uniqs
share rss forum feed

TitusTroy

join:2009-06-18
New York, NY

3 edits
reply to jmcging

Re: Verizon and AMC dispute

AMC is riling up Verizon customers now because they know that once the agreement expires on 12/31 with no new contract in place Verizon will take the channel off the air...so at that point there would be no point running those Verizon bashing ads because no Verizon customers would be able to see them (unless they go to a friend or family members house who has another cable provider)

when Dish took the channel off during their 4-5 month contract dispute I would still see dozens of Dish network bashing commercials during AMC programming which really made no sense as the target demographic is not seeing it

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA

2 recommendations

reply to jmcging

To VZ: If AMC wants to charge more per subscriber they need to increase the HD PQ of their networks to a level worthy of being on FiOS TV.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:30

+1

Pattz3

@verizon.net
reply to jmcging

Keep AMC!!!!!!

Baff

join:2007-12-05
Murrieta, CA
reply to crgauth

said by crgauth:

My $.02 worth
When it comes to a la carte services, I don't think most of us can afford what it would really cost to just get the channels we want.

I watch 18 channels. At your estimated average of $2 each, that would be $36/month, which is a small fraction of what I pay now.

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Baff:

said by crgauth:

My $.02 worth
When it comes to a la carte services, I don't think most of us can afford what it would really cost to just get the channels we want.

I watch 18 channels. At your estimated average of $2 each, that would be $36/month, which is a small fraction of what I pay now.

What about providing the service, the cable boxes etc. You left that out.

JAH_PGH

join:2009-09-28
Pittsburgh, PA

My rants:
1. I'm with Zero - while the AMC picture quality has gotten better, it still isn't where an HD picture should be. If I'm to pay extra, make the broadcast better.
2. I don't care, Verizon - go ahead and lose the channel. There's already too many things on TV for me to watch anyway. I'll miss the Walking Dead, Hell On Wheels and Mad Men, but I will survive.
3. I'm not going to jump to ComCrap, Dish or DTV all because of 1 (or 3) channel. I am pleased with the service Vz provides and the number of HD movie channels offered is the main reason (and still is) why I went to FiOS in the first place. I've had Comcast and DTV in the past and still place Vz at the top.
4. While quirky, I still love my DVR and STB combo and think it's worthwhile to keep. I'd love to go to TiVo, but there are way too many additional costs involved. I'm not paying for a TiVo box, a secondary box, two cable cards and service fees...
5. I haven't watched IFC since the last season of Whitest Kids U Know. While IFC used to be one of my go-to channels 10 years ago, it has become boring and commercial-filled.
6. Sundance - same with IFC and the Picutre Quality is worse than AMC.
7. We channel? C'mon - I don't even have that channel saved to my Favorites
8. Relax - it's not the end of the world (or is it?!). I'm sure they'll come to some agreement in the next month. Look at what the NHL did?! Oh wait...
9. If you do jump ship, who's to say that in a years time, your new provider will have a fight with AMC?

The bottom line is that I'm sticking with Verizon.
JAH

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-24
here
reply to jmcging

AMC isn't what it use to be. I remember the days when they didn't cut and interrupt movies with commercials. We *rarely* watch that channel now.
C'mon, Fios and bring on TCM in HD !

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to JAH_PGH

said by JAH_PGH:

2. I don't care, Verizon - go ahead and lose the channel. There's already too many things on TV for me to watch anyway. I'll miss the Walking Dead, Hell On Wheels and Mad Men, but I will survive.

Mad Men is nothing like what it used to be. Walking Dead is about to go on hiatus for a while, Breaking Bad won't be back for months. If Verizon drops it, it won't affect me for months.

Unfortunately for us, AMC's contracts with the various providers don't all end at the same time, otherwise AMC wouldn't be able to run their scare scrolls.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16
reply to somebodeez

They went downhill after Rainbow Media got control, and turned these channels into a supposed cash cow....

zippoboy7

join:2006-06-18
USA

said by nycdave:

They went downhill after Rainbow Media got control, and turned these channels into a supposed cash cow....

They have always been crap channels, before they were just subsidized by Cablevisions profits where now they have to make it on there own.

