the likes of Oregon or Boise or Louisville. They play the BEST every other week in conference play no one else in the country goes through such a grueling process. It shows, the last 6 national champs were SEC schools.

2 Florida (SEC) Champs 41 1 Ohio State (Big Ten) Champs 14
2 LSU (SEC) Champs 38 1 Ohio State (Big Ten) Champs 24
2 Florida (SEC) Champs 24 1 Oklahoma (Big 12) Champs 14
1 Alabama (SEC) Champs 37 2 Texas (Big 12) Champs 21
1 Auburn (SEC) Champs 22 2 Oregon (Pac-10) Champs 19
2 Alabama (SEC) 21 1 LSU (SEC) Champs 0

They are conditioned all year in how to win big games and they end up being the best at it.

Why should Oregon, Louisville, or Boise have a shot when they play AA schools all year and Alabama starts with UofM and runs through the heart of the SEC and only hiccups one game?

I think the playoff will be nice but I feel like we are going to see alot of SEC 1 v 2 matchups coming up. I personally don't think ND has a chance here.

Here's the problem: they don't really play out-of-conference games and when they do, they schedule cupcake opponents. Also, they play 8 in-conference games instead of 9. Look at who the top 4 SEC teams played last Saturday. While you had Oregon playing Stanford and Kansas State playing Baylor (who, even as a bad team, is still in the same conference), Alabama played Western Carolina and Georgia played Georgia South. These games were padding the SEC teams' records, nothing more.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

Everyone has cupcake games. Everyone has in and out of conference games. Some schools develop a hard schedule some an easier one.

8 instead of 9 unless you count the championship right?

There are too many teams. The best football in the nation is in the SEC hence why those big SEC matchups are soo heavily weighted in the BCS.

Don't get me wrong about Oregon or Boise or the like. They are exciting to watch! I would LOVE to see openers like Oregon V Alabama or Boise v Georgia but that doesn't happen. They are the same type of schedules every year. Adding in one more level to the playoff will give the top tier bride teams their chance. Until then enjoy the baby bowls.

bruin23
Premium Member
San Francisco, CA

bruin23

Premium Member

said by f0rtys3ven:

Everyone has cupcake games. Everyone has in and out of conference games. Some schools develop a hard schedule some an easier one.

8 instead of 9 unless you count the championship right?

There are too many teams. The best football in the nation is in the SEC hence why those big SEC matchups are soo heavily weighted in the BCS.

Don't get me wrong about Oregon or Boise or the like. They are exciting to watch! I would LOVE to see openers like Oregon V Alabama or Boise v Georgia but that doesn't happen. They are the same type of schedules every year. Adding in one more level to the playoff will give the top tier bride teams their chance. Until then enjoy the baby bowls.

I suggest reading this great article in terms of strength of schedule comparison:

»sports.yahoo.com/news/nc ··· 035.html
quote:
Five of Georgia's 11 victories are over objectively terrible opponents – teams ranked 80th or lower nationally by Sagarin. Alabama has four victories over teams ranked 80th or lower. Notre Dame only two.

A lot of people point to the Irish vulnerability against the likes of Purdue and Pittsburgh as evidence they are Not SEC Tough. But Georgia fans who white-knuckled through scary wins over Tennessee or Kentucky – two teams so disappointing they fired their coaches – know that a good team can struggle on a given Saturday. Alabama is the only one of the three to dispatch overmatched opponents without a peep of protest.

The myth perpetuated by SEC fans is that every week is such a bloodbath, nobody from outside the league could withstand the grind. Yet in the month of November, the average Sagarin rating of Georgia's opponents was 70th. After opening against Michigan, Alabama didn't play anyone in Sagarin's top 30 for the next seven games.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

Opponent#

vs. Navy
Purdue
at #10 Michigan State
#17 Michigan
vs. Miami (FL)
#17 Stanford
BYU
at #8 Oklahoma
Pittsburgh
at Boston College
Wake Forest
at USC

That looks like 3 or 4 gimmes.

Navy, Purdue, Miami(FL), BYU, Wake Forest

Any top 10 team is crushing these opponents.
Georgia had 5 gimmies. Alabama had 4 gimmies. To me it looks like ND is on par.

