Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

RadioBob

join:2008-03-31
Severna Park, MD
reply to CrobertGauth

Re: Verizon and AMC dispute

Can't we get most AMC shows from netflix?

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2

said by RadioBob:

Not immediately.

sbernstein5

join:2005-01-18
10024-5650
reply to jmcging

There are exactly 2 things I watch on all of these channels combined: Portlandia and Mad Men. Too bad I like these shows, otherwise, I'd say dump these lame channels (which actually used to be good).

We don't even get Sundance in HD....if they're going to boost the costs for the channels they should at least correct that issue!

dcborn61

join:2001-02-14
Bethesda, MD
reply to jmcging

Just got email from AMC

»email.amcnetworks.com/newsletter···m=231360

bsangs

join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to RadioBob

said by RadioBob:

I watch four shows on AMC - all episodes of which are available on iTunes, with the most recent one available the next day. There are many other avenues available too. Certainly not worth giving up FiOS for another provider.

needguts

@verizon.net
reply to jmcging

This is crazy. I just switched from Comcast cause it is so expensive and just can't afford it any more and now after watching AMC for so many years they might drop it. Verizon, please go back to the table with AMC and work this out! Where is a will, there is a way

diane

@verizon.net
reply to crgauth

amc is worth 2 dollors a month more to me. I also like the Walking Dead. Mad Man and Breaking Bad and all the other programs yho have to offer. Diane

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to jmcging

Once WD is over, I rarely find myself watching AMC
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

JAH_PGH

join:2009-09-28
Pittsburgh, PA

the best part is, I just used the link that dcborn61 provided to send an email stating that I completely support a decision for Verizon to drop AMC!
...and I totally would support that decision. AMC is using preemptive scare tactics for (whatever) benefit and it makes me angry....
This guy isn't bailing on Vz because of this silly dispute.

JAH

nfotiu

join:2009-01-25
reply to jmcging

I am torn on this one, I despise carriage fees for basic cable channels. On the other hand, I only watch about 5 channels, and amc is one of them. So while on one hand, I want Verizon to say stuff it to amc, on the other I'd probably leave verizon tv for directv if they didn't carry it.

Verizon gets me anyway by jacking up their Internet only plan. But I expense that anyway, so I can just tick my employer with it!

raggs112

@verizon.net
reply to jmcging

I don't know the differences between these parties. If i knew i could make a better choice on what is right but one reason i came to verizon was my other service provider's kept dropping one after another program til i said enough and when i left i lost at least a dozen prorams and i don't want to start that all over again. I only been with verizon this year and hope i don't regret it. I would hate to lose amc but would like to hear the differences they have and what would that mean to us. Thanks.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
reply to jmcging

Personally I don't watch anything on any of the channels, I used to watch Walking Dead on AMC, but the HD quality is so horrid that I just don't enjoy it. I'd rather d/l it from iTunes later.

That said, I know people do enjoy the channels so I hope they come to a resolution that does not hike rates outrageously.

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY
reply to jmcging

If I were Verizon, I would immediately drop AMC, Sundance, IFC and We, just to make a point. In response to the PR fallout, I'd say "We removed those channels in response to bad-faith negotiating tactics by their owner. We do not intend to restore these channels now or in the future. We are providing all customers with a $1/mo rebate for 12 months to compensate them for the inconvenience."

It's time these content companies were taken down a peg or two.

I like Mad Men and Walking Dead, but as a functioning adult, I can deal with not having them anymore. There are plenty of other ways for me to entertain myself.

Timothy28

join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

Not to mention other ways to view those shows legally.

NNard

join:2012-06-26
Bethpage, NY

I also watch the Walking Dead and Mad Men but if they discontinue broadcasting so be it - I will find other means to watch these series as well as Breaking Bad because their compressed picture quality is nothing to lose sleep over.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Optimum Online
·ooma
·DIRECTV
reply to jmcging

Click for full size

ggma1126
GGMA1126
Premium
join:2008-08-30
Claymont, DE
reply to jmcging

I remember when AMc had no commercials back in the day then it was a good channel - now I hardly watch it - I prefer TCM only wish they would give us the hd version of TCM

shortkud

join:2005-02-05
Irving, TX
reply to jmcging

I hope whatever Verizon pays, it forces AMC to uplink their channel with a non shitty bitrate. My god AMC HD is the worst looking HD channel.

Spartan

join:2012-12-01
Leominster, MA
reply to jmcging

There are people who complain about everything. They will call Verizon cheap for not giving AMC all the money they want, but yet if AMC does get the amount they want we the customers will get a higher bill. If you're in a contract right now you don't have to worry about a thing, but once it's up expect to pay much more. At least for me if Verizon does drop AMC I would not care at all. I'm happy with Verizon and will not drop them just because of one show I like. The only time I watch AMC at all is sunday night at 9 to watch the Walking Dead, but that's about it. Once the show ends for the season I don't bother tuning to see what's on because it doesn't interest me at all. If Verizon were to drop it as I wrote I would just find another alternative way of watching it. I don't have to write what it is because I'm sure we all know other ways to watch the show.

KenAF

join:2006-01-23
Arlington, VA
reply to jmcging

There are only a few channels I would cancel and/or switch providers for, and AMC is one of them.

