uniqs
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4

Re: [The Grey Cup 100th!]You watching the CFL Grey Cup Sunday?

Why was Justin Bieber booed?
»www.thestar.com/entertai ··· ime-show

I'm certainly not a fan, but why did they hate him so much?

He hasn't drowned any kittens AFAIK.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Because people want to be entertained, not annoyed!

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
I don't get the hate on either. I may not like his music, but there's a reason he's so popular.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS

TLS2000

Premium Member

The fact is, the majority of CFL fans are male and 30+ years old. Bieber is NOT who they want to hear.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

1 recommendation

vue666 (banned) to shaner

to shaner
said by shaner:

I don't get the hate on either. I may not like his music, but there's a reason he's so popular.

It's probably because the bulk demographics of the CFL fans are not 14 year old girls...
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by vue666:

said by shaner:

It's probably because the bulk demographics of the CFL fans are not 14 year old girls...

I think you are right, in which case it was a strange choice for the halftime show....

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer704:

I think you are right, in which case it was a strange choice for the halftime show....

Extremely poor choice. There's a lot better Canadian talent out there.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

Why does it even have to be Canadian talent after all didn't the Rolling Stones appear at the Super Bowl?

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by vue666:

Why does it even have to be Canadian talent after all didn't the Rolling Stones appear at the Super Bowl?

It doesn't I guess... But they do tend to be Canadian-centric, no?

I think they had Lenny Kravitz once, so its not exclusively Canadian.

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

Why was Justin Bieber booed?
»www.thestar.com/entertai ··· ime-show

I'm certainly not a fan, but why did they hate him so much?

He hasn't drowned any kittens AFAIK.

The same reason we hate Celine Dion. Canadians are jealous of success. Would the Stones appear in a Grey Cup? Patriotic we may be but its not the highly visible SB.

I spent the entire Grey Cup game wondering how the Lions lost to this Calgary team.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by capdjq:

The same reason we hate Celine Dion. Canadians are jealous of success.

Please. There's a big difference. The football fans just werent happy that they put on a pre pubescent pipsqueak to perform at a football game whose general audience are 13 year old girls...
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned) to capdjq

to capdjq
How many Celine Dion cds or lps do you own?
How many of Justin Bieber?

Now compare that tally with the Rolling Stones cds & lps you own...

Bieber is just not popular with middle aged people. It was unwise to ask him to perform before this audience...

I suspect if the Stones of Bruce Springsteen performed before a Justin Bieber crowd, they too would have been booed...

Jimi Hendrix was once booed when he was the opening act for The Monkees...

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

said by vue666:

Jimi Hendrix was once booed when he was the opening act for The Monkees...

It took me a bit to track it down, but I remember being at a concert at the CNE (1983) where the opening act for David Bowie was booed. The opening act was Rough Trade, and they really didn't go over well with the crowd.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to capdjq

Premium Member

to capdjq
quote:
I spent the entire Grey Cup game wondering how the Lions lost to this Calgary team.
So did I.............which made it more enjoyable to see them get trampled.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to vue666

to vue666
said by vue666:

How many Celine Dion cds or lps do you own?
How many of Justin Bieber?

I've got Barenaked Ladies CDs. They're VERY Canadian. And popular!
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

How about Rolling Stones?

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
I agree that he shouldn't have been booed. However, I wonder how much brain power was used in deciding to bring him in. Was it a favour for someone in management for his/her daughter? I'm pretty anyone with a partial brain would have known this wouldn't go over too well with a football crowd.

btB
@rr.com

btB

Anon

Actually, it is my opinion that is was a no-brainer to have Bieber there. Like it or not, the guy has one of the (if not the most) popular song for the last month or so. So, the guy is a legitimate star right now. It is not like he is somebody who has potential that nobody has ever heard of or somebody who may have been a star 20-30 years ago. Plus, he is supposedly from that area. You, me, and other football fans may not see his appeal, but that is not the point. The reason the CFL wanted him there is to appeal to the next generation. The league's goal was obviously to get tomorrow's fan to tune in any means possible, hope they give the CFL a shot, and hope they will be season ticket holders in the future.

