Search similar:

uniqs
Stockmoose16
join:2003-11-18
Burbank, CA

Stockmoose16

Slingbox on 3rd party devices

Hi,

I have a Slingbox 350 hooked up at a 3rd party location to a Charter Cable box with upload speeds around 100 mb/s . I can watch the Slingbox on my Android phone, PC, and Ipad without issue. But what I'm trying to do is get the Slingbox to stream smoothly on my HDTV at home.

I have purchased two different devices to accomplish this, and both have had the same issue. First, let me explain my internet setup at home. I do not subscribe to High Speed internet or DSL, I simply use my Droid Razr phone with 4G unlimited data from Verizon as a hotspot (using Wifi Tether). My home computer gets internet without issue, and I can watch Slingbox streams just fine with it (same goes for my Ipad when tethered to my phone).

As mentioned, I've purchased two third party devices to try streaming directly to my HDTVs, and had issues with both. First, I purchased the Western Digital TV Live Streaming Media Player, and though the device would connect to my phone's Ad Hoc internet hotspot, the Slingplayer app had trouble connecting 9 times out of 10. When it did connect, it would completely freeze within a few minutes, if not a few seconds.

I assumed this was an issue with the WDTV box, so I went ahead and returned it, trading it for a 2nd generation Sony Google TV (NSZ-GS7). Again, the Sony device connected just fine to my phone's internet, but when I tried to run the Slingplayer app, about half the time it would time out before connecting to the Slingbox. Just like the WDTV, when it did connect, it would constantly stutter or flat out freeze.

So here I am, asking what the issue is? It's clear the Slingbox works fine, since I can view it on multiple devices without issue (multiple devices, I might add, that use my phone's 4g as the internet connection source). But what's the problem with these 3rd party devices? I've posted on the Slingbox forums, and others have said they've had great success with the Sony box. Is it being finicky because I'm using 4G from the phone instead of internet from my cable company?

I can't put my finger on how to fix this issue, and I don't want to subscribe to Time Warner internet unless doing so will 100% fix the issue. Getting my Slingbox to work will mean I can avoid purchasing cable for my house - that's a huge savings.

Any suggestions?
spacecamel
join:2004-09-10
Katy, TX

spacecamel

I think your slingplayer is having trouble resolving the IP address of your slingbox. Try a hard connection to your computer and sharing the WiFi though it. You could also just get an AppleTv and airplay through it from your IPad or from your PC using AirParrot.