share rss forum feed

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

[HD] IPad app

As a Verizon FIOS user, I've always been envious of COMCAST's IPad app. Verizon recently and finally introduced one. I'm wondering, does the COMCAST IPad app allow you to view any channel you subscribe to? Also, does it allow you to watch recorded programs from your DVR, and does it allow you to watch ON Demand programming on the IPad? Thanks in advance for your response. btw, I'm in the MA. Merrimack Valley area.
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5

No, no, Different App so some yes.

miataman

Chelmsford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by beachintech:

No, no, Different App so some yes.

Thanks, How many channels can you watch on the IPad?
does it include local "OTA" stations, and sports channels?
--

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:3
reply to miataman

Actually, Verizon just announced a new FiOS mobile app:

From »www.lightreading.com/document.as···lr_cable :

The latest Verizon Communications Inc. FiOS Mobile app for the iPad lets customers who subscribe to the company's TV and broadband service stream 75 live TV channels directly to the iPad, so long as they are within reach of their home Wi-Fi signal. The app also serves as a fancy remote control, and lets customers manage their DVR recordings. Verizon also offers a subset of its live TV lineup on the Xbox, but the new app puts it on better competitive footing with Cablevision Systems Corp., Time Warner Cable Inc. and Cox Communications Inc., which also stream video to home-bound iPads. Comcast Corp. and some of TiVo's cable partners pull off something similar using separate transcoding devices. (See Comcast Beams Live TV to the iPad: »www.lightreading.com/document.as···lr_cable)
See also:

Verizon Makes 75 Live Channels Available Through iPad App, But No Local Stations
By Todd Spangler, Multichannel News - November 24, 2012
»multichannel.com/telco-tv/fios-t···v/140397

miataman

Chelmsford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by telcodad:

Yes, I'm aware of (and using) it. My Q is about the # of channels, and capabilities.. Thanks....
--

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by miataman:

said by telcodad:

Yes, I'm aware of (and using) it. My Q is about the # of channels, and capabilities.. Thanks....

Details on Comcast's "AnyPlay" service can be found at: »www.xfinity.com/anyplay

Under the FAQs section (»info.xfinity.com/Portal/content/···faq.aspx) it states:
Q: Can I watch all of the channels I currently subscribe to using AnyPlay?
A: With AnyPlay you can watch most of the XFINITY TV channels included with your XFINITY TV service with the exception of channels that launch On Demand.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

I think the OP meant LIVE channels.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

As it says in the first FAQs Q&A:

AnyPlay is a new feature offered through the XFINITY TV app that allows you to watch live TV on select tablet devices in your home.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

What good is this? I can see if you are at the mall or somewhere but in your house? Some people have a tv in every room except the bathroom and how many people will watch tv there?
This would be a feature more for people on the go in my opinion.

Russ

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX

The reason Comcast limits it to the home network is to prevent lawsuits from the copyright holders.

Comcast Guy

join:2008-01-16
Harrisburg, PA
reply to mikedz4

said by mikedz4:

What good is this? I can see if you are at the mall or somewhere but in your house? Some people have a tv in every room except the bathroom and how many people will watch tv there?
This would be a feature more for people on the go in my opinion.

You answered your own question. Twice. SOME people (not all) have TVs in every room EXCEPT the bathroom (Be honest, fellas, that is useful). Plus, watching on a mobile device can be done without keeping your significant other awake with the bedroom tv. For viewing on the go, they do offer the Xfinity Player app. Not live, but is a viewing option.

Keep in mind that this is not yet available everywhere.

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
reply to mikedz4

You could also use it like picture in picture watching two different shows or sporting events at the same time in the same room., one on a very small screen... Useful for football season. Waiting for any play to be available here in Pennsylvania.

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

1 recommendation

reply to miataman

You don't need the comcast anyplay to watch live streaming TV online or on an ipad. if you have a comcast.net id and password you can watch live channels from their online tv access website.

»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···r-sites/

From that site (with links provided at the site)

The networks generally available through partner websites include:

•Adult Swim
•Cartoon Network
•CNN
•HBO GO
•TBS
•TNT
•TruTV
•WatchESPN
•MAX GO
•WatchDisney
•WatchDisneyJunior
•WatchDisneyXD
Note: Networks that are in beta can only be accessed by pre-selected Beta participants. These networks include: Comedy Central, Discovery Channel and Showtime.