Honestly if it weren't for that article saying that there was booing, I would not have even noticed it.
btB

btB

Anon

Bieber and the other entertainers were to me all fine. A couple songs at the most, and they were done. Certainly no worse than what home teams would normally use for halftime entertainment during the regular season.

Actually, the worst part of the broadcast by far was the Coach's Corner segment Paul LaPolice. All of those bits were disasters. It looked like he was high atop the stadium because nobody wanted to be near him. Of course that is not true, but that is what it looked like. Plus whenever he tried to explain something, he just mumbled something that did not seem to match what he was diagramming. There was one time where the replay was continuing and arrows were being drawn, yet LaPolice had stopped talking 10 seconds ago. Another time, he was trying to point some significant play. However, that play happened 2 quarters ago. Worse part of all this is that LaPolice probably has the whole quarter to rehearse these 30 second segments, yet he still failed miserably at them. Maybe he will be better with practice, but for the Grey Cup, the guy simply should not have been on by himself. TSN should have used Duane Forde or anybody to help him out. Actually, I don't know why TSN did not use Forde at all. Black is not so great, but Forde is a very good color commentator.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

Bieber is just lucky Labatts bottles, rotten eggs and chairs were not thrown at him... LOL

capdjq
Premium Member
Vancouver

capdjq

Premium Member

The reason we spend the Grey Cup thread criticizing, rightly or wrongly, the half-time "Entertainment", was because the actually game was terrible. It was essentially over at half time and only one team showed up to play....the Argos. I'm happy for Toronto.

I have no problems with Bieber and Carly Rae, good Canadian kids.
But I have a difficult time trying to decide why Burton Cummings' rendition of our National Anthem wasn't vetted before the Game, during rehearsals. Cummings is a National Icon who will have as his lasting legacy the Grey Cup National anthem.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to btB

to btB
said by btB :

Actually, it is my opinion that is was a no-brainer to have Bieber there. Like it or not, the guy has one of the (if not the most) popular song for the last month or so.

Targeted at an audience that doesn't watch football. And people who watch football don't listen to "The Bieb".

No wonder he got booed.
Robrr
join:2008-04-19

Robrr to btB

to btB
said by btB :

Actually, it is my opinion that is was a no-brainer to have Bieber there. Like it or not, the guy has one of the (if not the most) popular song for the last month or so. So, the guy is a legitimate star right now. It is not like he is somebody who has potential that nobody has ever heard of or somebody who may have been a star 20-30 years ago. Plus, he is supposedly from that area. You, me, and other football fans may not see his appeal, but that is not the point. The reason the CFL wanted him there is to appeal to the next generation. The league's goal was obviously to get tomorrow's fan to tune in any means possible, hope they give the CFL a shot, and hope they will be season ticket holders in the future.

Honestly if it weren't for that article saying that there was booing, I would not have even noticed it.

There are many other Canadian entertainment options that would have been a much better fit that Justin Bieber that would have also been a hit with both the younger and older crowds. Examples include:

Billy Talent
Thornley
Sam Roberts
Finger Eleven
Three Days Grace
The Trews
Alexisonfire
Theory of a Deadman
Hedley

Hell I hate to say this but even Nickelback would have been a better option than Bieber.

Bieber suffered from the fact that he is manufactured talent. Watching him perform, it was blatantly obvious that he was just a puppet on stage who at times couldn't even keep sync with the rest of the performers on stage.

capdjq
Premium Member
Vancouver

capdjq

Premium Member

Didn't anyone watch the Game and have comments on it?

btB
@rr.com

btB to Robrr

Anon

to Robrr
said by Robrr:

There are many other Canadian entertainment options that would have been a much better fit that Justin Bieber that would have also been a hit with both the younger and older crowds. Examples include:

Billy Talent
Thornley
Sam Roberts
Finger Eleven
Three Days Grace
The Trews
Alexisonfire
Theory of a Deadman
Hedley

Well, the other reason was to get as many people watching as possible. Furthermore, the CFL wants to be known as a big-time league than can get "A-List" stars. No offense to those people you named, but the worldwide (or however many countries) tv audience probably have not heard of most of those on the list.