share rss forum feed

SueS
Premium
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO
kudos:2

1 edit

What do you do with your photos?

For personal use of photos I ordered a print and will be framing for a gift. Ordered some calendars for 2013, some will be gifts, one for me. I have the photo ready for my Christmas card.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

I'm still dithering over matting for prints, mounting, framing etc. I've printed a few for friends. All are archived for future use.

Heck, maybe the fun is in the taking more than displaying.
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

1 recommendation

said by EGeezer:

Heck, maybe the fun is in the taking more than displaying.

This is the case for me for the most part, though I do share my iPhone photos online (instagram, flickr, tumbler, facebook, etc) for friends.

I'm starting to get into photographing birds so I might actually print and display a few eventually.

A number of years ago, I used a large number of my printed photos for scrapbooking and before that, I was having a lot of fun sneaking a camera (capable of using 3200 speed film) into concerts and taking photos. That was pre-digital for me and I pretty much shot 100% in film (versus slides). I still have a number of those framed/matted but they haven't been up on a wall in quite awhile...
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Premium
join:2005-03-29
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to SueS

If it's not on a wall, it's just a collection of bits you can occasionally look at, if you remember to.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

3 recommendations

If it's not online, it's just a collection of bits people can only see when they're in front of your wall
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Dexter
Premium
join:2003-08-07
Beverly, MA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to SueS

I'm in the process of filling photo albums for my wife for Christmas.

After 7 years of marriage & 2 kids (5 & 6 years old) I realized we have very few pictures actually printed.

I've just finished filling 10 albums @ 200 photos each. I've got 600 prints that haven't been delivered yet, & 3 years of photos left to go through on hard drives!

--
My Pbase Gallery

Premium
reply to darcilicious

Well said, but wait 30 years; how many people currently visit your online wall?

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

1 recommendation

reply to SueS

Other than uploading for saving and enjoyment for others when they ask to see more of my photos, I rarely do anything with them. i do use some for home made cards, but my photos are shot for my enjoyment for the most part. I have them all on CD's, but I rarely look back at them. I have a relative that uses many of them for a possible business, but that remains to be seen...literally.

SueS
Premium
Macon, MO
reply to Dexter

said by Dexter:

I'm in the process of filling photo albums for my wife for Christmas.

After 7 years of marriage & 2 kids (5 & 6 years old) I realized we have very few pictures actually printed.

I've just finished filling 10 albums @ 200 photos each. I've got 600 prints that haven't been delivered yet, & 3 years of photos left to go through on hard drives!

Your wife is going to be delighted!

SueS
Premium
Macon, MO

1 recommendation

reply to SueS

Dexters post reminded me of a book I made this past summer. The photos are of my grandson playing baseball, and I made the book for him. I think the book will mean more to him when he is older than it does now.

If I never made a cent off my photos I would still get plenty of enjoyment out of my camera and photos.

What is funny is my daughter in-law in another state uses some of the photos I take when we are together along with her photos and makes me a book for mother's day. My son says they are not afraid of copywrite infrengment.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to 29886823

said by 29886823:

Well said, but wait 30 years; how many people currently visit your online wall?

A heck of a lot more than visit my home regularly I have a sister in Australia and all my in-laws are in Norway and Sweden, for starters. Never mind all the friendships I have with people I've never met face to face

I'm not sure what I'm waiting for (re: "30 years"); I can't imagine any photo of mine (even if I thought it was perfect in every way) that I would have on my wall for 30 years...
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Premium

As far as I can see you have 4 photos online here - where are the rest?
As for having photos hanging for thirty years - well, I've got some on my walls right now, and I guess I like some of my photos that much!

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by 29886823:

As far as I can see you have 4 photos online here - where are the rest?

As I said before: instagram, facebook, flickr, etc. Also, I occasionally post to other threads here, e.g. the scavenger hunt, phone photos, etc. [Edit: my bad, I had a post that mentioned instagram, flickr, facebook and it somehow didn't get posted; so. that's where most of my photos are in order to share with family and friends]

As for having photos hanging for thirty years - well, I've got some on my walls right now, and I guess I like some of my photos that much!

So I have to wait another thirty years for you change them?
--
♬ Music is life ♬

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to SueS

I've got exactly one photo that I've taken of something OTHER than family hanging on my walls.

It's this (»/showpic/dimag···4682&1=1) photo and it's printed at 8x10, with a mat and white frame. It happens to be hanging over the toilet in our guest bathroom

The vast majority of my other photos end up on flickr or on facebook. I've given lots of prints to people, usually 4x6s.

I really need to sit down and get some printed.
--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me

SueS
Premium
Macon, MO

On the wall where my computer is I have one of those plastic frames that holds 10 4x6 photos. I use it for snapshots of the grands and change them often. In the rest of the house I have 18 prints either on the walls or in frames that sit on tables.

Premium
reply to darcilicious

Yes.

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium
join:2005-05-21
Winnipeg, MB

3 recommendations

reply to SueS

Sit on HDD. Only a few on walls. Some get circulated to friends and family. Got a website up and running because of exhibition earlier this year. One coming up next year and another in 2014. Online is OK but I am leaning towards more exposure for my work, within my community. For that, exhibitions are the way to go. And for WOW factor, they can't be beat. Simple framing, good lighting. Consider monitor size over a 60"x40" on a wall. And not all monitors are created equal nor calibrated the same.

Can be costly, however

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

1 recommendation

reply to drew

Click for full size
Panasonic DMC-ZS6
12.8mm 1/10th +0.3ev F4.2 ISO400

I just couldn't help myself and had to take a quick snap shot of what is over our toilet! (Ignore the color etc. as the camera wasn't set to take this picture.)

Mags

@army.mil
reply to SueS

I put my best into a magazine and send to my family. The magazine is essentially print on demand but for my family I pay to have them printed and shipped to them. That in and of itself is worth the cost.

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium
join:2005-05-21
Winnipeg, MB
reply to SueS

Where do you get your mags printed?

Mags

@army.mil

»www.magcloud.com/?gclid=CK2KnY7U···odIVF54g

It's not cheap but at least I don't have to worry about paying for 1,000 copies and have 999 sitting in my basement. It's been a fun process and I have learned alot about publishing a magazine.

Exit
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-04-10
Canada

1 recommendation

reply to SueS

Most of what I shoot ends up in print or online somewhere. A lot of my personal work hasn't been shown anywhere yet, but I guess at some point in the future I'll have a show of some kind

TheHarvester
Premium
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA

1 recommendation

reply to SueS

Post a few here, put a few on my website and send to my cell phone for background image but the majority sit on my computer and my backup hard drives.
--
mbsastronomy.com

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

reply to SueS

I'll print small sizes as for others that ask, have printed one large one so far (want to do more, but need the wife to pick from what I have or commission some new works; I don't get to choose what goes on the walls lol), and will post random shots here (more so in threads than the Gallery). I got a digital photo from a year or two back, but have yet to get around to putting anything on it. For events that the kids participate in, I use them as opportunities to get some practice in (aka I overshoot every aspect of it), and will often give some of the other parents a cd of their kids. But the vast majority are just residing on my hard drive. I never delete anything, not even blatant screw ups, as I try to revisit them with a new eye. I'd hate to come across a new idea or technique and find that shot I deleted last year really did have merit when observed from a different point of view. My shooting time is limited, but my editing time even more so (plus I don't really care for it), so there is a backlog of years on many of my shots.

SueS
Premium
Macon, MO

The great benefit of being the lady of the house, it is my call when it comes to hanging photos on the walls.