uniqs
share rss forum feed

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2

LIPA customers billed for days without power

»www.newsday.com/long-island/lipa···698?qr=1

Gotta say, that this is where smart meters have a definite advantage. There is no need for estimated billing with smart meters. You pay exactly for what you use.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Paywall link.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ

Really??? Comes up fine here.

Here's another:

»www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article···uts.html

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
reply to Cho Baka

It linked fine for me. No paywall.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
reply to fifty nine

Thanks.
Paywalls are a pet peeve of mine.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

rendrenner

join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI
reply to fifty nine

paywall for me too. could only read first paragraph
Nancy...

CONTENT PREVIEW
This content is exclusive for Newsday digital access and 7-day home delivery subscribers and Optimum Online® customers.
Already
registered?
Already a
subscriber/customer?
Register
Subscribe Now, $1 Trial
Subscribe

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to fifty nine

I don't have a smart meter, but I get billed once every 2 months for what was exactly used (some dude comes to read the meter).

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

1 recommendation

reply to fifty nine

Article Summary: Power company reassigned all employees to help with recovery effort, so meters didn't get read. Estimate bills were generated even for customers that had power outage. Customers upset. Customers can call and provide actual usage and get bill adjusted. Or wait until next actual meter reading. The power company is also suspending bills for people with severe damage and suspending 1.5% late fee.

People bitch about everything. And are stupid if they can't read their utility bills and just call their power company. A month or two ago I had a gas bill that was obscenely high. It was more gas usage in one month than I had used in the previous 8 combined with the mild winter and above average spring and summer. Discovered the meter reader misread one of the dials. Called, talked with a rep who agreed that the misread was pretty obvious and took my revised reading. Had a new bill in a few days.

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3
reply to fifty nine

After being without power for 9 days, my PSEG bill is going to be a bit late this month.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to fifty nine

I'm guessing that the NY Daily News paywalls for certain ISPs.

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

reply to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

Gotta say, that this is where smart meters have a definite advantage. There is no need for estimated billing with smart meters. You pay exactly for what you use.

Serious question: are you trolling?

You pay for exactly what you use whether you have a smart meter or an analog one. No customers were overbilled nor are they being asked to pay for usage they didn't consume. This is a link-bait non-story. Estimated meter readings are quite common and are acceptable under utility commission regulations.

Not sure where the advantage is: if the power was out the day the billing system polled the meter for usage, customers would have received an estimated bill. Likewise if the meter communication network was damaged in the storm or experiencing interference or other transient problems. No system is perfect.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit
reply to fifty nine

I submitted my own meter reading to JCP&L the day before the scheduled reading date, but they seem to have used to own estimate instead of my reading. It doesn't really matter, because it's within $2 of my reading, and everything will be back in sync the next time the meter reader comes around.

The linked story is really a non-story. No one is going to pay for power they didn't use.

EDIT: Some of these people may be on an equal payment plan. So of course they should pay the normal amount every month. That's exactly what they signed up for.

microphone
Premium
join:2009-04-29
Parkville, MD
reply to pike

While it is true that no one will ultimately be over billed in the end, it is very disconcerting to be in the dark for a week or more and than receive an excessive electric bill on top of it. I would be really pissed off.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

said by microphone:

While it is true that no one will ultimately be over billed in the end, it is very disconcerting to be in the dark for a week or more and than receive an excessive electric bill on top of it. I would be really pissed off.

It wouldn't surprise me if some aggressive lawyer out on L.I. starts shaking trees and kicking tires.

--
November is National Epilepsy Month

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Suddenlink
reply to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

"This content is exclusive for Newsday digital access and 7-day home delivery subscribers and Optimum Online® customers."
--
Four more years of cronyism, payoffs, bad energy policy and 60's radicals being in charge. Thanks for ruining our country.

Jeffrey
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium
join:2002-12-24
Long Island
reply to fifty nine

I read this in the paper the other day, but I wasn't sure why it was news. The estimate won't reflect being without power 8 days, but on the actual meter read the next time it will even out. Not a big deal.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to fifty nine

Just the typical whining from that area about nothing.

M A R S
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Long Island
kudos:1

said by ropeguru:

Just the typical whining from that area about nothing.

Dog whistle.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to DataDoc

said by DataDoc:

said by fifty nine:

"This content is exclusive for Newsday digital access and 7-day home delivery subscribers and Optimum Online® customers."

I am neither.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to pike

said by pike:

said by fifty nine:

Serious question: are you trolling?

You pay for exactly what you use whether you have a smart meter or an analog one. No customers were overbilled nor are they being asked to pay for usage they didn't consume. This is a link-bait non-story. Estimated meter readings are quite common and are acceptable under utility commission regulations.

Not sure where the advantage is: if the power was out the day the billing system polled the meter for usage, customers would have received an estimated bill. Likewise if the meter communication network was damaged in the storm or experiencing interference or other transient problems. No system is perfect.

Not a troll post, but I do like dispelling the ignorance around smart meters. Their benefits far outweigh any perceived disadvantages.

Actually if the system was out for only a couple of days, the system would take the last and current reading. That's how it is for us. Even with normal operation, our meter readings may skip a day or two. At the end of the month they just take the difference between start and end and bill appropriately.

I have never gotten an estimated bill from our cooperative.

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
reply to fifty nine

All depends on what kind of "smart meter" you have. Mine with my rater plan needs a bit more than start reading date /time of reading end reading date/time of end reading....

But in the end - this is trying to make a mountain out of a molehill - the actual readings WILL eventually catchup.

The ones I feel sorry for are those who don't have a home any more.

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
reply to fifty nine

My SmartMeter is read daily:

I think Tuesdays must be laundry day, never payed attention.

--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ

Click for full size
Ours is read daily but sometimes a system glitch may cause them to miss daily readings.

But at the end of the month instead of an estimated bill they simply take the beginning and end of the month to calculate your bill, just like an ordinary meter reader would do.

The difference is that there are no humans to make mistakes writing down numbers , brave hostile environments, and waste fuel and time to read a meter.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Yes, it's much more efficient to have the computers make the mistakes.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ

said by Bob4:

Yes, it's much more efficient to have the computers make the mistakes.

Computers don't make mistakes.