share rss forum feed

ITICharlie1
Premium
join:2003-01-22
St. Louis MO

Garage work and changes

Click for full size
Click for full size
Due to rot I need to replace some of the sills and bottoms of 2x4's in the garage. What I'm thinking is have concrete block laid and the wall will sit on top of them. The retaining wall on the right does go through the garage and that wall currently sits on it and is in great shape. The front and left side are the walls with rotted wood. That in itself will not be a problem, but I'm thinking since I have to have the work done to have the left side of the garage wall taken out completely and have the front wall extended to the side of the house. This will give me needed room. The garage is attached to the house vie a small room in the back of the house. What I'm not sure of is how to handle the roofs. Any suggestions?
--
Don't let my reality hinder your imagination!

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

I don't think it would be worth it. Just fixing the garage is a repair job. No permit BS and hoops to jump through.

Closing in that little gap will require permits, inspections, stamped drawings, probably a new roof, etc...
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to ITICharlie1

Yea closing the gap would require a permit. I can't imagine they'd want stamped drawing for that though. There would be no engineered products in that project to require being stamped. You'd just need a new roof over that expansion area. Doesn't seem like a big deal to repair the garage or close that gap. Naturally closing the gap will cost more but it will also add value to the house. That would add square footage to the general living area so most likely it would pay for itself in increased property value. Just remember that means your taxes would go up a little as well.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!