Now is Purdue harder than Georgia South? Probably but a trap game is a trap game is a trap game. Trap games are there to make sure there isn't a drop in concentration not to provide amazing competition.
f0rtys3ven

f0rtys3ven

Alabama

Opponent#
vs. #8 Michigan*
WKU*
at Arkansas
Florida Atlantic*
Ole Miss
at Missouri
at Tennessee
#13 Mississippi Statedagger
at #5 LSU
#15 Texas A&M
Western Carolina*
Auburn
vs. #3 Georgia

Gimmies: Ole Miss, Western Carolina, WKU, Florida Atlantic

Georgia

Opponent#
Buffalo*
at Missouri
Florida Atlantic*
Vanderbilt
Tennessee
at #6 South Carolina
at Kentucky
vs. #3 Florida
Ole Miss
at Auburn
Georgia Southern*
Georgia Tech*
vs. #2 Alabama

Gimmies: Georgia Southern, Ole Miss, Vanerbilt, Buffalo, Florida Atlantic
f0rtys3ven

f0rtys3ven

Now that the info is here. Do you think the gimmies are easier or harder for ND, Alabama, or Georgia.

Note: Your article was web sensed so I went and got the info off wikipedia. Let me know if I am missing any key points you'd like to add.

dogma
XYZ
Premium Member
Boulder City, NV

dogma

Premium Member

We've had this debate for years here (SEC should be the NFL's 7th conference), but it's a waste until there is a viable playoff. The only reason BCS AQ teams play cupcakes is to pad their W/L records that allow them to be Bowl eligible.

A playoff, or even a defacto playoff, removes all arguments.
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

drslash (banned)

said by dogma:

We've had this debate for years here (SEC should be the NFL's 7th conference), but it's a waste until there is a viable playoff. The only reason BCS AQ teams play cupcakes is to pad their W/L records that allow them to be Bowl eligible.

A playoff, or even a defacto playoff, removes all arguments.

Except the arguments of who makes the 4 team playoff...6 team play off...8 team playoff...lather...rinse...repeat.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

But chances are good that all teams that can justifyably claim the #1 spot will be in an 8 team playoff.

dogma
XYZ
Premium Member
Boulder City, NV

dogma to drslash

Premium Member

to drslash
16 team playoff = no "sane" arguments.

1.) All FBS/D1 teams need to win their conference championships.

2.) 5 At large teams get in to this playoff

Bottom line here is if a team can't win their own division, they don't deserve to have an opportunity to compete for a National Championship. IOW, every team earns their way into this playoff by actually winning games on the field. (And not in some sports reporters or coaches biased mind)

This is what ALL major sports do in the world. (except for AYSO pee-wee soccer that gives out "participation" trophies to everyone).

Also an alternative, and what will probably happen, is all D1 teams will eventually merge into 6 or 8 "Super-conferences" of about 16 teams each/2 divisions. Each Super conference will hold their own conference championship - which will be effectively a defacto 1st round playoff. This will also Decentivize scheduling DII/DIII/Eight man and University of Phoenix "cupcake" teams, as conference W/L records would only be counted for conference championship qualifying. Perhaps we can get some good out-of-conference match ups as well.

Each Conference Champ will advance onto their traditional relationship bowl game . i.e, Big 12 vs. SEC in the Sugar, Pac 12 vs. Big 10 in the Rose, ACC and Big East in the Orange, etc.

The winners of those 4 bowl games should automatically get invitations to the BCS +1.

At the end of the day, every D1 college player that walks into winter training knows they have a fair chance at winning a National title by earning it on the field.

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude

Premium Member

said by dogma:

At the end of the day, every D1 college player that walks into winter training knows they have a fair chance at winning a National title by earning it on the field.

It's bound to go that way eventually, but seeing how long the NCAA has dragged their feet on playoffs, it could be another 100 years before we get there.

RockCake
Premium Member
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA

RockCake to waldoooo

Premium Member

to waldoooo
Participants aside, I just hate having to wait 6 goddam weeks for the National Championship. Hell that's half a season.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member
join:2012-10-18

Blogger to drslash

Premium Member

to drslash
Yes but if one refuse to something because there is going to be an argument or some people in opposition than virtually NOTHING would ever get done. There is all ways an argument or an opposition to anything--especially at the proposed or new stage.

It terms of sheer numbers of pros and cons for the number of teams in a playoff it is unreasonable to expect any widespread support for a maximum number of eight. To start with four is reasonable. Then lets see how it goes.

pro7070
BJ "The Prodigy" Penn
Premium Member
join:2002-06-28
Inman, SC

pro7070 to waldoooo

Premium Member

to waldoooo
If Oregon played in the SEC they would be a .500 team. The played 2 decent teams this year and lost 1 of those at home. Teams like Oregon have to get up once or twice a year for a big game. Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Florida have to be ready 6 or 7 times a year and even the lower rung SEC schools can be tough. South Carolina faced Georgia, LSU, Florida in 3 consecutive weeks. Pretty much impossible for any team to run that slate. I think the 3 best teams are Alabama, Notre Dame, and Texas A&M.