AMC has Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Mad Men, and Hell on Wheels. These are four of the best shows on television, with Breaking Bad and Mad Men among the most critically acclaimed cable shows of the last decade. News, sports, Dexter, Homeland, Boardwalk Empire, and these AMC shows account for nearly 100 percent of my viewing.

gugarci
Premium
join:2004-02-25
Lyndhurst, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jmcging

Has AMC been taken off the air due to the dispute? I recently got the double play but only for my internet and phone.

I decided to keep DTV since the service has been very reliable during the last 2 hurricane. While Comcast's internet service went down for numerous days during Irene and Sandy.

Anyway my kids and I are huge Walking Dead fans and would not have been happy campers. We would of been insanely irate campers.
--
Desktop Win 7 x64 Emsisoft Anti Malware v7, Laptop Win 7 x64 & Desktop XP Pro Emsisoft Anti Malware v7 & Online Armor Premium v6, Netbook Win 7 Starter and Netbook XP Home Avast 7, MBAM and Hitman Pro used on-demand only.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

It's on until at least December 31 right now.

NNard

join:2012-06-26
Bethpage, NY
reply to jmcging

I believe tonight's episode of the Walking Dead is the mid-season finale.

gugarci
Premium
join:2004-02-25
Lyndhurst, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jmcging

That's good to know. Like I've told my kids many times already all the providers have these issues. Hopefully it will get done. Unfortunately it's people like us that get caught in the middle every time there's a dispute.
--
Desktop Win 7 x64 Emsisoft Anti Malware v7, Laptop Win 7 x64 & Desktop XP Pro Emsisoft Anti Malware v7 & Online Armor Premium v6, Netbook Win 7 Starter and Netbook XP Home Avast 7, MBAM and Hitman Pro used on-demand only.

jjk26

join:2008-11-12
reply to jmcging

Luckily my verizon contract is about to end. If they don't resolve this soon, I'm going to switch before February. I'm hooked on The Walking Dead!

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

said by jjk26:

Luckily my verizon contract is about to end. If they don't resolve this soon, I'm going to switch before February. I'm hooked on The Walking Dead!

You can always watch it from a bunch of other sources using VOD.

Ike1

join:2012-06-02
Newark, NJ
reply to jjk26

said by jjk26:

If you switch, how do you know that AMC won't pick a fight with your new provider?

A lot of ignorant people on Twitter are believing this AMC BS. I keep trying to correct them. Look, Verizon can be scummy, but I rarely hear about Verizon ever having a dispute with a cable channel, whereas AMC is getting into knock-down-drag-out fights with providers constantly. First it was their months-long battle with Dish where they kept immaturely and indignantly repeating "NOT AVAILABLE ON DISH" at every possible opportunity, then Suddenlink, and now VZ. So somehow, I don't think Verizon is the main party at fault here -- do you?

I'm also surprised that Verizon has not yet retaliated against AMC with a fake-grassroots Web site in the style of AMC's phoney-baloney "keepAMC" site. I hope Verizon continues to show restraint and be the adults in the room, even if their statements about this dispute are sometimes poorly-edited, long-winded, and weirdly milquetoast.

I do NOT want to pay more for the same channels. I like some AMC programs but I hope VZ drives a hard bargain. Do you think AMC really has the cojones to pull itself from Verizon FiOS and wage another bizarre "NOT AVAILABLE ON" months-long tantrum? I say call their freaking bluff.

The Walking Dead doesn't return until mid-February anyway. Until then AMC has NOTHING.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

said by Ike1:

Do you think AMC really has the cojones to pull itself from Verizon FiOS and wage another bizarre "NOT AVAILABLE ON" months-long tantrum? I say call their freaking bluff.

The Walking Dead doesn't return until mid-February anyway. Until then AMC has NOTHING.

Trouble is, the months long tantrum brings it up to the start of the next season, then the subscribers start wailing "boo-hoo there's no WD what's up with that how could VZ let this happen", then who's in the catbird seat? Two and a half months of no revenue, followed by several years of plus revenue, more than they'd have gotten otherwise. Worked for AMC against Dish, then Suddenlink, why not VZ?

I'm not complaining though. Just call it slightly more transparent negotiations.

lovetv

@verizon.net
reply to alaRobear

I just wanted to mention that you don't have to drop a provider just because they're dropping shows. You can watch them on your laptop by doing a search for the episodes.

I watch gh on youtube because there is no commericals.

bull3964

@verizon.net
reply to jmcging

The thing that's particularly low about AMC's tactics this time is that they started this campaign before any contract negotiations broke down. They are starting it earlier and earlier every time. They are basically painting a false statement.

AMC: Verizon is going to take away your channel! Rally and tell them you want to keep it!

Verizon: What the hell, we just started good faith negotiations for the renewal of the carriage agreement. Why are you trying to turn our userbase against us?

It's a slimy move. AMC lost both revenue and face when it was removed from Dish for so long so they changed up tactics this time and have started the "keepAMC" campaign MUCH further out from the date at which the current agreement expires.

I love TWD, but I hope Verizon leaves the negotiating table over this. AMC has soured the negotiations by incensing Verizon's user base far sooner than they had any right to as a premptive negotiating move. I think TWD's ratings have gone to AMC's head and they think they are in a stronger negotiating position than they really are.

Meanwhile, EVERYONE (not just Verizon users) had to suffer that dumb crawler across the bottom of the screen with a shrunken picture while they are trying to ENJOY the shows that AMC puts out. That, by itself, made me wish for Verizon to drop the channel. I'll catch the episodes on Netflix when they come out which are higher quality than the crap that AMC pushes out anyways.