spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hughesnet123

join:2012-11-08

My Video Review of Gen 4 with Speed Test

Here is a video I did with Gen 4. I included Speed test on multiple devices.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFrKkD-W-UI

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

Nicely done.

One problem though. Too much Apple hardware!

diablo1892
Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

said by silbaco:

Nicely done.

One problem though. Too much Apple hardware!

I would also like to add that he should test on other/multiple speed test websites instead of just one, or am i wrong? I recommend testmy.net and hughesnet's speed test tools they offer there customers (if possible, i don't know where they are)
--
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired router/ wireless D-Link router with password
Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

hughesnet123

reply to hughesnet123

Actually I did use other speed test websites but I never took screen shots of them. I will re-do the video and include them. I also did test it on a Windows 8 Machine, not only my Mac's. My parents have a Windows 8 Laptop I tested it on.

The reason I use Speedtest.net most of the time is a whole other story.

Some of them, like speakeasy, SUCKS for satellite internet.

hughesnet123

reply to hughesnet123

Oh and the Hughesnet speed test don't work with me anymore. It works on my parents Windows 8 computer but it won't work on my mac's.

diablo1892

Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

1 edit

test #1

test #2

test #3

test #4
I found the problem, it was Java it wasn't enabled in my FF settings.

I also managed to look back at my HN7000S modem test results.
Hmmm i think i see a very close resemblance except for the upload speed.

hughesnet123

reply to hughesnet123

Yeah, I had to do the hughesnet speedtest on the windows computer which I will include in the next video. On it, I get the same results. Which is around 15MB. Sometimes late at night I see around 20MB. I have even seen 25MB and 3 Up before.

My most common speed throughout the day is between 11mb through 15MB.

To use speedtest.com you have to understand satellite internet comes in burst, therefore causing you to test it around 5 times to see your actual results, although each time you will see it go up to 15MB but it may catch the end result at 3MB because of the burst. I do it around 5 times so it catch's it at 15mb.

I also know I get around 15MB most of the time due to a radio show I download each day. I calculate the MB. The radio show comes in 4 hour clips. Each clip is 30MB. I download it in two seconds.

1080P HD youtube videos also are fully loaded within around 10 seconds or less.

On rainy days I have seen it drop down to 7MB. But generally that's about as slow as mine has gotten. It's still just as fast as when I got it installed.

Are you using a Windows computer? Because I have a friend who has a cable connection and pays for 20MB down and like 3 up. Well, he was getting around 1.5MB up ALL the time. He had me fix his computer.

The problem ended up being, because windows computers get spyware, even from facebook, he had a million things in the background that caused it to take his speed up that was not visible in the background locations.

I do know of an app that I can send you that will kill all these background applications so you can see what your internet speed is, purely running just your browser. That was his problem.

He went over to his new desktop and he got 20MB down and 3up. But on his laptop 1.5 down and hardly no up.

This is why I stay away from Windows. There is a guy on youtube right now who has a 100MB down connection but only gets 20MB down. Well, he runs a program that kills all the background apps you can't see, and his speed goes up to 100MB instantly. And everyone is saying that works for them. I can point you in that direction if needed.

Even doing spyware scans won't always avoid some of these programs. Some of them are very hidden and are programmed in a way to use around 75% of your internet connection non STOP.

hughesnet123

reply to diablo1892

You need to be getting way better than that. Is your satellite pointed good? Did you check that? You might want them to come back out, unless of course you're on windows and you have one of these background applications taking up all your speed. You have all anti virus turned off and automatic windows updates turned off too? And have done an Ad aware spyware scan and seen what it was?

Go look at your open applications and what's running. Anything you don't need, close it, then do a speed test. See what happens.

diablo1892

Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

ZA firewall is uninstalled, windows firewall is disabled, sun did'nt have direct sunlight to dish, and I run resource monitor to see what all has connections and to what specific server, also I have networx and bitmeter to keep me updatted of every single second something on my computer is downloading and uploading. Also I did this early cause no one was awake or just getting up so no one was doing any web surfing, no clouds in sight and signal strength is currently 94

Does this mean that I have a bad cable somewhere possibly? No, does this mean my modem or satellite dish is malfunctioning or not setup right? On day one we were able to hit 1.3mb/s of download speed (currently getting this off and on) so i think not. Not a singal error on the modem page except for the downlink (thats on HN end) and every page so far this morning loaded up within 1-2 seconds so I believe i do not need a tech(:
--
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired router/ wireless D-Link router with password
Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

TexasRebel

join:2011-05-29
Edgewood, TX
reply to hughesnet123

It's Megabits not MegaBytes. If you were getting 15 MegaBytes down, you would be getting 120Mbps (MegaBits/sec) and you would be smoking fast like FIOS.

hughesnet123

Yes, I think most of us realize that and just get used to saying a certain term. Unless you're one of those people that gets annoyed when someone say's, "Your," instead of, "You're." No biggie!