I say dump all the rainbow media channels and don't look back, they are not worth the cost for at most 24 hours of half-decent programing per year while the rest of the time there just like the .TV crap channels we are stuck paying for.

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to jmcging

What nobody here watches Whisker Wars on IFC????? No?

Expand your moderator at work

jcondon

join:2000-05-27
Fishkill, NY
reply to Zero

+1

But it is Cablevision / Dolan so I don't expect they will give a better feed to FIOS. I am so glad I am done with Cablevision (at home at least).

Expand your moderator at work

TitusTroy

join:2009-06-18
New York, NY

1 edit
reply to jcondon

said by jcondon:

But it is Cablevision / Dolan so I don't expect they will give a better feed to FIOS. I am so glad I am done with Cablevision (at home at least).

why not?...they gave FiOS an excellent feed of MSG HD...and MSG was the channel that they went to court over

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

or alternatively;

said by TitusTroy:

they gave FiOS an excellent feed of MSG HD...

BECAUSE
said by TitusTroy:

MSG was the channel that they went to court over

--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to jmcging

MSG HD is transmitted by a direct line, not by satellite. That's why it looks great. AMC is stuffed and compressed on a sat feed with IFC, Sundance, We. There's of course NO excuse for the horrible cropping they do to everything they air. Or frankly for the compressed visuals they send, but this is again, the Dolans, and they are cheapskates.

Tarheel72

join:2005-12-18
Plano, TX
reply to jmcging

Settle down people. In case you haven't heard the world will end on December 21 anyway (I saw it on the History Channel. Or was it NatGeo?) Anyway, I got my Mayan calendar and my tin foil hat, stocked up on beef jerky and water purification tabs so I don't need no stinking cable.
--
Go Heels!

CrobertGauth

join:2007-12-15
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to Baff

And that assumes that you are watching lower cost channels. As soon as you throw in something like ESPN, it might go up to $10-$15 or more.

RadioBob

join:2008-03-31
Severna Park, MD

Can't we get most AMC shows from netflix?

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2

said by RadioBob:

Not immediately.

sbernstein5

join:2005-01-18
10024-5650
reply to jmcging

There are exactly 2 things I watch on all of these channels combined: Portlandia and Mad Men. Too bad I like these shows, otherwise, I'd say dump these lame channels (which actually used to be good).

We don't even get Sundance in HD....if they're going to boost the costs for the channels they should at least correct that issue!

dcborn61

join:2001-02-14
Bethesda, MD
reply to jmcging

Just got email from AMC

»email.amcnetworks.com/newsletter···m=231360

bsangs

join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to RadioBob

said by RadioBob:

I watch four shows on AMC - all episodes of which are available on iTunes, with the most recent one available the next day. There are many other avenues available too. Certainly not worth giving up FiOS for another provider.

needguts

@verizon.net
reply to jmcging

This is crazy. I just switched from Comcast cause it is so expensive and just can't afford it any more and now after watching AMC for so many years they might drop it. Verizon, please go back to the table with AMC and work this out! Where is a will, there is a way

diane

@verizon.net
reply to crgauth

amc is worth 2 dollors a month more to me. I also like the Walking Dead. Mad Man and Breaking Bad and all the other programs yho have to offer. Diane

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to jmcging

Once WD is over, I rarely find myself watching AMC
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

JAH_PGH

join:2009-09-28
Pittsburgh, PA

the best part is, I just used the link that dcborn61 provided to send an email stating that I completely support a decision for Verizon to drop AMC!
...and I totally would support that decision. AMC is using preemptive scare tactics for (whatever) benefit and it makes me angry....
This guy isn't bailing on Vz because of this silly dispute.

JAH

nfotiu

join:2009-01-25
reply to jmcging

I am torn on this one, I despise carriage fees for basic cable channels. On the other hand, I only watch about 5 channels, and amc is one of them. So while on one hand, I want Verizon to say stuff it to amc, on the other I'd probably leave verizon tv for directv if they didn't carry it.

Verizon gets me anyway by jacking up their Internet only plan. But I expense that anyway, so I can just tick my employer with it!