share rss forum feed

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2

120 megabit FD link, no 5.8ghz left

Open to suggestions on a link for 120 megabits, Little over 11,000 meters. No 5.8ghz spectrum left at one end. I know about the AirFiber but the 11km link part scares me.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1

No 5.4/5.2? Thinking Moto Orthogon or whatever its called now has a low-band option with those speeds.

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

What size dishes to go 11 KM with 5.4/5.2?

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14

1 recommendation

reply to Inssomniak

11 KM full duplex?

11GHz. Done and done.

Look at SAF or Dragonwave.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON

I did look at SAF as well but is the licensing a pain in the ass? (IC)

I should have added that my tower has a fair bit of twist in it. Will that make it useless for 11ghz?
--
»www.optionsdsl.ca

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14

1 recommendation

Shouldn't be a pain. IC should be like FCC. I would think your supplier of hardware should be able to help you file. If not I am sure there has to be someone here who can provide some insight.

As for the twist, yes possibly but the twist is going to mess up even 5.4GHz

Either way you should go licensed. Based on the link distance and throughput requirements and full duplex it's the only way you can meet all of them.

PTP600 is capable but it's going to need big dishes to do. Big dish means more twist.
--
"Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth. Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar."
J.E.H.

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
reply to Inssomniak

Beat me to it. It could be done in 5.4 with 4' dishes for 200megs aggregate.

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
reply to Inssomniak

IC Licencing process is not that bad. Biggest challenge is proving Canadian ownership. Once you've done that once you don't need to do it again so the process gets a LOT easier. I did it myself, but usually the vendor or VAR will do it for you. Bigger issue is the probably cost of such a high amount of BW since iCan's licencing is not based on today's reality as far as speeds go.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON

said by Semaphore:

IC Licencing process is not that bad. Biggest challenge is proving Canadian ownership. Once you've done that once you don't need to do it again so the process gets a LOT easier.

Im going thru that process right now
--
»www.optionsdsl.ca

Rhaas
Premium
join:2005-12-19
Bernie, MO

1 recommendation

Wait, you have to prove you're canukian??

You just can't walk in and say I'm canadian eh!?
--
I survived Hale-Bopp!

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to Inssomniak

It's not a pain in the ass if you let your distributor do all of the paperwork and filings. If you are doing a small number of links it's worth letting them do everything. If you get to the point where you do a lot of links then it would be worth learning to do everything your self.

+++1 on the SAF stuff. We tried them out when they were pretty much unknown company in North America and I could not be more pleased with their product and support. I did some 8 mile 11Ghz links that have been in the air for 2+ years trouble free.

I would be concerned about a link on a tower that twists.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON

I appreciate all the information, but this idea isn't going to go thru, it was going to be possibly used to shoot a link from a hydro power plant (or near it) back to my main PoP but they can't do it.

Good info to know going forward though.
--
»www.optionsdsl.ca

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
reply to Rhaas

Well ya can do that but you gotta bring them some decent beer and a couple pairs of wool socks too.