rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to jasmo34

Re: Switched to Start from cogeco; Speedtest puzzle

Yes our plan is to see if we can get them established in both London and Toronto. As for why some sites only come up some times, that'd be a question for speedtest.net. Likely they do some calculations to decide who comes up likely based on round-robin or some other weighting.

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON

1 edit

said by rocca:

... As for why some sites only come up some times, that'd be a question for speedtest.net. ...

I just knew you'd say that; an inquiry is already in to support @ speedtest.net. Might I add another possible reason... the priority site listing is actually paid for!

BTW, this afternoon I got my fastest ever DL results under Firefox, on my low-speed DSL, from speedtest.net, using TORONTO/RADIANT.

I won't post the actual test image; it would be embarassing after Qsig's numbers above!
(5242/661/10ms) ... Edit: Even newer "fastest ever" DL test for me using FF (5448/663/26ms), using Kitchener/Netflash)

~~~

Edit... Some additional testing has also made some Speedtest.net options clearer. As expected, some of the test's operations and some results depend upon what SETTINGS you have chosen. Most notably, whether you have chosen a Preferred Server in SETTINGS, can affect what servers you see in a 'hover', and also what large operational buttons you see on the test screen.

I can now see 3 server choices again when I hover over Toronto (but I still never see Radiant). That is accomplished by either clearing my PREFERRED SERVER, or setting it to a server in another location; I have now set my PREFERRED SERVER to Kitchener/Netflash.

But, why don't I see all 4 that are available from Toronto? I can see up to 5 servers at other locations (Chicago IL, London ENG). Oh, the zoom level of the little map in speedtest may affect what servers you see over a particular location dot.

Hopefully, some further info from speedtest.net will explain some other things, that aren't quite explained in their FAQ's.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to rocca

Having tired of this problem, I bookmarked Nexicom's server.

»nexicom.speedtest.net

When I go there by link, the site regards it as my preferred server.

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
reply to ell

Re: Switched to Start from cogeco

Start has direct peering with Bell so if they ever do throw up a speedtest.net server Qsig should max out

»bgp.he.net/AS40788#_peers

Tedsky

join:2009-05-01
Welland, ON

FWIW, try a Speedtest with Fibrenoire (Montreal) as your preferred server.

I haven't yet received anything higher than a 20ms ping
Nothing less than 20.xx mbps DN or 2.xx UP on 20/2 service.

My 2 cents
Ted

DeViLzzz

join:2004-07-29
Sarnia, ON
reply to Qsig

Re: Switched to Start from cogeco looks like a big speed drop

said by Qsig:

MORE POWER CAPTAIN

Teksavvy:

Comcast in Chicago:

I'm in Ottawa on Fibe 175/175

I want to puke and cry at the same time. If I had that I could definitely stream in 720p and 1080p. Still this must cost you mucho dollars.