Norwalk, CA

1 edit

rtcy to crgauth

Premium Member

to crgauth

Re: Verizon and AMC dispute

said by crgauth:

My $.02 worth
When it comes to a la carte services, I don't think most of us can afford what it would really cost to just get the channels we want.
For this example:
AMC reportedly charges around $.23/subscriber. So given an estimate I found on the Internet of approx 81M households having cable. I believe AMC is typically included to most users. That means that they get $18.6M/month. Last week Walking dead got 9M viewers. And assuming every one of those people would want to keep the channel, their cost would jump to over $2/month.
And AMC has about an average carriage fee. So if you like the cheap channels and not the expensive ones, you could possibly save money.
And for those that say I will just drop the channel and find the programs I want online, if that happens too much, the channels won't be able to afford the quality programming and it will disappear.

All of this being said, it appears to be a never ending cycle. Channels want more money, eventually our costs go up.
But this is no different than sports teams, movies and most other forms of entertainment.

Ok, next person want to use the soapbox?

yes , but only after you read what C BANd channels used to cost versus " CABLE " channels A LA CARTE is NOT expensive if you buy what you watch only.

with me it leaves out ALL sports, and 80% of the rest. my kids watch a couple of cartoon channels, excluding boomerang that is only in the most expensive tier so they can f--- every parent with a kid. but I have seen a new trend showing up for the last 10 years and at first I thought it was crazy , but now i see my kids and grandkids watch their shows over the internet and not from Verizon, so by the time I check out from this world I can only assume that Cable companies are going to go the way of AOL and dial up. think about it, and start dumping the stock while it's still worth it.
rtcy

1 recommendation

rtcy to somebodeez

Premium Member

to somebodeez
said by somebodeez:

AMC isn't what it use to be. I remember the days when they didn't cut and interrupt movies with commercials. We *rarely* watch that channel now.
C'mon, Fios and bring on TCM in HD !

YES +1 TMC in HD no commercials, no fucking icons on the bottom of the screen. movies in full length
rtcy

rtcy to Tarheel72

Premium Member

to Tarheel72
said by Tarheel72:

Settle down people. In case you haven't heard the world will end on December 21 anyway (I saw it on the History Channel. Or was it NatGeo?) Anyway, I got my Mayan calendar and my tin foil hat, stocked up on beef jerky and water purification tabs so I don't need no stinking cable.

LOL you must be watching that bible thumping channels with dual wifes and magget eating contests talk about channels we can afford to loose. no programming, and no cost to make those lousy shows but they want more money each year, so the nolans can buy 18000.00 umbrella hangers LOL

Rick4769
join:2012-11-21
Buffalo, NY

Rick4769 to rtcy

to rtcy
"AMC isn't what it use to be. I remember the days when they didn't cut and interrupt movies with commercials. We *rarely* watch that channel now."

I agree, AMC is absolutely unwatchable as the movies are so cut up with commercial interruptions. To make matters worse, they also cut scenes out of the original movies which virtually ruins the movie.
I have TCM-HD with Time Warner and it is one of my favorite channels. I would not switch to FIOS unless TCM-HD was in their lineup.
WayneF
join:2006-05-12
Plano, TX

1 recommendation

WayneF

That's my vote too. Bring on TCM HD, and forget about AMC.

somebodeez
MVM
join:2001-09-24
here

somebodeez to Rick4769

MVM

to Rick4769
said by Rick4769:

"AMC isn't what it use to be. I remember the days when they didn't cut and interrupt movies with commercials. We *rarely* watch that channel now."

I agree, AMC is absolutely unwatchable as the movies are so cut up with commercial interruptions. To make matters worse, they also cut scenes out of the original movies which virtually ruins the movie.
I have TCM-HD with Time Warner and it is one of my favorite channels. I would not switch to FIOS unless TCM-HD was in their lineup.

IMHO, TCM in SD is still better than AMC HD. IDK about Time Warner but in this area, the only other available cable co. is Comcast and Fios beats the crap out of Comcast quality wise.
robjlevin
join:2002-10-30
Medford, NJ

robjlevin to jmcging

to jmcging
Just seen on Twitter: Verizon FiOS @VerizonFiOS
Hooray! We've reached an agreement with AMC Networks. Thanks for being a loyal #FiOS customer.

Jamesbobo
@verizon.net

Jamesbobo to somebodeez

Anon

to somebodeez
Verizon has just announced on Facebook that they have reached an agreement with AMC and there will be no interruption in service.

TitusTroy
join:2009-06-18
New York, NY

TitusTroy to robjlevin

to robjlevin
said by robjlevin:

Just seen on Twitter: Verizon FiOS @VerizonFiOS
Hooray! We've reached an agreement with AMC Networks. Thanks for being a loyal #FiOS customer.

good to see them reach an agreement and avoid a long, contentious battle like what happened with Dish Network...now I can safely watch Walking Dead when it returns in February and the final season of Breaking Bad

maybe AMC's smear campaign worked

Ike1
join:2012-06-02
Brooklyn, NY

Ike1

said by TitusTroy:

maybe AMC's smear campaign worked

I hope not. If it did, that means Verizon is paying a lot more for AMC. Which means our bills will go up, maybe by about $1 a month.

AMC has plenty of commercials, so I don't see what they need more money for. And as others have noted, AMC's channels in HD are atrocious-looking compared to all the other HD channels (and they look especially terrible next to a really gorgeous one with lots of bandwidth like BBCA HD). I like AMC's dramas but I hope we're not paying too much more for them. Oh well, it's all over now and we have no way of knowing the numbers that were worked out, I guess.

So, which TV provider will AMC bushwhack next?

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to jmcging

Premium Member

to jmcging
I'm happy they worked out a deal!

Miss Fran
@verizon.net

Miss Fran to jmcging

Anon

to jmcging
I love to watch the movies on AMC and they are such good movies. Please do not do away with the channel.
Expand your moderator at work
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth to Miss Fran

to Miss Fran

Re: Verizon and AMC dispute

Dispute is over. Wish someone would lock the thread.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to jmcging

to jmcging
Financial agreements between companies that serve the consumers should all be made public. A third party is reporting AMC will see around a 6% increase in carriage fees (»www.deadline.com/2012/12 ··· reement/) but I would really like to know the true subscriber fee that Dolan is getting for this new deal.